Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving

Thread: Brown Tongue

ICN Member

Brown Tongue

For the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that my tongue is brown. It doesn't hurt - it's just brown. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Any ideas?

Dream with the feathers of angels stuffed beneath your head - Clutch

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

Usually it's caused by something you are eating or drinking. You might want to have a look at your diet to see if you can pinpoint a cause. Are you a smoker? Around anyone who smokes? That can discolor the tongue too.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Nope, sorry, no ideas. I hope someone does though. I'd be interested in knowing the cause, myself. It sounds strange....a brown tongue.Hmmmm.
    I HAVE LYME TOO

For info. on lyme disease in PA..
    Visit: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PennsylvaniaLyme

God Bless You!
    Glenda

Never heard of this one. I have heard of Thrush and so forth. I hope you find out what is causing it.
    God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
    www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
    Interstim Sept 2001
    1st InterStim Removal May 2005
    2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
    2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
    Hysterectomy 1999
    Tubes Tied 1997
    C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Hmmm. No idea. Could it be a side effect of one of your meds? I know a lot of meds can cause discoloration of body parts and this effect is often in the fine print. You can go online to http://www.rxlist.com (one of my favorite drug reference sites) and see if any of them have this as a reported side effect.

If that's not it, and it's not diet related, maybe talk to your doc if it is worrying you.

This is a strange one! Let us know what happens
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Angel watching over us
    I think Donna's idea makes sense--are you a smoker? The only other thing I can think of is that some antibiotics make your tongue black or brown.

Hugs,
    Barb
    (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
    :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
    :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
    I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
    PCOS 7/85
    RSD 7/94 :headbang:
    Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
    Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
    Kidney stones--too many to count
    Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
    IC 6/03 :evilsmile
    Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
    "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
    "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

ICN Member
    I first noticed it after I had a cup of hot chocolate, but I think that would be worn off by now. I am a smoker, but is this something that just happens after so many years of smoking? I mean, I've never had a brown tongue before. I have a lot of friends who smoke & they've never had a brown tongue. Just wondering. I can't think of anything in my diet that I eat on a regular basis that would cause it. I've checked my med's side effects & nothing there. I was given antibiotics last week when I had my cysto/hydro, but my tongue was brown before then. I dunno?

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

brown tongue

I have it too! I am a smoker, and drink coffee and coke. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and I drink a few cokes during the day. I can use a toothbrush and brush my tongue a few times and it will go away for a little bit, or I can scrape my tongue down my front teeth and it will remove a little of the film on it.
    So I attribute it to the coke..lets see if we take the same med too
    I take
    Oxycontin for pain
    Klonipin for anxiety
    Synthroid for thyroid replacement
    Trazadone for sleep
    Progesterone & Estrogen compounding pharmacy meds for hormone replacement
    I know the trazadone makes my mouth dry, so that may make coloring stick to it.

Jazz
    IC since 1980,Interstim 5/25/2005, Hyst, Deg. disk disease, VV, Hydrodistentions every year,urine capacity 175cc; Synthroid,, Biodentical Hormones,Atarax,Trazadone, , Anxiety,Depression, diagnossed with Huntingtons Disease 2003 ....RN

my story: www.ic-network.com/patientstories/nancyhtml

ICN Member
    I did some research & I think it is thrush that has turned brown because of diet/smoking. I usually take probiotics to keep the yeast at bay, but had been out of them for a while, which is why I got thrush (plus the fact I was given antibiotics). Since I've been taking my probiotics again, the brown tongue has gone away. Yippie!

ok did a google search and found this link, it even has pictures.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003047.htm
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Thread Information