Latest Blog Article: Vaginal Mesh Sling Complications and IC?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help, Frequent urination is keeping me up all night!

Hi all. I really need some help. i cant get any sleep. I have been to my dr. a couple times in the past few weeks for very frequent urination, being much worse at night. The first time I went they told me that I didnt have a UTI but gave me antibiotics because of my symptoms. I took it and the frequent urination went away, but just a few days ago, it started up again. I went to the dr again and he told me that I didnt have a UTI. He suggested that I could possibly have cystocele or cystitis. He said I need to see a urologist. I am going to make an appt, but Im not sure when I can get in. I would just like to get some advice on something I could possibly do to help this problem in the meantime. My main symptoms are frequent urination, that lasts for a few days, and also I feel like I am not always able to empty my bladder completely. Also sometimes the urine is very warm. When I am laying down, I seem to get the urge to go to the bathroom even more intensely. I Have read about some OTC remedies, including "The Natural Bladder." They have a product called Bladder Control and Bladder Q, which have some herbal ingredients in them. I do not know if these would be good to take or not. Has anyone heard of them? And do they work? also does pyridium work for frequent urination not caused by a urinary tract infection? I dont know how i can deal with this much longer. if anyone has any advice please let me know. thanks.

Jen,

I hope you're feeling better by now, but in case you aren't I thought I'd reply. Pyridium does help many people (including me) with IC, but not a UTI. And, I don't know if you know that you can get it over-the-counter--it's called Azo-Standard. You could also try some Prelief, or baking soda in water (if your blood pressure is normal, not high), and OTC sleeping pills to help you get some rest. About the herbals, I'm not familiar with them, but I have read some posts here from women who are having success with some herbal remedies.
    Best wishes and prayers,
    Andrea

Pyridium helps me w/burning not w/frequency, although, that is just me. Baking soda (as icky as it is) helps me w/both burning and frequency. Some take a few tums w/water also, if you can't do the baking soda. A heating pad helps me at night when needed too. I have gotten to the point, when I cant sleep, frequency or not, I pop on that heating pad and I am out like a light
    Hope you get some relief real soon! Oh, anything with cranberry in it, stay away from (talking about the natural/herbal stuff you mentioned)
    Dawn

This test can help you determine if you have IC http://www.sworcare.com/IC%20survey.htm PUF test

http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/ this is an essential link for everyone with IC. It is very informative on meds, living with IC, and self help....take a look!!!

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...0935#post90935 Newbie kit from the oldies to the newbies

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7562 this link is a pain managment post.
    The second page has 4 attachments...the last one is a list of ideas for IC pain.....take a look if pain is problem for you.
    http://www.ic-network.com/search.html Yes I know those over the counter remidies.
    AAnything you find at this link http://www.icnshop.com/ is good for IC. I hope you feel better!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

ICN Member
    for some reason pyridium flairs my bladder and doesn't help at all! my main problem is frequency..and pyridium made it worse and even gave me bladder cramps. if i can't sleep at night due to a flair, i take a tranquilizer, or benadryl. but i try to avoid benadryl, because for some reason it seems to flair up my bladder. if i am in a severe flair and still can not sleep, i wear an adult pull up panty for maximum absorption.this is when i am really bad. for some reason the security of knowing i am wearing this and dont have to get up to go to the toilet, relaxes me mentally and i end up falling asleep.

Benadryl makes my bladder flare up too - even now I have to be a bit careful with that or I end up with increased frequency. Pyridium also made me worse.

I found back when I was really suffering, that the only thing that helped me was Percocet (narcotics). I got to the point where I no longer felt so ashamed to take them because they were the only thing that worked and I felt that I shouldn't have to spend the rest of my life a prisoner to my bladder every night.

Hope you feel better soon,

Blessings, Lori

Tired of going potty all night

I have tried Detrol for frequent urination. All it did was make me thursty so i drank more water and pottied more than usual.
    I don't have a flare, but am up every hour on the hour going potty all night long.

Needless to say i am sleep dedprived.

