Latest Blog Article: Is Interstitial Cystitis Caused by Anger? No!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question D-Mannose Side Effects?

I started a large dose of d-mannose yesterday and felt ill afterwards. I wasnt sure if it was the d-mannose or something else. I also have a had a bad migraine since yesterday. it could be a number of things with me....food allergies being the first but I was curous if anyone else had any type of reaction with d-mannose. I thought it was supposed to be safe. I just want to scratch it off my list of possible reaction and move on. I hear there a lot of girls reporting help from it.
    thanks guys,
    mel
    Mel

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...1169174549.pbw

Frequent UTI's as a child,urethral stenosis by age 9, Urethral dilatations every 2 months. By age 20urethrotomy to remove scar tissue from dilatations.
    Questionable endometriosis nightmare begins. First lap severed an artery. Lost lots of blood resulting in severe abdominal/pelvic adhesions. Needed 7 surgeries to clean up adhesions. Last adhesiolysis- 7/04 in Germany by adhesion expert using Spraygel. Finally adhesion free! Fibromylagia and chronic fatigue(from Parvo Virus infection 1997and Epstein Barr), migraines, IBS,IGG & IGA deficiencies, high IGM.Lots of food and envorionmental allergies.IC/PFD diagnosed after 4 endo surgeries and is now chronic daily pain.Still tryng to fine tune the diet and get on some sort of medication that I don't react too!

I didn't have that reaction but anything is possible...

I'm curious what you mean by a "large dose." The brands I have seen recommend one teaspoon maximum dose....have you taken more than that?

Blessings,
    Lori

The one that i have is in capsule form. It recommends taking 3 caps every 2 hours during an acute infection...so about 21 capsules in one day...........then 15 caps the next and less on the third day. After that you go on a maintenance program of 3 -6 caps a day.
    My nutritionist came by yesterday with my probiotics and brought this too me but I didn't start taking it till the afternoon. I only got in about 9 capsules but I wasn't feeling well with other stuff so I did't take anymore.
    Is it helping you? I read that in addition to helping you get rid of the e coli it can help with soothing the bladder.
    My brand is from bio-tech-pharm.
    Do you also take cranactin? I am considering starting that too.
    Mel

Frequent UTI's as a child,urethral stenosis by age 9, Urethral dilatations every 2 months. By age 20urethrotomy to remove scar tissue from dilatations.
    Questionable endometriosis nightmare begins. First lap severed an artery. Lost lots of blood resulting in severe abdominal/pelvic adhesions. Needed 7 surgeries to clean up adhesions. Last adhesiolysis- 7/04 in Germany by adhesion expert using Spraygel. Finally adhesion free! Fibromylagia and chronic fatigue(from Parvo Virus infection 1997and Epstein Barr), migraines, IBS,IGG & IGA deficiencies, high IGM.Lots of food and envorionmental allergies.IC/PFD diagnosed after 4 endo surgeries and is now chronic daily pain.Still tryng to fine tune the diet and get on some sort of medication that I don't react too!

Hi, Mela, well, it's certainly possible, although I haven't read that as one of the possible side effects. But we can react badly to any foods, or any medicines, certainly.

One thing that I find sometimes is that if I take several medicines or herbal remedies at the same time, starting them at the same time I mean, I do have a hard time telling which ones are hurting and which are helping, and which are causing reactions. It can be very confusing.

What I learned to do, for instance with the antidepressants that I always react badly to eventually, is to take just that pill, with nothing else, and watch my reactions very carefully, even recording my symptoms so that I keep track of them. If my symptoms come back just from that one medicine, then I can be reasonably sure that I am having a reaction to that one medicine.

I hope you feel better soon.

I am not currently taking d-mannose (although I did find it soothing and helpful at the time) because I am in remission from taking misoprostol (prescription medicine used to heal stomach ulcers which apparently also can heal the bladder lining in about 87% of IC'ers according to one study.)

I hope that you are able to figure out if the d-mannose caused your bad reaction, and that you will be feeling better soon.

Thank you for letting us know - I am always so grateful when people post their reactions to any medicine or any herbal preparation, whether the reaction is good, bad, or neutral. The more knowledge we share with each other, the better off we will be!

Blessings,
    Lori

I would like to find more information on the misoprostol. I'll look it up online.
    How long have you been on it and what syptoms did you have?
    thanks,
    Mel

Hi, Mela, I've been on it now since 19 December (not long) and the symptoms I had before starting it, for the almost six years I've had IC, were frequency/urgency/pain. It felt like my bladder was always full and uncomfortable. It felt like I had a bad bladder infection all the time. Sometimes I got stabbing pains in my urethra but only when I was flaring badly.

Let me give you a link to a thread where I was talking about this: (You can also pull up very interesting old posts by Norm about this drug by doing a search using the word "prostaglandins"....

