Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain
    ICN Member

Question Best antibiotic for UTI?

Hi,
    I am on the 2nd day of trimethorpin/sulfa (Bactrim) for a new UTI ... haven't had UTIs for several years so it was a surprise.
    Anyway, I read that a study of the AMA showed the E coli bactera have become resistant to this antibiotic. Should I call my dr. and ask for Cipro or Keflex? I am in miserable pain, more so than my usual IC. It FEELs like the infection is still in force.
    Thanks for any input and help...
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Lucida Console"]
    My blog: http://scaseyquilts.wordpress.com/
    1995 - Original symptoms: urethral pain and knife in the left side of vulva. Dx'd with "urethral syndrome" 1997- Dx'd with IC (potassium test) by Dr. Lowell Parsons. Tried all "usual" IC treatments, Elmiron, Atarax, DMSO, heparin, lidocaine instillations. 2000- First hydrodistention by Dr. Daniel Curhan, revealed classic IC glomerulations & mast cells. 2005 - 2nd hydrodistention by Dr. Christopher Payne, Stanford University; dx'd with "refractory" Interstitial Cystitis. 2006 - Dx'd with left-sided pudendal neuralgia by Dr. Jerome Weiss, had two unguided nerve blocks, pain got worse. 2008 - Tried botox, nerve blocks (vaginally) and physical therapy with Dr. Felicia Lane and PT Julie Sarton. 2010 - PNE (Pudendal Nerve Entrapment) surgery, TG approach, by Dr. Michael Hibner of Phoenix, AZ 2011- PNE surgery by Dr. A. Lee Dellon, frontal approach. Perineal branches of nerve (which goes to urethra and base of bladder) had significant damage and were excised as needed.
    Jan, 2012 - Dx'd with "centralized pain" by Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA Pain Management. 3-day ketamine infusion, nearly pain-free!!! Bad news: bladder flare 3 days after. No more ketamine.
    Oct, 2012 - Pain pump trial on Dr. Prager's recommendation. Awesome results!
    Nov. 13, 2012 - Implantation of intrathecal pain pump. After 2 months of adjustments it became my new best friend. Success at last!

Did they do a culture and sensitivity? If so, it should have given them information as to what antibiotic would work best with the particular strain of bacteria you are infected by.

I hope you feel better soon. UTIs really stink on top of IC..................
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Kim is right. It takes a culture and sensitivity test to be certain you are on the antibiotic that will be most effective for the specific bacteria causing your infection.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

for the e coli bat. they normally use leviquin on me normally its my ace in the whole.
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

ICN Member

Talking thanks & Bactrim/Cipro info

THANK YOU everybody . . .
    I'm feeling better
    I went back to Urgent Care doc this am and talked to him. They did another urinalysis and he decided to switch to Cipro since I still showed nitrates in my urine, which he said indicated bacteria. 2 days before I had blood and leukocytes in my urine as well, so I'm definitely improving. If you are interested in the article about Bactrim not being effective for UTIs, I will include the info here:

In a study funded by the National Institutes of Health, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis learned the reason bladder infections are so tough to beat is that the E. coli can dodge antibiotics by invading the immune system cells that line the wall of the bladder.

"The bacteria have become smarter, and we're seeing more antibiotic resistance," says David Talan, M.D., professor of medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine and chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine and faculty of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center. Talan is one of the authors of a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association that showed that E. coli bacteria have become resistant to a standard antibiotic, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX) for treating UTIs.

The study, which was funded by Bayer, involved 255 women with an average age 25 and had acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis, a serious type of kidney infection. Researchers found nearly 18 percent of strains of E. coli were resistant to TMP/SMX, yet none were resistant to ciprofloxacin, which falls into a new class of drugs called quinolones. Bayer manufactures ciprofloxacin (Cipro®).

Here is the link:
    http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...rt04192000.jsp
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Lucida Console"]
    My blog: http://scaseyquilts.wordpress.com/
    1995 - Original symptoms: urethral pain and knife in the left side of vulva. Dx'd with "urethral syndrome" 1997- Dx'd with IC (potassium test) by Dr. Lowell Parsons. Tried all "usual" IC treatments, Elmiron, Atarax, DMSO, heparin, lidocaine instillations. 2000- First hydrodistention by Dr. Daniel Curhan, revealed classic IC glomerulations & mast cells. 2005 - 2nd hydrodistention by Dr. Christopher Payne, Stanford University; dx'd with "refractory" Interstitial Cystitis. 2006 - Dx'd with left-sided pudendal neuralgia by Dr. Jerome Weiss, had two unguided nerve blocks, pain got worse. 2008 - Tried botox, nerve blocks (vaginally) and physical therapy with Dr. Felicia Lane and PT Julie Sarton. 2010 - PNE (Pudendal Nerve Entrapment) surgery, TG approach, by Dr. Michael Hibner of Phoenix, AZ 2011- PNE surgery by Dr. A. Lee Dellon, frontal approach. Perineal branches of nerve (which goes to urethra and base of bladder) had significant damage and were excised as needed.
    Jan, 2012 - Dx'd with "centralized pain" by Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA Pain Management. 3-day ketamine infusion, nearly pain-free!!! Bad news: bladder flare 3 days after. No more ketamine.
    Oct, 2012 - Pain pump trial on Dr. Prager's recommendation. Awesome results!
    Nov. 13, 2012 - Implantation of intrathecal pain pump. After 2 months of adjustments it became my new best friend. Success at last!

Glad you are feeling better!!!!!!!!
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

ICN Member
    I read that study too, but my e.coli bacteria is always resistant to Cipro and the other quinolones. I guess it's a safe guess for most people, but not everyone...

recurrent uti

Does anyone else have recurrent bladder infections?
    I take antibiotic and it works. I get off the antibiotic and it comes back with yeast. confused.

Nancy

ICN Member
    Yeah, I do. Sometimes it's just in lower amounts, but it's been a problem for me for a year and a half (see my other posts). I wish I had an answer. It's a viscious cycle, I think partly because the antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well which makes you even more prone to infection (and yeast). I went to 2 infectious disease doctors last year but they both suggested something different. My doctor says they've found that Cystistat instillation reduce bacterial levels in people with catheters and such, but then again, having an instillation itself poses a risk. Sorry I'm not much help, but you're not the only one.

I get infections often and yeast along will it. I ask for a yeast pill whenever I am put on a antibiotic .
    Kelly
    To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
    I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member

Wink

[Have you tried douching with vinegar and water to prevent yeast infection recurrences? I was just talkiing to my sister who told me nothing ever worked to get rid of her yeast until she used the vinegar and water old time remedy...simple but true.

ICN Member
    I used to get bladder infections frequently until my gynocologist told me I had to urinate within 15 min. after intercourse. Since then it hasn't been a problem.

Smile

Wow I totally understand what you gals are talking about this has been a very big battle for me in the last year or so. My dr. has me on Bactrim for "antibiotic therapy." I take one before or after any sexual contact with hubbie. I think it helps but I still battle with the UTI infections at least once a month the dr. has tried me on other antibiotics too for therapy.
    When I do get a infection he will put me on Leviquin 500mg for 5 days and that will most of the time kill it. I think it is very very important also to remember to ALWAYS go straight to the bathroom and urinate after sex! That is a biggie I even at times get right into the shower to clean myself off. Us Ic'ers need all the help we can get in order to keep control of these infections. God knows we live in pain already let alone battling UTI's which make your pain 100% worse.
    Good Luck To You All

Kim

Thread Information