Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what kind of candy can you eat?

I'm new to IC and on an elimination diet. I haven't seen anywhere what kind of candy I can have except white chocolate, which I don't much care for. What kind of candy might be okay for IC? I particularly love gummy fruit candy, but it all seems to have acid in it.

Hey square mom they have something called Carob at the health food stores you should be able to eat. It is chocolate for us who can't have choc, but I personally don't care for it much. I not big into choc except during certain times of the month so I really don't suffer much from doing without.(just kidding) I cheat and pay for it at the times when I need a choc fix but my IC isn't so bad right now. (knock on wood). Some people really like the Carob so give it a try you might find you like it...
    Good luck Cinder

I grew up in a health food store, and I do love carob!

I can eat Kraft caramel squares and Sugar Babies (coated caramel candies). I eat the heck out of carob! I absolutely love it! I make brownies with it at home, and a hot carob drink which tastes alot like hot chocolate. White chocolate flares me up something aweful.
    Jeannie

The Lord your God is the faithful God who for a thousand generations keeps his promises.

Deuteronomy 7:9

I can eat white chocolate KitKats if I drink milk & take 2-3 Preliefs.
    I can eat candy corn, with Prelief.
    I can also eat carob malt balls, available here for sale in the ICN store.
    I can also eat black licorice, also available here in ICN store or I can eat Panda brand, nice & chewy. (I get it at Trader Joe's)
    Not exactly candy, but I can eat caramel popcorn and vanilla meringue cookies (from Trader Joe's)

My favorite candy used to be jelly beans, but haven't found any without citric acid...
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond, they also have meringue cookies in different flavors. Yummy!

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Registered User desolationangel's Avatar
    Werther's Original hard candies are good for me, they're caramel candies.

If you can tolerate white chocolate, I am okay with Ferrero Rafaello (Ferrero Rocher's white chocolate/almond version) however I take some prelief just to be sure.
    Oh goodie, goth mimes. The best of both worlds. They pretend they're trapped in a box and then whine about how cruel and unfair it is.

My LiveJournal

Tampa Bay area in Florida/ Miami for college

Talking

For some strange reason I do ok with chocolate, if you're not in a huge flare you might want to try it just to see how your bladder tolerates it. I like eating milkyways but I do great with Cadbury chocolates (they don't bother my IC) that can be found in the foreign food sections of some grocery stores or at British/European import stores. I also love eating the ferrero rocher candies that have coconut on the outside and almonds and vanilla cream on the inside.... Licorice is a good option too.... I can also eat regular mento's without prelief and the fruity kind with prelief. I really miss eating sour patch kids, fuzzy peaches, and other sour candy and I doubt I will ever find an equivalent that I'll be able to eat.

Some British/European chocolates you may want to try (if you can't find it in your area, it is available at alot of online stores, and alot of these candy bars are also found in Canada)
    Cadbury:
    Crunchie (Golden honeycomb centre in Cadbury dairy milk chocolate)
    Mr. Big
    Time Out
    Lunch Bar
    Smarties (European version of M&Ms.... less bothersome to my IC)
    Roses
    Peppermint Crisp

Nestle:
    Aero Mint (delicious white mint chocolate)
    Milky Bar (my all time favorite white chocolate candy bar....tastes delicious and not like any white chocolate found in the US)
    Milky Bar Smarties (almost like white chocolate M&Ms yummmm)

Frys Turkish Delight
    French Nougat - DAMASCUS
    current meds:
    cytotec 200mcg twice daily
    toprol
    allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
    dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
    dx: endometriosis 2003
    dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
    elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
    elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
    a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Registered User Flarin-up Vicky's Avatar
    I don't think I like carob! I bought the Rice Dreams Carob drink ( I used to love drinking Nestle Quick chocolate milk) and it taste god awful, Yuck!! The after taste was the worst!! I'm not sure I if I want to order the Carob covered Almonds anymore,sorry!!

Some people can do ok with yogurt coated candies (if they don't have preservatives, etc) and there are some great carob covered almonds, raisins, etc. It just depends on what you like and can tolerate. I also like rock candy........my sis-in-law makes it for me all the time :-)

OH...........and when we had the Diet and IC workshop out in Boston last fall, SunRidge Farms donated some licorice, carob candies, and these little red licorice hearts (raspberry flavored). People loved them.......I don't think Jill has the raspberry ones, but if you want to see what else you may be able to have you can check in the store here: ICN Candy and Snacks
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Hi Vicky,
    The carob malt balls I've tried don't taste like the Carob Rice Dream. The only way I like the Carob Rice Dream is hot or over ice. Room temperature for some reason is nasty... Don't know why...
    Hope you find something you like.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Registered User desolationangel's Avatar
    I personally like carob, but kadi's right-- the malt balls don't really taste like carob and they don't have that aftertaste. maybe it's the strong taste of the malt?
    Oh goodie, goth mimes. The best of both worlds. They pretend they're trapped in a box and then whine about how cruel and unfair it is.

My LiveJournal

i know you said you didn't like white choc. but i love the white reese and the white kit kats
    I do okay with most candys i just stay away from the choc. and i miss my milk choc.
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Good Treats!

I had 1/2 a bag of Stella Doro Original cookies today
    for a week now, been eating when i get that need for sweets, Nabisco Nilla wafers!

Also for months been having (Necco Canada Mints)

I forgot to mention that I can eat Nilla Wafers too.."Sharing" just reminded me of them. And I tried the Golden Oreos which have no chocolate..they were ok for me. I tried the Carob Rice Dream once and hated it too. Blech! The milk is just yucky to me. I can see how it could scare someone off from carob. The brownies I make from carob and the carob candy I've eaten tastes alot different than the milk to me, totally different actually. Hurray for sweets... :woohoo:
    Jeannie

The Lord your God is the faithful God who for a thousand generations keeps his promises.

Deuteronomy 7:9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information