milk of magnesia to go??? poop--sorry:)

I am sooooooo constipated and the only thing that seems to help me is milk of magnesia. fiber based laxitives bloat me horribly and make me very gassy(sorry) 12 teaspoons of milk of magnesia at night makes me go in the morning great and I feel empty where as with the other laxitives(senekot and fiber ones) do not. I also like the fact that Milk of Magnesia is not a stimulant,,,My question is that I do not know how to space my pain meds or antidepressent with it because I know that the laxitive will absorb the meds and I have to take them both at night Can anyone help me please? and does anyone use milk of magnesia with success??/

I think this is a good question for your doctor. If you're taking MOM every night, there may be some better options for you. It works very well for me, but I only take it occasionally.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Demi,

MOM is what I use also - 2 to 3 tablespoons each night. I know I should avoid it when other meds are taken, but mostly I just try to avoid my elmiron for an hour or so when I take the MOM. Yes, it would be best not to habitually use laxatives, but like you said, it isn't a stimulant so no worries about developing a lazy bowel. I had used zelnorm, but it caused me some serious abdominal pain, along with a bad flare. I can't imagine Milk of Magnesia causing any worse problems than that.

Prunes

I find that if I eat a few prunes each morning this really helps the constipation.

You know, I've heard alot of things like that are helpful - prunes, prune juice, coffee, bran cereal, etc. If you are truely constipated it simply doesn't cut it. I am on two prescription medications whose common side effect is constipation. I simply have to have some extra help, along with the prunes, bran, etc. I probably get up to 40 grams of fiber a day but it does not help unless I take the milk of magnesia with it. Fortunately the elmiron has loosened me up a bit.

Metamucil

This has helped me 100%----"Metamucil" Original Texture 1-teaspoon 3x a day
    Good Luck

That is a lot of MOM- please let your MD know, esp if you have any kidney issues, as it can be hard on them. Ask for other ideas from your MD, you may want to try sorbital or miralax...

Poop problems on top of the IC stuff sucks..hang in there.
    I am blessed to have an Indiana Pouch now....I am glad I did it even though it has been a long road to recovery!
    IC since childhood, finally diagnosed at 31 yo
    PFD/Pelvic Pain,Allergies
    Low Back Pain s/p spinal fusion at 19 with more nastiness in back
    Hydrodistension 2001, 2005, 2011 w capsacian, 2011 with botox/ super pubic tube
    Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
    Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow, will most likely need to come out at some time
    Hysterectomy 2/3/12 w one ovary removed, Dry Eyes which is seen when you have less hormone.
    Meds
    Vit D- Vit B complex, Vit C, Ambien 10 mg at night
    Norvasc 2.5 mg/ estrodial 0.1 mg day, Senna 1 day, DSS 2 day, Norco 7.5 x 4 day, vaginal valium as needed.
    Methanamate-1 g daily, Ibuprofen 2 x day

I eat gala apples. They seemed to help me alot.

So sick and tired of bein' misused
    You're taking me down with all your mental abuse
    And I said, I gotta get you outta my head
    Everybody's always trying to look me over
    I just wanna live simple and free
    I just wanna get away
    Saving all your bullsh*t for another day
    I'm the only one that can rescue me from me

--Ally--

2 more years of hellschool.

(livejournal)
    just ask to be added!

MOM is my GI Drs. preferred remedy for me-fortunately its been well over a year, since the need...but then a year of IBS_D did it. LOL, you just can't have everything.

I have a swallowing problem, so he didn't like the cellouose ones due to the potential choking hazard-so MOM, is a very gntle wat to get through the night and feel so normal and may I say GREAT in the AM!!!! Try the regular version before proceeding to the more potent one. It is the olad standard and it does work.

I am now having the second discussion of the day on a topic I swore after listening to my in laws, I would never obsess about, even if I was 90....well, so much for that theory!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, This Is My Story, 1937

hey,

try eating grape-nuts everyday for a week.

it will get your bowels moving pretty good.

good luck!

shenna

I have found benefiber during the morning, or mixed in soup will begin to regulate you, it's good for either D. or C. You want to make sure your food combinations are strongly on the soluble side to match the stuff that takes longer to digest. My Dr. says all meds should be taken with food. You are tring to find the natural flow of your colon. it will take time. But it's really in the food combining that one gets on track. check out soluble/insoluble food choices and work with them and your fiber needs. Good Luck! And one good rule when you are constipated,,,,don't sit longer then 15 minutes and strain, if it's not happening, get up. do moderate exercise and within a couple of days you should get into a pattern thats good for you. :woohoo:

Thread Information