Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial

Does Bacterial Vaginosis have similar symptoms to IC?

Hello,

Just a question. Since I have not been "officially" diagnosed with IC, I am still in a little bit of hopeful denial. Since all my symptoms of pain and frequency and buring discomfort started, I have noticed a strange smell (sorry) when I pee and in my undies when I take tham off. NEVER had that smell before. I called the gyno on friday and she said that maybe it was Bacterial Vaginosis. Ok..so if it is...could THAT be the cause of this pain and frequency and buring..not IC???

If anyone has any experience with BV please let me know what you think. THANKS!

I have had BV several times in my life pre-IC and with IC. Before I had IC and had BV it didn't feel at all like IC --- it was itchy and I had burning. I think it can cause some urinary symptoms, but I think they are generally pretty mild??? I could be wrong.

When I have had it with IC it did make my IC flare up.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Angel watching over us
    BV has a gray discharge(thick in appearance) and smells awful, like dead fish.
    It can be easily treated with Flagyl. Usually doesn't cause any urinary issues per se, but sometimes your labia can get so irritated that it does hurt to urinate.

Hope you find some answers,
    Barb
    (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
    :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
    :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
    I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
    PCOS 7/85
    RSD 7/94 :headbang:
    Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
    Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
    Kidney stones--too many to count
    Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
    IC 6/03 :evilsmile
    Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
    "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
    "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thread Information