Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014
    ICN Member

Elmiron generic?

Somewhere, someone had asked about why there is no cheaper, generic Elmiron. Here's your answer...drug patents are good for 20 years from the date of application, so since Elmiron came out in 1996, the patent was probably circa 1993. That means generics come out sometime around 2013. (Source: senior fellow, research and development, Johnson & Johnson. AKA Daddy)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. He did also say that the profits for drug companies aren't what they seem. The 20 years allows them to recoup the costs of development before being undermined by generics, but it can cost billions to develop a single drug.

Thanks TabbiH! I think I was one of the ones asking about this. 2013??? Here's hoping we have a cure, or close to it, long before then!

That's one of the reasons it can be cheaper to get medications from outside the US. Generics are available much sooner than here.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    I read about the 20 year patent too.

I've read that many drug companies apply for patents at the very start of trials, before, the final trials . So it could be like even 10 years expired on the patent before the drug even comes out.

Just depends on exactly when the applied and how long the trials were for.
    So it came out in 1996. Of course they don't advertise when the applied. And companies have to do some major research to find out, and not just other drug companies, many investments companies want to know when to purchase or trade stocks.

Anyway here's hoping they applied EARLY and it's even less than 2013 !!! I'd say that's a pretty good estimate , but it might be even less!!!

ICN Member
    ok, I already posted on this , but I was doing some more reading on this subject. And this one article stated that MOST drug patents expires 7-12 years after they are actually on the market.

Most patents are applied for before the trials begin, so many years of the 20 year max patent are already expired before the drug comes out. As stated in the above post.

If we go by the 7-12 average after they are on the market. Then WOW- Elmiron has already had 10 years! Maybe just a couple more years, or maybe in a few months or so.
    Last edited by pj77; 10-27-2005 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks for posting, that makes sense. "New" drugs never have a generic right away.

IC Symptoms since 04/05
    Finished NIDDK Amitriptyline Study 11/05

Current Meds:
    Elmiron 400mg (since 12/13/05)

Orphan drugs get a longer time period than other drugs to be able to not have a generic equivalent. So it will likely be quite awhile for Elmiron.
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

I just did some research and found the Elmiron patent was obtained on October 31, 1989....that means we should have just over a year left!

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
    ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
    back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

No longer active

Link to 1989 Elmiron patent

Claudia,

If possible, can you please post the link where you found out about the Elmiron patent application in 1989? It would be so helpful for people to be able to get a generic. Elmiron is so expensive, even in Canada.

Thanks,
    Janet

I just did a search on "elmiron patent" and found the information.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Sure, here is the link that I used:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/48...scription.html

Hope this helps!! I am lucky to have insurance, and it is still very expensive. We will all be lucky next year when a generic (hopefully) comes out!

Claudia

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
    ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
    back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

ICN Member
    So is there any more talk about a generic? I am lucky enough to have insurance now, but the thought of losing my insurance now still freaks me out. Looks like the estimated patent expiration date is November 1, 2008. But no talk yet?
    IC
    Symptoms Began 4/03
    Diagnosed 9/03
    Started Elmiron 9/03 - 100mg X3 a day (as of 7/14 taking 2 in the morning and 1 at night)

VVS
    Diagnosed 6/07
    Hydroxyzine 25mg/day
    Estrace Cream X2 a day

ICN Member

Angry elmiron patent

I have had to give up Elmiron because of the cost. Recently the cost went from $289 to $321 a month for me. Absolutely unaffordable, and I have insurance with a $500 cap for precription coverage per year and with the low, low monthly premiium price of $787! Suffering with a flare right now and not happy about it. My only relief with be tylenol with codeine.

I'm just guessing, but companies who make generics want a large customer base to make it worthwhile. I doubt that Elmiron has that many users in comparison to a blood pressure medication, or some other common disease. Every time I tried to fill my prescription at the local pharmacy, I had to wait days for them to get the drug in. They refused to keep a supply on hand for my orders, and no one else bought it there. I now get it mail order.
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal chord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

generic

I went to my uro in Tijuana mexico and he said you are luck they started making this drug? we are not even close here? my parents asked how much would it be to make it he said ohhhhhh around 10.00 but you need a chemist and we need to find out what in it? the fillers they use and that we cant get our hands on and by the way a chemist will cost around 10,000 I added all the money I have spent since 1996 I have allready paid that and more?
    Blessings,
    Ruth

Thread Information