Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #13 - The IC and IBS Connection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CAN'T find Pear juice without either citric or ascorbic acid!!

HI All,

I've been on the IC wash-out diet for 7 days now & have followed it relgiously (still flaring though...grrr). I want to start adding a a very few of the 'OK to try' items & see if it makes the flare worse and I've looked & looked but all the Pear juice I find has either Citric Acid OR Ascorbic acid (or both)...

Does the Pear Juice on the OK food, does it have to fee Citric & Ascorbic Acid free?? (Also, I looked up Pear Juice on Gerber's site but they don't list the ingredients).

I also have 2 other quick questions:

What kind of Vanilla ice-cream is ok? Please please please say Dairy-Queen or Breyer's!!

Finally,

Why is Frozen yougurt OK but not regular yogurt? (which kinds are OK?)

Thanks so much!
    Shelley

I eat the bryers all natural vanilla. Sorry I can't answer your question about the pear juice, I haven't been able to find one either.
    It's always time for a potty break

ICN Member
    I eat Breyers French Vanilla with no problem.

for pear juice I found Looza pear nectar, its 50% juice, ingredients on the side are pear puree, water and sugar, thats it.

Yummy!

Thanks everyone,

I'm *quite* happy (to say the least!) to hear about the vanilla ice-cream! :woohoo:

I just wanted to mention (for any other's who might post) that I live in Montreal, so not all US brands are available here.

Thanks!
    Shelley

ps - Windwalker, where do you buy your Looza pear juice??

I got it at our local grocery store, but have seen it in one health food store, maybe do a search on it on a search engine? Worth a shot

I also use Looza pear juice or buy a can of pears in pear juice & reserve the juice.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

No longer active
    I do fine with Gerber pear juice also, the Beechnut baby juice tastes better and does just fine also.

Is it food that is causing the flare?

Is there anything else that could be aggravating your bladder? I just ask because if you aren't doing any better maybe it is something else: tight clothes, stress (of course a flare IS the definition of stress), medications, spring allergies, not enough sleep, PMS......any of that............

Just hoping you can feel better..............Hugssssssssss, Julie B
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

I love breyer's french vanilla ice cream. I dont know about pear juice, I use rw knudsens 100% blueberry juice when I want juice. I never found pear juice w/o citric acid or too much sugar....also gross for my bladder.
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

Regular yogurt is acidic, but frozen yogurt is not necessary the same as regular yogurt. It's not made quit the same way, and is not as acidic, or in many cases not even as healthy as regular yogurt. It's usually considered lower in fat than regular ice cream, but sometimes even that isn't the case.

I've never have a problem with frozen yogurt, but I have to be careful with regular yogurt, I can't eat it all the time, or it will start to bother me. I usually eat the organic yogurts only when my bladder is feeling good. Others say they can eat yogurt all the time. They are lucky because yogurt's ph can be in the 4's.

Hi All,

I'm happy to report that after many trips (by my husband) to local grocery stores we FINALLY found some citric & ascorbic acid free pear juice! :woohoo: Btw, he told me he also saw the Looza brand (just not in pear).

As for your questions Julie, I just WISH I could figure out what could be aggravating my bladder but I can't think of anything at all...I'm following the diet, am going for weekly hep/lidocaine/s.bicarb treatments, increased my atarax from 10 mg at night to 20mgs at night, 10mgs during the day, and take 1 mg of Klonopin daily, and I also restarted the Elmiron!!

I'm sleeping as much as possible (about 7 hours or so, getting up only once or twice), I'm living in loose clothes, so I dunno...maybe, just maybe it's allergies but the strange thing is my nose isn't itchy, eyes aren't runny. Maybe something else in the air b/c the humidity here in Montreal is just awful (though, come to think of it this flare started around the end of November when there was still snow on the ground).

Nope, I'm stumped!!!

Thanks for all your replies!
    Shelley

I never have watery eyes or stuffy nose, but my allergist discovered during a blood test (for a possible fish allergy) that I'm HIGHLY reactive to pollens. I said, Huh? I never even sneeze! But I think allergies can show up by the mast cells in the bladder going crazy. This spring as soon as the flowers started looking gorgeous and fertile, my bladder had a temper tantrum...

Shelley whats the pear juice you found?

Hi,

the Pear juices I found are:

--"Rostoy" pear nectar which contains: pear purée , water, sugar glucose syrup, and

--"Ceres" (comen in a small box/carton) which says "100% fruit juice blend" No sugar or preservatives added" <-- Regarding this last one (I didn't notice at first) it says in small print "Pear and other fruit"...the friggin box has PEAR written in big bold letters and only shows a picture of a PEAR!

Diane, it might well be allergies since I can't figure out anything else...I didn't know you could do blood tests for specific allergies though?? I thought you had to do the old pin-prick method, what kind of test did you have? thanks for the tip!

Hope all's well!
    Shelley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information