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...8&page=1&pp=15

Hope this helps some.

I had a VERY hard time finding a doc to let me try this because it is a drug that can cause miscarriages if you become pregnant. It took me 2 years, five docs and being at the point where bladder removal was my last remaining option to try.

Blessings,
    Lori

Thanks for all the info Lori,
    I did read through most of the posts. I want to take my time and research it some more.
    I eased up on all meds today and started to feel al ittle better by noon. I had my home made chicken soup which was fine and decided to take one d -mannose with it. An hour late I took another as it says you should take 3 a day for maintenance and I was told that you can take all 3 at one time. Anyway, no sooner than i took it I started to feel nauseous, sour stomach, and physically sick..........hmmmmmmmmmm then I felt indigestion which was relieved a little by...hate to say it...."burping".
    The headache started to come back and I felt fluish. I am not taking anymore til I see my nutritionist on wed. I didn't take anything else soooooooo I'm sure that it was directly related to the d-mannose. My gut now feels raw and sick. Oh well...........I have to pull myself together to go to my sister's for NYE party gathering tonight.
    I hope you have a happy and healthy New Year. Thanks for your help!
    Mel

That sure sounds like a reaction to the d-mannose! I'm sorry it made you sick instead of helping you!

I hope you feel much better soon! Hopefully you will find a medicine soon that helps you with the IC pain too.

Blessings,
    Lori

ICN Member

capsule allergy

Could you be allergic to the capsule? Mannose is a sugar, are you diabetic?Although I think they use it with diabetics also. I think the powder is far better to take and control than the capsules. You just mix a teaspoon into either water or any drink. It has a sweet taste.
    I have used Mannose for three years off and on and thank goodness never encountered what you are talking about-I also only used powder.
    Sami

Migraines can be because of an allergic reaction. So very sorry that you got sick instead of better. As I am sure you know we can be allergic to perfectly natural things as well as anything thing else. I hope you feel better soon!!!!!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

That's a good idea about the sugar. hhhhhhmmmmm. I'm not diabetic but maybe it's making me sick. I am not going to take it today and see how I feel. If I don't get the nausea and sick feelig then I know it was it. Mybe ...just maybe if I have enough nerve I can try to open the capsule and spinkle half into some water.
    Boy..........this ain't easy. if it's not one thing it's another.
    let hoe this new year brings improvements for all of us.
    Mel

Mela, maybe it's best not to try it again - if it is an allergic reaction, you could react even worse this time. Better safe than sorry. I understand completely how disappointing it is when a medicine doesn't work the way you hoped it would.

Hope you feel better soon,

Blessings,
    Lori

Mel, I sure now what it is like to have it be if not one thing another....or a med working great on IC but doing a number on some other health condition...or more often a treatment for some other condition doing a number on my IC. There are a lot of options out there and you may want to try others before trying that one again. Lori is one who has tried a number of treatments....and still ended up finding a treatment plan that worked for her. It does happen even when it is a difficult process.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

thank you ladies. I didn't take the d-mannose at all today and I did not get that nausous sick flu like feeling. I may be better off leaving it alone. I think I might try cranactin now to try to keep the bacteria away. Has anyone had any results with this. I am so afraid it is going to hurt me.
    This morning was such an emotional day for me....I woke up crying and have been all day. Sometimes the disappointment is too overwhelming. I guess the holidays do it to me more.....seeing my siblings with their beautiful children and me struggling to get by each day living with pain Hubby wanted to ring in the new year intimately last night and even though I as soooooo careful...(no penetration) I woke with PFD pain. Everything was in a spasm. Of course I was tense beforehand....and needed to take an ativan but it didnt' help. I needed another ativan this morning.
    My IC started to flare after I cheated on some potatoe ships at my sister's.....I should have been more careful. I brought my own dinner but snacked on them a little as dinner was not for another 2 hours! sure enough...the pain started about an hour or so later. I checked the ingredients of the chips...they had SOY a big trigger for me.by the time I got home....all i wanted to do was go to bed......all hubby wanted to do was love me.......oh well.........we did the best we could and he is so loving and considerate but I wound up spasming with my muscles this morning and it hurt sooooo much. It's finally a little better now..........
    OH well.............. let me get off my soap box. Gotta pick myself up and start all over again.
    A new year..........new hopes and dreams!
    I pray that all of you have a healthy and happy new year with relief of pain. Wouldn't that be wonderful!
    Mel

Sami,
    I think you are on to something about the mannose being a sugar. I am being treated for Leaky Gut and a lot of things bother me....alleriges have gotten worse....etc.
    anyway, after doing some Leaky Gut reserach on line I found that they use mannitol to see if you have leaky gut. I somehow think that mannitol and mannose are related and that I am reacting badly to it. I'm staying away from it for now and am going to try real hard to heal this leaky gut!
    Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information