Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Had success with natural remedies?

I was so desparate for something to work after taking meds, doing dmso instillations, and many trips to the ER. I turned to natural alternatives. I started seeing an acupuncturist who is treating me for IBS, candida, and IC. I don't know if it's the herbs or the acupuncture, but it has made all the difference. I was coming off of two bad flare-ups and the daily pain would not go away. I was in tears thinking I would have to live everyday with the pain. Within one day of the acupuncture and herbs, I felt 75% better and within 1 week, I was pretty much back to normal. I was definitely a skeptic when it came to natural remedies, but after having little luck with dmso's and elmiron for nearly 5 years, the products I am taking now work. There is no denying it. Has anyone else had any luck with natural remedies?

I have had improvement from some natural remidies. I use a combination of theripies.

If DMSO and Elmiron are the only conventional treatments you have tried your missing out on a lot.

What herbs work for you?
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

I tried natural remedies for 9 months. While they helped a little, they did not really do as much as I would have liked, so I turned to Elmiron to give me a boost over the hump. I hope that after a year or so on Elmiron, I can get off of it and take natural remedies as a maintenence therapy. My uro thinks that is a good plan if it will work for me, though she is skeptical, but so are most doctors about natural things.

I have gone to 4 acupuncturists. 2 did nothing, One was great and put me into a 2 week period of feeling great, however he lives in NJ....And I am in WA! I have just started seeing another one.
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnilson
    I was so desparate for something to work after taking meds, doing dmso instillations, and many trips to the ER. I turned to natural alternatives. I started seeing an acupuncturist who is treating me for IBS, candida, and IC. I don't know if it's the herbs or the acupuncture, but it has made all the difference. I was coming off of two bad flare-ups and the daily pain would not go away. I was in tears thinking I would have to live everyday with the pain. Within one day of the acupuncture and herbs, I felt 75% better and within 1 week, I was pretty much back to normal. I was definitely a skeptic when it came to natural remedies, but after having little luck with dmso's and elmiron for nearly 5 years, the products I am taking now work. There is no denying it. Has anyone else had any luck with natural remedies?
    what are you taking??

Herbs

I take yeast defense, gentiana complex, and a bowel moistener.

ICN Member
    It would be nice if you told us what herbs you were using. I tried natural products first as well. They helped for seven months or so then I had a flare from hell for 7 months. Also tried accupuncture and didn't help a bit. Glad ypu're feeling better, and I wish I could find something that will help me too.

Marsi 4

ICN Member
    What is yeast defense? Is that the name of a product? thanks, liz

what is a bowel moistener?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnilson
    I take yeast defense, gentiana complex, and a bowel moistener.

Quote Originally Posted by liznazz
    What is yeast defense? Is that the name of a product? thanks, liz
    Yes, that is the name of the product. My urologist says there's no such thing as an overgrowth of yeast, but it has worked wonders for me.

Quote Originally Posted by edythe
    what is a bowel moistener?
    The bowel moistener is a chinese herb called Persica (sp?). It helps with my IBS and gets me going everyday! I also eat one bowl of oat bran each day for my IBS.

ICN Member

Good Luck with Natural remedies

Hi all:
    I have a mild case of IC and have been able to do very well with the following: Enablex 7.5 mg daily is my only Rx drug. Natural products are Algonot Cystoprotek 6 daily, Calcium citrate 6 daily, Magnesium 1000 mg daily, MSM 2000 mg daily and a multivitamin. I am very sensitive to yeast infection and am trying a new product from Japan that is supposed to be excellent it is called Threelac.
    I do very well, but like ya all occasionally I have a flare up. Usually it is caused by a mild yeast infection which sets off a urethra flare which starts the urgency, peeing, burning thing.
    Sammie

I have tried accupanture also I the next day I feel awesome. No pain at all. Right now I am taking homeopathic drops and herbal suplements and I see improvement. I know that those things take a while to work but I am willing to try whatever it takes to get rid of the pain. I am taking marshmallow root and kelp and drink a lot of herbal teas. The drops have multiple ingrediends in them and are made in Belgium. I know that a lot of people are sceptical about the natural remedies but I believe in them.

Natural Remedies

I tried rubbing my stomach with Castor oil. Suprise it took away the pain for a while. So far I have used it quite a bit and it helps. Of course it isn't a cure all but it does relieve the pain.
    thanks erma :woohoo:

So many of you are having luck with calcium citrate that I'm eager to try it. My husband is nervous about it because he says that citrate would be acidic. Anyone know why it works if it's acidic? Has anyone had a bad experience with it? I have a really sensitive system -- I'm usually the one who has the "rare" symptoms with any given medication, treatment or herb out there, but I'm still looking for my particular combo that's going to work. Think I should go for the calcium citrate? May try the Evian, and then the Dessert Harvest...Why haven't the three urologists I've seen recommended any of these?

les.

Try cutting your calcium citrate in 1/4 and then increase if it causes you no pain. Started Desert Harvest today. One in the morning and one at night--so far no side effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information