Over the counter sleeping pills do nothing for me except make me drowsie...then when I get up i am groggie, but it doesn't help with Frequency..

Any suggestions?

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    I'm in the same boat that you are in, I'm not flaring. I get up all night long -- my nighttime medincines don't help me sleep. I seem to get up from my desk every 45 minutes to 1 hour. (I take Levsin--tried Detrol and the others, the only thing that really helps me is Pyridum but you can't take that long term).
    The DMSO treatments didn't seem to help this time either. I go back to the doctors next week and see what else we can do.
    Needless to say, I go to work tired, and since my husband and I car-pool to work (gas prices are still a little high here, plus with the hour to an hour/and a half to work some days its a little too much for me, he lets me doze off some, as he knows that I don't sleep most nights.
    Last edited by mary124; 09-29-2006 at 03:10 AM.

sleep disorder

I too get up every two hours all night long and pee. Recently my URO suggested to me to be aware of what is waking me up. Do I feel bladder pain and urgency to pee? Do I wake up and pee just in case? Do I not have bladder pain and urgency, if not try to go back to sleep. The point he was trying to make is that IC and Nocturia can also be mixed with sleep disorders.
    In a sleep disorder you wake up many times during the night because your throat closes slightly and you snore to get air. As the throat relaxes and closes you wake up. If you have IC, you get up and pee just in case. Since most of us can almost always pee on demand it is easy to think all waking up is IC related. I can wake up, pee, go back to bed and fall asleep, like sleepwalking.
    I am going for a sleep disorder evaluation as I suspect with my snoring more may be going on here than just the IC.
    Sammie

hydroxyzine has helped me with nocturia

Those of you with nocturia,

If you haven't tried taking hydroxyzine, it's worth at least discussing it with your doctor to see if you can try it. It has helped me a great deal. Before I started taking it, I would get up to urinate at least six times nightly. Or, sometimes I'd be up until 2 a.m. because of frequent urination, or I would have a combo of both problems. Now, I usually only have to get up once or twice, which is much better! The only side effect I've had is dry mouth, but it's not so bad I can't tolerate it. As with every med, it won't be right for everyone, but I thought I'd share my experience.

cookie

What strength of hydroxazine are you taking that helped you sleep?
    Sammi

Taking Elavil at nite helped me sleep through, istead of waking up every hour on the hour.
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Trazadone

If not on elavil or hydroxy or if they don't help, ask about trazadone for the sleep, old antidepressent not used much because, it makes everyone sleepy!!!! Pretty well tolerated and may be an option. I take Ambien, which has been my lifesavor, but I wouldnt' recommend starting here.
    I am blessed to have an Indiana Pouch now....I am glad I did it even though it has been a long road to recovery!
    IC since childhood, finally diagnosed at 31 yo
    PFD/Pelvic Pain,Allergies
    Low Back Pain s/p spinal fusion at 19 with more nastiness in back
    Hydrodistension 2001, 2005, 2011 w capsacian, 2011 with botox/ super pubic tube
    Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
    Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow, will most likely need to come out at some time
    Hysterectomy 2/3/12 w one ovary removed, Dry Eyes which is seen when you have less hormone.
    Meds
    Vit D- Vit B complex, Vit C, Ambien 10 mg at night
    Norvasc 2.5 mg/ estrodial 0.1 mg day, Senna 1 day, DSS 2 day, Norco 7.5 x 4 day, vaginal valium as needed.
    Methanamate-1 g daily, Ibuprofen 2 x day

The only thing that's helped me with this problem - I was going every few minutes - is to sleep with an ice block wrapped in two thick towels & pressed against my urethra. I'm still waking up every few hours, but not being driven insane by not sleeping at all.

I hope you find something to help you soon; lack of sleep is hell. hugs

I take Detrol LA in the evening time, which does cause dryness, but I also take a pain pill at night, because detrol alone will not help me. Pressure is too much and painful. But now I only get up early in the mornings about 3 or maybe 4 times. It is better than all night long getting up.

Hope you find something that will help you.

Hugs, Trishann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information