Latest Blog Article: Europeans Release Updated Chronic Pelvic Pain Guidelines
    ICN Member

Magnesium Treatment? Have You Tried It??

Have any of you out there who are suffering from IC tried either magnesium shots or magnesium supplements? I have been seeing a doctor who has put me on this treatment, and I do not know what the long-term benefits may or may not be, and I can't seem to find any documentation on this treatment as to how effective it is. So far, it does not seem to be making much difference, and I have been on it for a month. The first two shots helped a lot more than the last two. Can anyone share their experiences with me, or tell where I can read more about this treatment?

Here is a link to a google search of the ICN using the term "magnesium". It brought up several old threads on the topic.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

ďWe who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.Ē ~ Viktor Frankl

ďYou cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.Ē ~ Brian Tracy

I've been going to the naturist (doctor that treats the patien with the natural medicine.) here in Spain because of my skin problem. I don't know how to call them in English.. And when my urethra pain started to insist I went to him to ask for help. Since last June, I've been taking calcium before and magnesium after meals. I first thought he gave me this for my elbow pain, but after reading some kind of document, I found out that the calcium and magnesium help to neutrize the acid. Apart from that, he gave me fish oil pill, uva-ursi , natural extract of goldrod, and pills of ortiga verde (I donít know how to say it in English.). Iím taking them all everyday as food supplements. I never commented here in this site, though.
    Violin :

IC (mild): Diagnosed in Oct 2005 by cysto/hydro/biopsy (It seems that Hydro's been helping me.)
    Sarcoidosis: 1st symptom in Aug 1993
    Atopic Dermatitis: Since 1980
    Allergy: to house dust, pollen, chrome, cobalt, resin, geraniol, etcÖ

IC meds:
    Buscapine (N-butilbromuro hioscine) 10mg 3/a day (in case of pain.)
    Atarax 25mg at night (It was for Dermatitis, but it is working well with my IC also.)
    Cystistat(Hyaluronic Acid):I received a course of 4 instills in Nov and Dec. 2005. They helped me to be in R..........., because I haven't had any flares since then, except 1 UTI.

Naturopath's treatment:
    Natural Extract of Goldenrod & Uva-Ursi, Calcium & Magnesium, Fish Oil (Vitamins A&D), Brewerís Yeast (Vitamin B group), Valerian Pills (anti-anxiety), Green nettle in pills, Propolis (defence builder),

And I'm strictly on IC Diet. (Helped me a lot.)

ICN Member

So you are working with a naturpath in Spain?

How long have you been seeing the naturpath? Have you found the treatment releives your suffering? I am trying to decide weather to keep working with my natural doctor. Her cost are so high. I honestly do not know how much this type of supplimenting helps. Do you like who you are working with? Does it seem like they are honest with you? I have a mediction that I am required to take and it may be influencing any good I get from the natural products. I would love to hear more about what is going on with your search. Thank you for your reply. It seems not many people have the patients to try natural suppliments. I am starting to question weather I have the mental stamina to cope with the pain that does not leave. Any further information would brighten my path.

Naturopath

Hi, Susan,

I've started with my natural doctor since about 3 years ago. I went there with a friend of mine with serious cancer problems with metastasises. She believes in him and the doctor has helped her a lot through 4 surgeries in four years: in her colon, kidney, uterus, and two langs. Of course, sheís had to take various sessions of chemotherapy after her surgeries for long period of time. She hasn't gotten rid of any importance of the oncologistsí treatments. But what the naturopath has been done to her was to put her in a good self defence basically with his natural treatment. She went through 4 important surgeries with very good recoveries and tolerated all types of chemotherapies so far. So I was curious if her doc could help me with my problemÖ

Since I was a 12 years old girl, Iíve had Atopic Dermatitis, and since I became an adult, it got worse. Iíd gone to 4 dermatologists in Japan, 1 in the States, and also 5 in SpainÖ(where I lived in each momentsÖ) They always treated me with corticoid creams, and antihistamines pills. I had to take shower a middle of the night, because I started to feel itchy and I couldnít sleep. I had my fingers with many small dry cuts and I wasnít able to touch a thing because of the pain. I had a stain in my forehead from the scrunching the inflamed red spots and scabs. As you see, I had a serious skin problem. (Iím allergic to many things too.)

