Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Is magnesium and B-vitamins bad for IC?

I just read in one of the IC books from the bookstore that magnesium was a "known" bladder irritant. It wasnt known to me, and I take it at 200 mg once daily with calcium citrate. Now I am wondering if it is causing some of my burning, or urgency?
    I know that B-complex as a capsule gives me pain and pees and that niacin, is bad for bladder but B-6 is supposed to be good?
    Anyone had a reaction from magnesium? Some bottled water is high in magnesium.
    Sammie

Sami... if it hurts... try eliminating it from your diet. B-6 is a WELL KNOWN irritant... magnesium less so... but, still, it's all about what works in your body. If magnesium hurts, it's time to stop it!

The book "A Taste of the Good Life: A Cookbook for an IC Diet" has an excellent appendix on vitamins.... that is worth the cost of the book alone. You can buy the book in our shop at: http://www.icnshop.com

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Here is what I found on the ICA about the subject:

2. The B-Complex vitamins, for reasons not clearly understood, can also cause problems with IC. B-12 tends to be especially irritating, while some IC patients seem to be able to tolerate B-6 with the least amount of problems. You may want to try just B6 for a while, instead of a B-complex.
    3. The fat soluble vitamins (A, D and E) should pose no problems. Minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, are also well-tolerated by most IC patients.
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

I've learned through personal experience and reading lots of posts, that almost anything in the world can be an irritant to an IC bladder. I no longer am shocked! Even things that many other IC'ers find okay, have caused flares in me. And sometimes I can tolerate things that other IC'ers find put them in a flare.

Blessings,
    Lori

I just finished my calcium citrate but have a bottle of clacium citrate with magnesium and am now afraid to try it! I am soo sensitive that I probably would be one of the ones to get affected by it. I can't have any water with added minerals as it causes me excructiating pain....and forget vitamins! boy did I learn the hard way!
    If you must try it take a little piece of it and see how you handle it....and then work your way up if you can.
    I'm thinking of not taking it adn running out to the store to get the regular calcium citrate and give the one with the mag to my hubby! He gets all the leftover vitamins and supplements!
    Mel

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...1169174549.pbw

Frequent UTI's as a child,urethral stenosis by age 9, Urethral dilatations every 2 months. By age 20urethrotomy to remove scar tissue from dilatations.
    Questionable endometriosis nightmare begins. First lap severed an artery. Lost lots of blood resulting in severe abdominal/pelvic adhesions. Needed 7 surgeries to clean up adhesions. Last adhesiolysis- 7/04 in Germany by adhesion expert using Spraygel. Finally adhesion free! Fibromylagia and chronic fatigue(from Parvo Virus infection 1997and Epstein Barr), migraines, IBS,IGG & IGA deficiencies, high IGM.Lots of food and envorionmental allergies.IC/PFD diagnosed after 4 endo surgeries and is now chronic daily pain.Still tryng to fine tune the diet and get on some sort of medication that I don't react too!

ICN Member

Book source on IC & magnesium

I read this about magnesium on page 79 and over to page 80 of the Sandler book, Managing Interstitial Cystitis and overlapping conditions. Under the black type heading of Coping with general conditions.......drugs and fillers that may trigger IC pain.
    Other books say that B-6 is the only B vitamin IC patients should take, others say no B.

Sammie

[B]Has anyone had a reaction or heard anything about taking vitamin E? I heard that it is good for the memory but I'm afraid it will cause a flare.

DCS

I take vitamin E (and magnesium) every day with no problem.

Is anyone ok with a B complex? I took half of one yesterday and immediately got pain!
    this is crazy! I am trying to take some extra vitamins becasue of a neuropathy that is getting worse. I thought that vitamins might help it but can't seem to take most of what I need.
    I finally got the pictures from my Hydro..............it was pretty upsetting to actually see it. I'm a little stressed over all this.
    Mel

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...1169174549.pbw

Frequent UTI's as a child,urethral stenosis by age 9, Urethral dilatations every 2 months. By age 20urethrotomy to remove scar tissue from dilatations.
    Questionable endometriosis nightmare begins. First lap severed an artery. Lost lots of blood resulting in severe abdominal/pelvic adhesions. Needed 7 surgeries to clean up adhesions. Last adhesiolysis- 7/04 in Germany by adhesion expert using Spraygel. Finally adhesion free! Fibromylagia and chronic fatigue(from Parvo Virus infection 1997and Epstein Barr), migraines, IBS,IGG & IGA deficiencies, high IGM.Lots of food and envorionmental allergies.IC/PFD diagnosed after 4 endo surgeries and is now chronic daily pain.Still tryng to fine tune the diet and get on some sort of medication that I don't react too!

ICN Member
    I Have Been Taking B Complex For A While With No Problems.
    But I Can Not Taking The Vit C With Rose Hips In It. It Always Burns Me
    Pretty Bad.

I could not and STILL can't tolerate any "B" complex.
    Minds are like parachutes-they ony function when they are open.
    -Thomas DeWar-

ICN Newbie Volunteer

*ICN Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    I would take the plunge with the magnesium if I were you because I can't tolerate anything but I can tolerate calcium and magnesium!

Laura D in Florida

I always find it amazing what some of us can tolerate and what others cannot.

I had problems with magnesium, zinc, B-6, and vitamin e. All of them irritated me.

Niacin (the flushing kind) actually helps me quite a lot. I take it three times per day (500mg per dose). I was mostly taking it for cholesterol (tryglyceride) issues. But I fould out it helps me with my IC too!!!

It really comes down to trying things and seeing what helps or does not.

ICN Member

Whole Foods Vitamin B Supplement

Through my posts everywhere to try to find a B Vitamin I could take, I learned about a company that does Whole Food versions of Vitamin B Complex. While I was on the site buying the vitamin to try (it's made out of bovine liver, natural yeast, porcine, beet root, carrot root, dried beet root juice, choline, rice brand, defatted wheat germ, bovine adrenal, oat flour, soybean lecithin, mixed tocopherols, ascorbic acid, manganese lactate, inisotol, and riboflavin. B's are really good to heal your adrenals but most ICers can't tolerate. I am hopeful that a whole food alternative will be the way!

Laura D in Florida
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 03-26-2006 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Advertising
    Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

I find calcium, magnesium and potassium very soothing and part of my alkalizing program. Vitamin E comes as a natural product and also a synthetic. Be sure you have the natural product (which will be identified as d and the artificial is dl).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information