Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Stool!?!

Exclamation Black Stool!?!

For the past 2 days I have been passing stool that is completely pitch black. Could it be from internal bleeding from Elmiron? I am worried. I have no other symptoms.

Could it be from the urodynamics procedure (I had it 2 days ago)
    Or could it be from drinking some blueberry juice? (I never had it before from drinking blueberry juice)

I know you are going to say "call the doctor" but I did already. I called the university hospital I go to yesterday. The nurse said that someone would get back to me and I waited 2 days, and no-one called.... Now it is Friday night and they will not be back in until monday....
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

Hey GO to the ER, if you are worried. You don't have "coffee grounds" looking stool do you? If so go to the hosptial, I know, due to my ulcerative colitis that coffe gound looking stool is a serious warning sign. Make sure to ask for and insist on an occult blood test, it is simple, just a little embarassing as they have to do a rectal swab but It will tell you if it blood or not. I am sure it is fine, but for me have it checked OK?Let me know how it goes.
    Sonja
    Proverbs 17:17 A true companion is loving all the time and is a brother/sister that is born for when there is distress
    Support American Cancer Society Relay for Life
    http://Relayforlife.org
    Living life on hope and a prayer.
    To read me and my family's story
    http://ic-network.com/patientstories/sonja.html
    Spinal surgery 04/06
    Interstim implanted12/04
    interstim removal 12/05
    Hysterectomy 1998
    Bladder surgeries due to hysterectomy,'98,99,00,01
    DXx with IC w/ Hunners 1999
    Chronic Pelvic pain
    Chronic fatigue
    Fibromyalgia
    Depression/post traumatic stress syndrome
    IBS
    Migraines(OOPPSS WRONG) DX on August 28 with focal seziures, NOw on Zonegram for seizures

Treatments...Done 'em all, but still looking out for the one that is my magic bullet.
    Weekly or as needed instills w/ elmiron/lidocaine/bicarb

Meds:various pain meds,Soma (muscle relaxant)
    Lunesta,Premarin,Clonazepam,Inderall,Relpax,Cymbalta
    and a few others I'm sure,depending on how good I have been on my IC diet.

Trying to keep a positive attitude, in a negative world.

Best treatment of all, Good Friends who Understand

I agree you need to find out exactly what is going on in this situation.
    Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at joleneb2@yahoo.com

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

I agree with the other gals.. please go and get checked out.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Massagedoula - Wasn't an anal catheter part of your urodynamics testing? Seems like it would be more related to that since you didn't have black stools before that. I can't believe they haven't called you back after you told them that symptom! I'd go to the ER if you still have it.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

I think you should at least telephone the emergency department of your local hospital. I'm sure you know that a black stool can be a sign of bleeding. It could be the blueberry, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I agree with everyone else go to the er.

Yep, black stool can be a sign of bleeding inside -- go to the ER to make sure.

PS-- have you taken any Pepto-Bismol lately? The bismuth in that stuff can turn poop black in some people.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I really don't want to go to the ER for 3 reasons,
    1.) It is really expensive and I cannot afford it.
    2.) My mother is visiting for the weekend all the way from NJ, and she is only here for 1.5 more days.
    3.) I don't have any other symptoms! I am not nauseous, no vomiting, no GI pain.

From what I read on the internet, black stools if they are from blood are from upper GI bleeding, so the body digests the blood and therefore turns the stools black. So, even though it started after I got the urodynamics test, I think that it maybe would not be from the anal catheter, because that is the lower GI, and the blood would be red? Am I right here?

So that leaves 2 possible causes.
    1.) The 2 bottles of blueberry juice I drank after my urodynamics to prevent infection. However, that was right afterwards, and the next day, so I have not drank any blueberry juice in 24 hours. My stool this morning was still black. Not jet black like before, but very very dark. Now, the question is: How long does it take for blueberry juice is get digested fully? If I have not drank any in 24 hours, and I pass one stool a day, is it still going to come out in this morning's stool? That is is 1,000,000 question. If anyone knows, please tell me.

2.) It could be (all of a sudden) upper GI bleeding from taking Elmiron. However, I have been taking it for almost a month now and had absolutely no symptoms of this ever before it abruptly started 2 days ago (after the urodynamics/blueberry juice). If it was from an upper GI bleed, wouldn't I have other symptoms too?

So, I am trying to keep a level head about this, but I will keep checking back on this thread today and see what people say.
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

I was going to say, I'd wait a couple of days (not drinking blueberry juice anymore) to see if the stools wouldn't turn back to normal. I've had things I've eaten turn my stools odd colors before. And oftentimes it takes a couple of days (or three) before things get back to normal.

You are correct, any irritation to the rectum or lower bowel would show up as fresh red blood (like hemorrhoids are usually bright red blood.)

Anyway, not meaning to give advice, just saying if it were me I'd wait a couple of days.

Blessings, Lori
    Edited to add P.S. Blue is actually the color you can add to, say, chocolate frosting, to make it appear very black. That's why when you mentioned the blueberry juice, I had a sneaking suspicion that's what it was.

Update:
    I am now going to go to Rite Aid. I called around and found that they sell a over the counter test for "occult blood in stools" called colon care. I don't know how it works but I will test the stool myself.

I also called the university hospital and got the doctor on call paged. He was very nice but did not know much about Elmiron. I guess he was just a general resident and not a urology one. So that did not help much.

I think that things like this are up to us as the people they are affecting, and we cannot rely on doctors. Of course, if it does show blood, I will have to rely on a doctor to help me figure out if Elmiron is causing it.....

My experience:
    (9/29/05-7/06)

Also doing:
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

Oh, Lori, you posted at the same time as me just now. Thanks for your feedback that it can take a few days to get out of the system. I will hope that it was the blueberry juice! I will just go out and get this test now, just to make sure.

What a scare it will have been if it turns out to have been the juice!

My experience:
    (9/29/05-7/06)

Also doing:
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

I think it won't do any harm to do the testing kit...except...is that the kit where you take a stool sample and then mail it in to some lab? Was thinking that would take awhile to get the results...

Honestly I'm fully expecting that in about two days you'll post and say things were back to normal, that it had to have been the juice. To know for sure, you would probably want to drink the juice one more time after things get back to normal, and see if things turn black again.

Blessings, Lori

ICN Member
    When I eat blueberries, my stool is not black, but gets much darker. It takes a day or two for this to happen. My guess is its the juice.

Massagedoula,
    I started drinking blueberry juice and YEP my stool was black too. scared me a bunch till i figured it out. Hope that is all it was for you.
    hugs,
    Janie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information