So, I asked my friend with cancer to take me with her. He prohibited me things like canned food, preservatives, fried food, oranges, and milk, and he gave me many natural medicines and medicinal herbs. For example, soy powders, Brewerís yeast, codfish oil, extract of dandelion, etc, etcÖ They were all depurative stuff for my skin problems. Since Iíve started his treatments, I seldom have attacks of dermatitis. My stain were almost gone, my fingers donít have any more dried cuts. Heís so expensive, and so his treatments. So I didnít go back to his consultant very often, neither I was taking all the medication he prescribed me. But still Iím a different person now. At least, nobody notices any more that I have the skin problems. :woohoo:

Since I started to have UTI pretty often, I talked to him about my urethra pain in one of my visit last year. He changed some of my natural meds. But I wasnít following his treatment very strictly. I got worse with my IC, (I didnít know I had it yet.) and went back to him excursively asking some help for that. He changed almost all the treatment and I started to take everything he prescribed correctly. I continued to have my urethra pain and frequency and urgency when I had flare. (I still didnít know what it was.) Really, I started to feel better 3 weeks ago when I had my cysto and biopsy done and I started to be on IC diet strictly.

My conclusion so farÖ My sensation of getting better day by day with the naturopathís treatment with dermatitis was so clear. But his treatment with IC doesnít seem so effective as did with my former problem. I donít think itíll cure my IC. But it seems like helping me to tolerate food and also I think itís giving some help to bladder and urethra not to inflame, because medicinal herbs do have natural healing power. What I donít like about him or any other natural doctors is that they deny the conventional medicine. My urologist has seen my bladder inside with cysto. And my natural doctor only touches my bladder and says itís inflamed. I believe in my urologist more than naturopath in this sense. My urologist says that I can eat anything; the food has nothing to do with IC. And naturopath says that the diet takes very important parts to cure any illness. I believe in the latterís opinion.

Well, itís a long thread, isnít it? The longer it gets, the worse I write. I donít control my English mistakes any more!! HELP! If you donít understand what Iím trying to say, tell me. Iíll try to explain them.

Iíll go back to my naturopath on the 21st of this month. Iíll tell you what he says on my new diagnosed IC disease and what he gives me to takeÖ Iíll also ask for some iron stuff since Iíve got the iron low in my analysis lately, (it was found out by the internist before doing my CystoÖ) Actually, I donít want any more problems to find out nor any more pills to takeÖ
    Violin :

IC (mild): Diagnosed in Oct 2005 by cysto/hydro/biopsy (It seems that Hydro's been helping me.)

IC meds:
    Atarax 25mg at night (It was for Dermatitis, but it is working well with my IC also.)
    Cystistat(Hyaluronic Acid):I received a course of 4 instills in Nov and Dec. 2005. They helped me to be in R..........., because I haven't had any flares since then, except 1 UTI.

Naturopath's treatment:
    Natural Extract of Goldenrod & Uva-Ursi, Calcium & Magnesium, Fish Oil (Vitamins A&D), Brewerís Yeast (Vitamin B group), Valerian Pills (anti-anxiety), Green nettle in pills, Propolis (defence builder),

