Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oxybutynin

oxybutynin

Hi

Went to see my uro and he has prescribed me oxybutynin was just wondering if anyone has had any success in using this? heard it had some pretty horrible side affects so any advice is welcome.

Thankyou x x

its Ditropan, many here take it. Other than dry mouth and some constipation, its usually well tolerated. It cuts down on the bladder spasms.
    HTH,
    Tina
    All Info About Interstitial Cystitis: http://cystitis.allinfoabout.com
    ___
    Contributing Editor of AIA:IC

Author: All info about Interstitial Cystitis
    A Georgia Native Plant Guide, ISBN 0-86554-878-1
    Georgia's Covered Bridges, coming fall 2006

ICN Member
    I did not have any side effects when using Ditropan. Hope it helps you.

Ginny

If you do find youself suffering the unwanted side effects, you can ask your Dr to prescribe you the Oxytrol Patch. It's time released (change patches every 3-4 days) and seems to be more tolerated (less noticeble dry mouth, constipation).
    Stay well
    diana

I took both, but I had so much of the side effects that I quit.

tried both, neither gave me problems.

Did they work

Quote Originally Posted by windwalker
    tried both, neither gave me problems.
    Hi, I am just looking for help with contstantly having to go/urgencies, did these work and how long before you seen a difference?

I noticed w/meds they start working w/me real quick or not at all. For me I'd say the patch, w/in a week, the pill, I cant remember how long it took to start working, I stopped the patch because it wouldnt stick to my backside only to my sides and stomach, and I ended up w/a rash from having to keep it on my sides mainly.

IC Friend
    while I used it, it helped alot with the frequency. I was told it can only be used for up to six months because retention problems could start.ask your doctor.

IC Friend
    Hi Leanne. I cant use ditropan, detrol, sanctura. they all put me into retention. the only one i have not tried and actually have it at hom to try is oxytrol, the patch. im afraid it will have the same effects. you never no though until you try. bummer. hope it works for you.
    susan

At first, I had some dry mouth associated with Ditropan, Detrol, and the Oxytrol patch... also, the patch gave me a horrible rash because it turned out I was allergic to the adhesive in it. After a while though, I also experienced urine retention with these types of meds, which was lousy -- always having to go, but nothing ever came out, ugh!! So now I do not take any of them. However, lots of members on the boards have had good results with them and say they lessen the urgency and frequency quite a bit. I hope it helps you!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    I also had horrible dry mouth with oxybutynin. I also had retention too. I still got the frequency and I'd wake up in the middle of the night to urinate 6-8 times as usual but I'd just sit on the toilet unable to urinate. So didn't work for me (neither did the Detrol).

Hopefully someone on here has a success story with oxybutynin -- Certainly not me

Erica

I had good luck with the Oxytrol patch, but like some others, I did have problems with a rash after a while. I could only put in about 4 places and they just developed a rash-like irritation. So, I stopped using it (also it was expensive). I have not tried the other oxybutynin products like Ditropan. I decided to try Vistaril which is an antihistamine and it seems to be working well for me. Not as well so far as Oxytrol, but it helps a lot.

Sometimes its just a matter of trying some things and seeing what works best.

BTW: The only side effect I had with the Oxytrol beside the rash-like issues was dry mouth which went away after a few days.

I have tried taking Ditropan 4 times now and each time I get awful side effects straight away.

I have now stopped taking Ditropan as it was making me feel like I had a flu and I felt all out of my body and ached all over.

It also gave me bad retention and I was unable to empty my bladder fully without pushing it out. I also had blurred vision and headaches, dry mouth & was not able to get to sleep at night. It made me feel all dried out if that makes sense?
    I am annoyed that this did not help me so my hunt continues for another drug with less side effects!

Good luck if you try it!

I could not tolerate Ditropan XL - gave me really awful dry mouth, dry skin, lack of mental focus.

So, I now take only 5mg of regular Ditropan at night & that works fine for me (reduces spasms). If I'm flaring, I'll also take one during the day, no problem.

It does increase constipation (so does Elavil, one of the other meds I'm on), so I do have to take Colace with 2 meals a day.

Hope you find some relief soon!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information