Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving
    ICN Member

Heart damage from Elavil?

I was warned that Elavil can cause heart damage, irregularities and such. Has anyone had this happen? Has it been known to happen with such low doses? Is there something safer that will help as much as Elavil?
    Thanks

ICN Member

heart damage from Elavil

It has raised my pulse rate to over 100 but my EKG is normal. It makes me nervous. I wish I could take more because it helps my bladder.
    Indy

Elavil has been my saving grace. I am now down to 5 mg. I have never heard of the heart damage thing. my blood pressure is the low side. I guess every drug has some side effects but I wouldnt go off the elavil and back to IC for all the tea in China.

Elavil has been my saving grace. I am now down to 5 mg. I have never heard of the heart damage thing. my blood pressure is the low side. I guess every drug has some side effects but I wouldnt go off the elavil and back to IC for all the tea in China.

I've been on Elavil for 9 years *25mgs* per night at bed-time and it's been like a Godsend to me. I was on it 7 years prior to getting IC. It's basically wiped out my migraines *unless i screw up and eat a bananna or huge amounts of Chocolate*. But this drug is wonderful and my pulse rate has not changed at all nor has my blood pressure since starting it years ago.

WebMD Discritption of Elavil

What is the most important information I should know about amitriptyline?
    It may be 4 weeks or more before you start to feel better, but do not stop taking amitriptyline without first talking to your doctor.
    Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Amitriptyline may cause drowsiness or dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.
    Dizziness is likely to occur when you rise from a sitting or lying position. Rise slowly to prevent dizziness and a possible fall.
    Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking amitriptyline.
    What is amitriptyline?

Amitriptyline is in a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. Amitriptyline affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression.

Amitriptyline is used to relieve symptoms of depression such as feelings of sadness, worthlessness, or guilt; loss of interest in daily activities; changes in appetite; tiredness; sleeping too much; insomnia; and thoughts of death or suicide. Amitriptyline is also sometimes used to treat certain types of pain.

Amitriptyline may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking amitriptyline?
    Do not take amitriptyline if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) within the last 14 days.

Before taking amitriptyline, tell your doctor if you have

liver disease;
    kidney disease;
    asthma;
    thyroid disease;
    diabetes;
    stomach or intestinal problems;
    high blood pressure or heart disease;
    had a heart attack in the last 6 weeks
    ;
    an enlarged prostate or difficulty urinating; or
    glaucoma.
    You may not be able to take amitriptyline, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.

Amitriptyline may be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take amitriptyline without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
    Amitriptyline passes into breast milk and may affect a nursing baby. Do not take amitriptyline without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

If you are over 60 years of age, you may be more likely to experience side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, unsteadiness, feeling uncoordinated, and low blood pressure. Your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of this medication.

How should I take amitriptyline?

Take amitriptyline exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.

Take each dose with a full glass (8 oz) of water.

Amitriptyline may be taken several times a day or in one daily dose (usually at bedtime). Follow your doctor's instructions.

Do not stop taking amitriptyline suddenly. This could cause symptoms such as nausea, headache, and malaise.
    It may be 4 weeks or more before you start to feel better, but do not stop taking amitriptyline without first talking to your doctor.
    Store amitriptyline at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
    What happens if I miss a dose?

Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not take a double dose of this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

What happens if I overdose?
    Seek emergency medical attention.

Symptoms of an amitriptyline overdose include seizures, confusion, drowsiness, agitation, hallucinations, and low blood pressure (dizziness, fatigue, fainting).

What should I avoid while taking amitriptyline?
    Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Amitriptyline may cause drowsiness or dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.

Dizziness is likely to occur when you rise from a sitting or lying position. Rise slowly to prevent dizziness and a possible fall.

Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking amitriptyline.
    Do not stop taking amitriptyline suddenly. This could cause symptoms such as nausea, headache, and malaise.

