Latest Blog Article: Europeans Release Updated Chronic Pelvic Pain Guidelines

Question does amoxicillin cause flares?

My doc found some bacteria in my urethral swab (is that normal? Is the urethra supposed to be sterile like the bladder or not?) and prescribed amoxicillin for it. I was actually feeling good yesterday, took the first amoxi, and then woke up flaring. Do some antibiotics cause flares for other folks? Or is it some sort of sign that it's killing something?

Thanks in advance
    Jen
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi, Jen. Some of us do flare on some antibiotics. It's kind of different for everyone. For instance, I don't flare on Amoxicillin, but Doxycycline kills me. But for you, maybe Doxycycline would be just fine but Amoxicillin hurts your bladder.

But it's not at all uncommon for IC'ers to report feeling bladder pain and increased symptoms when taking antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon.

Blessings, Lori

Well Lori is right...it isn't the same for everyone. It might be a good idea to see you can switch to an antibiotic that you have had before that can still help. I would also suspect that it is quite possible that your flare is from the infection in your urethra....or that the infection has spread. As far as I know your urethra should be like your bladder in this case. I would say that us ICers are often highly sensitive things including meds....I would put this on a list of things that have possibly caused you a flare. Sure hope you feel better soon. Do tell your doctor about this!!!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

Before I was diagnosed with IC, when I used to be in pain and didn't know why, I took a prescription of Amoxicillin for another reason. During the time I was taking it, I was pain-free and didn't put two and two together until much later. I never took it again for IC though. I took macrodantin for a while instead.
    Marilyn

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas Edison

ICN Member
    Currently am very miserable after taking amoxicillin for yeast infection.

Horrid Horrid Horrid!

Abdominal and back pain at a miserable high. (not urethal pain..I rarely have urethal pain)

I hate and despise amoxicillin.

Exclamation

Hi Sister,
    Amoxicillin wouldn't treat a yeast infection. Antibiotics only kill bacteria! Amoxicillin could CAUSE a yeast infection because it kills off the healthy bacteria in the area and leaves more room for yeast. Get some Diflucan!

-Jen
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thread Information