Does Advil make it worse?

Just a quick question, my urologist told me to take Advil for the pain when I have flare ups, I tried one and I felt like the Advil was burning, it seemed to make it so much worse. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this reaction?

ICN Member
    Advial (ibuprophen) is well-known for it's acidic properties, and most ICers cannot take it for this reason.
    Your URO should know better if they know anything about IC.

Try asking for a prescription of Tramadol for pain relief- it's non-narcotic, often effective, and also has some anti-inflammatory properties; a nice side-effect.

Lynne

Thank you so much, I hate my urologist. He is no help at all. I am going to ask my family doctor for tramadol.

Thanks again:-)

Ibuprofen doesn't bother my bladder, but it causes me severe gastric pain after about two doses so I just don't take it.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I can't take ibuprofen either -- Tylenol, yes, but not ibuprofen. I tried way back in the beginning to relieve pain with Advil and ended up in worse pain than before I took it! You're not alone on that one.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I can't take ibuprofen at all it makes my bladder burn really bad and upsets my tummy also.

It makes me mad how these uros conveniently forget that all medicines eventually find their way to the bladder.

Ever since I came down with IC I have lost a lot of respect for doctors.

Blessings,
    Lori

That is so true - I lost respect in doctors too from this whole experience. I used to think that they knew everything. And now I have realized that I have to seriously consider everything they say because I can't trust them. I am sure some people have great doctors but I personally have not found one yet. My family doctor is nice but he does not know much about IC - atleast he admits it.

It is nice to know that others have had that affect from advil- because I was wondering if I was crazy :-) I was just diagnosed with IC and I am finding it hard to determine what worsens the flares- now I know - No more advil/ibuphrophen

Thanks guys!

I was just logging on to look up this very thing. My bladder issues are mostly under control due to Physical Therapy for PFD but I still have various dietary sensitivities. Advil seems to be one of them. I'm having bad tooth pain from a wisdom tooth that's trying to come in the wrong way and I've been taking Advil several times a day to help it. It really does help the tooth pain but I've also been flaring ever since I started taking it.

So yes, I'd say it does make it worse and I'm going to try something else tomorrow (Tylenol or Aleve).
    Pikkumyy - special ed teacher, wife, wild animal rehabber, and PFD patient since the horrible kidney infection of 2000. In remission since 9/04

Ibprofen Works for me

Hi everyone,
    I'm really suprised you guys have had bad experiences with ibprofen. It's the only thing that really helps me in a bad flare. It gets rid of the awful urtheral burning and feeling like i have to pee every minute sensations. I wonder if you are all just taking the wrong brand. Advil has quite a few additives, maybe it is the inert ingredients you are reacting to. I take the store brand (cvs) it seems to have less ingredients in it. Just a suggestion. But as we know...we are different!
    Kim

Thread Information