What are the possible side effects of amitriptyline?
    If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking amitriptyline and contact your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:

an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, face, or tongue; or hives);seizures; a fast or irregular heartbeat; a heart attack; high blood pressure; (blurred vision, headache); difficulty urinating; or fever with increased sweating, muscle stiffness, or severe muscle weakness.
    Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take amitriptyline and talk to your doctor if you experience

drowsiness or dizziness;
    dry mouth and eyes;
    constipation;
    mild tremor;
    sweating;
    mild agitation, weakness, or headache;
    ringing in the ears;
    nausea; or
    loss of weight or appetite.
    Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect amitriptyline?
    Do not take amitriptyline if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) within the last 14 days.
    Amitriptyline may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including other antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any other prescription or over-the-counter medicines without first talking to your doctor.

Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with amitriptyline. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal products.

If you are concern with the side effects of it you should talk with your doctor about other options for you.
    Jan
    If at first you don't succeed try try again!!
    My Space

Diagnosed: Arthritis 2002 Arthritis Foundation
    Diagnosed: IC Oct 2004 ic-network
    Diagnosed: RLS Feb 2005 RLS Foundation Southeren California RLS Support
    And my favorite url WebMD
    Taking: Mirapex, Elmiron and DitropanXL

This is actually one of the side effects I've got too. I'm on 20mg of Elavil, and I notice that I can't seem to get my heart rate below 80, when it used to be around 65 or 70. Not a major deal, but it still worries me a bit.

My doctor doesn't seem to think there's anything to worry about.. but at the same time, she said that Elavil can't cause these problems, so I wonder if she even knows what she's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
    I was warned that Elavil can cause heart damage, irregularities and such. Has anyone had this happen? Has it been known to happen with such low doses? Is there something safer that will help as much as Elavil?
    Thanks
    I have been on Elavil for eleven years and have no heart issus. I perform flawlessly on a stress test and my EKG is perfect. Elavil is the only thing that has helped me to live a somewhat normal life so it has been a godsend for me. I hate the constant hunger and sleepiness side effects but other than that I am so thankful for it. -Vicki
    Blessings and Hope

Current Meds.
    OFF MY MEDS
    Vivelle Dot: .10 changed every 72 hours
    Compoounded Progesterone 25mg/night

Current Supplements
    Hydroeye: 2 pills AM

Diagnosed
    1995: Endometriosis
    1998: Interstitial Cystitis
    2006: Bladder Endometriosis, Total Hysterectomy and Bowel Re-Section
    2008: Removal of Ovarian Remnant and Endometrial Cyst That was Obstructing Ureter
    2012: Laparoscopic Removal of Adhesions and Staples

A few people do have a side effect of racing heart and high blood pressure from elavil. I know that's how I reacted. My doctor said to stop it immediately --- and I went in to the office to be checked out. I only took it for a few days.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    I have a friend who has heart issues, she had surgery awhile back for heart palpatations. Anyhow, her cardiologist said NOT to take elavil that it is known to cause effects on the heart. She also has IC.
    Jen

Well, I think everyone is different. I have heard of it causing problems in some in fact, I think Jill had a bad reaction to it. I had a full cardio work up about six months ago. I was having some chest pain and worried about my heart because of side effects listed for Elavil. Anyhow, the EKG, Stress Test and 24 hour heart monitor tests were all fine, it turned out to be a pull muscle in my chest from weight lifting.
    Blessings and Hope

Current Meds.
    OFF MY MEDS
    Vivelle Dot: .10 changed every 72 hours
    Compoounded Progesterone 25mg/night

Current Supplements
    Hydroeye: 2 pills AM

Diagnosed
    1995: Endometriosis
    1998: Interstitial Cystitis
    2006: Bladder Endometriosis, Total Hysterectomy and Bowel Re-Section
    2008: Removal of Ovarian Remnant and Endometrial Cyst That was Obstructing Ureter
    2012: Laparoscopic Removal of Adhesions and Staples

ICN Member
    My heart sometimes feels like it's beating faster, but that's about it. Stuff seems to show normal as usual when it doesn't seem normal. Argh. Best of luck of that. Praying for you.

Thread Information