ICN Member
    Violin,
    I guess your apointment is tomorrow. Do you take any medications for your suffering? I have suffered so much over the last two months while trying to believe that magnesium might help. I was put on a nutritional program by a nuturepath. I have sincerely wanted it to help. The first two mag shots seemed to help some on the day they were given. My problems seem to not have changed that much on the program. I would be interested to hear what has helped you. I have found that I do not respond to herbs very well. I think it increases the spasms. I am on medication I can not stop taking and I think that might be why herbs and I do not mix. Today for the first time I took the medication given to me almost three months ago. I have become desprate and felt nutriton might take too long or never work. The name of the medication is Hyoscyamine Sulfate. I took it almost a half hour ago. I seem to be feeling better. The long rang side effects have scared me about this drug. I have read it causes constipation. My throat feels really weriod since I took it. There is a warning about blurred vision on the bottle. I am expection to feel very tired and maybe even sleep over the next two days. Then I hope to function on a more normal level there after. Do not worry too much about your English. I can understand you well enough. I do belive that food greatly effects the way a person feels. I have read several strickt diets and there probably is some truth in them to help IC. But everyone has to eat something. I bet where you live care for IC is a little different than here. I get exteemly hungry and eat a lot. I have been concerned that vegtables fruit and whole foods would not work very well with the medication the gastoligist gave me three months ago. I had also been concerened about if my mouth would be constantly dry and I would have to have lots of denal work. It sounds like you have had your bladder looked at inside. I think you said you had a cysto. Did you get to see the pictures the doctor took? My doctor did not mention doing one. Do you feel like it has really helped your doctor in your treatment? Any ideas or your experiences might help me. It is alway good to hear from you. From the research I have done it seems IC as a condition has only been recognized for two or three years. I have had very little understanding or kindness shown to those I have tried to explain my suffering to. Of course something like this is very hard to explain. People seem to think I should just go back to work. Do you work? I was let go a couple of months ago. If you work how do you cope at work and what kind of work do you do? I am looking in to support groups but it is hard to find one because this condition is socially unacceptable and it has not been recognized for very long. Thank you for your support. I have been pleased to find someone who believes that food really affects ones health. Keep in touch.
    Sincerely
    Susan

Hi, Susan!

How are you, lately? Iím pretty good with my IC. Iím not eating absolutely anything from the problematic food lists of IC diet. Also Iím taking all these herbs and natural things as my naturopath sent me two weeks ago. Another important thing for me is that I canít get coldÖ If I feel cold, Iíll get pain in my urethra. I have to put myself a warm pad or blanket on.

Iím the person who doesnít enjoy eating so much. I mean I eat to live, but I donít eat a lot neither Iím not anxious at all for the good meal. Iíve never been since I was a baby. (My mother always complained that I was a very bad eaterÖ) So, if I canít eat certain food, it doesnít bother me. I usually donít feel so hungry either.
    I eat a little but Iím eating many times a day, not only 3 or 4 times as people usually do Ö

I work part time. I teach children. I love kids and I forget my mild pain while Iím in class. This winter I couldnít work for 2 weeks because of the severe flare ups and a big UTI.

Here is my treatment from naturopath since June, 2005:

Natural Extract of Goldenrod (Solidago virga-aurea L.)
    Natural Extract of Uva-Ursi
    Calcium complex & Magnesium Complex (Syrups)
    Drop of Fish Oil (Vitamins A &E)
    Brewerís Yeast (Vitamin B group Ė I need them for my Atopic Dermatitis, and the donít bother my bladerÖ)
    Valerian Pills (Valerian root/Crataegus fruit/Passiflora flower) (anti-anxiety)
    Green nettle in pills (Good for many thigsÖ)
    Propolis (defence builder)
    Aloe Vera in pills (anti-inflammatory)
    (I take some products 3 times a day, before or after the meals, and some once a day.)

Take care!
    Violin :

IC meds:

Naturopath's treatment:

I haven't tried this myself but I was reading where someone said her MIL has IC and takes magnesium and Vitamin b-6 supplements, and watches her diet - no actual IC meds, and has done this for several years with good results.

IC Symptoms since 04/05
    Finished NIDDK Amitriptyline Study 11/05

Current Meds:
    Elmiron 400mg (since 12/13/05)

Susan- You have said a few things regarding IC that I wanted to clarify. IC has been recognized for much longer than 3-4 years. I have had it for over ten years. I think a lot of strides have been made in talking about it and being more open regarding it. If your urologist says diet has nothing to do with IC then it is time for a new urologist as EVERYONE knows that diet can help IC to a certain extent, (at least help avoid certain flares). I know this because before I knew what I had I was drinking a lot of orange and apple juice...ouch!! Also, there are a lot of support groups and might even be one in your area? If you go to the Interstitial Cystitis Association or this site in fact they will list support groups in your area. In additon, I have taken hyoscamine for a long time and it is not a problem at all. If you are concerned about dry mouth there is a great toothpaste I can't say enough about. It creates a natural enzyme in your saliva. It is called "Biotene". I used to have a lot of dental problems, but I have had none since using this toothpaste.

Thread Information