Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #29 - Smoking and IC

stabbing pain at end of urination

I take 3 pills of Pyridium Plus/day and 1 pill of Pameral (sp?) per day and I still get these horrible pains when I'm done urinating. The start is a little painful and during is fine but once I get to the end, it feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife and twisting hard. It takes my breath away. What is this? Does anyone know? Is it a symptom of IC?(I'm sure it is) I'm assuming it to be a muscle contraction or spasm?
    Also, the outside area where it comes out, itches afterwards. Weird.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Meg
    Last edited by Megraven; 05-09-2005 at 08:26 AM.
    ~Pain is Inevitable, Misery is Chosen~

ICN Member
    Before I went on Elmiron, atarax and celebrex, I used to get something similar. Mine wasn't pain, it felt more like I didn't feel as if I had emptied out what was left in the urethra. Then I would get a feeling of having to go again, with a mild pain that seemed to " washback" into the bladder for about 5-10 minutes. Happenned every time I urinated. Eventually with the meds it has pretty much disappeared unless I am in a flare. It is possible that it is a symptom of IC, as I never had much bladder pain but urethral pain and discomfort. liz

ICN Member
    Sounds like a bladder infection.

Ginny

I agree with Ginny, although maybe it is your IC, but have you been checked for a bladder infection? If not try to stop by your docs and see if this what is going one. I hope you feel better soon....
    God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
    www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
    Interstim Sept 2001
    1st InterStim Removal May 2005
    2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
    2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
    Hysterectomy 1999
    Tubes Tied 1997
    C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

First I would get checked for a UTI.

I used to have the same problem though and it wasn't a UTI. It was my bladder/urethra spasming at the end of urinating. I started taking Detrol and don't seem to have that problem anymore. Unless of course I forget to take it.

Amy

It does sound like it could be an infection --- I think it would be a good idea to be checked.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I had that pain when I first started seeking diagnosis a few years ago and it was not an infection...just IC. I have not had an infection since I was diagnosed. But you still would want to make sure.
    Marilyn

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas Edison

Thanks, everyone for your responses. Apparently, I had an infection (Ecoli) and it was no detected on the first culture. I have taken all of the meds for it and I'm still getting that burning/stabbing pain but not as bad. I go in for a CT of my kidneys and bladder in a week from today and directly afterwards, a cystoscopy. (yuck)

Hopefully, everything will work out. Thanks again, everyone!
    Meg
    ~Pain is Inevitable, Misery is Chosen~

ICN Member
    Wenatchee, Washington (Pacific Northwest)
    Meg-- I get that strange pain every time I pee. I always have severe pain but during and right after urination I could just die! I'm not sure if it's caused from a spasm, it kind of feels like that.

I don't know what could help with this symptom. I've tried several different things and nothing has worked for me. I would love to hear of some magic trick to releive it!

Hope you get to feeling better
    Wendy

For me I always get a stabbing sharp pain after I urinate...after I have had sex...I have come to know this as PFD flare up. Not exactly a spasm but similar especially in treatment so here is my advise if you have PFD or spasms lol:
    practice relaxing the pelvic musscles. When you go to the bathroom and go...wait and relax and message your urethra with a tishue or something.
    Use a topical analgesic, alternate heat and cold,
    o Marshmallow root (althaea officinalis) helps sooth irritation and inflammation, can help spasms
    Catnip (nepeta cataria) eases menstrual pain, soothes the nerves, and as a sleep aid.
    Lavender Oil (the sent is a great for relaxing but to rub on bladder can also have a calming effect. Good for spasms)

• Moisture (Moisture helps relax your pelvis is calming to your bladder)
    Warm Baths (NOT HOT!!!!) No bubble bath or strong soaps, please! Soft soaps, perfumed soaps, bath salts & bubble baths can be very irritating to an IC patient. However, you can put baking soda in the tub for extra comfort. SITZ Baths Definition: A sitz bath (also called a hip bath) is a type of bath in which only the hips and buttocks are soaked in water or saline solution. Its name comes from the German verb "sitzen," meaning "to sit." I recommend: (a tub divided into two …one half is filled with hot water and the other cold. With part of the body on one side and than switching and back again in quick succession) Recommended 3 times a day
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

Thread Information