Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #30 - With gratitude, we honor those who have left their mark on the IC movement

Thread: almond milk

Unhappy almond milk

I was reading a post in the diet section last week and it mentionned almond milk. I thought I could try vanilla and warm it up instead of coffee. I am now in the worst flare I have ever had and that is the only thing I can think that caused it. Has anyone ever had a flare due to that?

Dear Melissa: I read the almond milk too. Just bought some today. Have just drunk my 2nd. 4 ozs glass prior to bed. I drink nothing but copious amounts of RO water. I want this to work. Tasty, isn't it? I don't know yet. I have a very sensitive system and things feel rather different. I will let you if I flare. Will know by the morning. Sorry you're in a flare. Another reminder that IC has many faces. A new e-mailer friend was telling me about friendly bacteria in buttermilk. All trial and error but these flares can be very unforgiving. For what it's worth, hang in there. Katyy, with her fingers crossed!

Wink

Thanks for the response, Katyy. I hope it didn't cause you a flare. I am still flaring like a forest fire, but am trying to remain positive and hopeful that it will go away soon!!!! TAke care!

What brand of almond milk are you buying? I bought some but it didn't taste very good.
    Pam

I purchased Almond Milk (Almond Breeze) and tried it lastnight. I also had a flare from it..Not the worst I have ever had but it did keep me up most of the night. It had to be the milk because I had kept on my IC Diet all day and did not start hurting until I drank the milk. I did notice that Soy Lecithin is in the ingredients and I have a very big problem with soy. I usually do not post but thought this might help someone else.

Wherever the wind blows us as we love to travel! Originally from the Dayton, Ohio area. We now call Georgetown, TX home.

I know there has been a lot of discussion lately about almond milk. I would NEVER try it as I am extremely allergic to almonds and had this allergy for 25 years before developing IC. For those of you flaring from the almond milk, have you ever been tested for food allergies? I realize many ICers tolerate almonds well but, for those of us who don't, could it be an allergic reaction to the almonds causing the flare? Nut allergies are rather common in the general population. I certainly don't have the answer to this but thought I'd bring it up for your consideration. Do you tolerate almonds ok but react only to the almond milk? That might indicate whether you are reacting to the almonds or another ingredient in the almond milk.

Annie
    Annie

IC
    Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Almond milk (Almond Breeze) continues to give me total and complete relief from urethral pain. Not bladder, just urethra. I can't tolerate nuts generally, gives me canker sores and can't tolerate soy either except an occasional veggie burgie but for whatever reason, I have no trouble at all with this. I love the flavor too. At first I had to drink 4 oz. every 4 waking hours but I don't have to use that often now to maintain a pain-free urethra. Incidentally someone posted about calcium helping with spasms. I can't tolerate citrate or carbonate but started calcium lactate and lo and behold, wiped out the spasm issue too. I can tell when either the calcium lactate or almond milk wear off. Now if I can just find something to help the bladder. But 2 out of 3 is a great start!
    Dianne

My bellydance "sisters" , our dogs, and me.

almond milk flare

I have been trying a no wheat, no dairy, no sugar diet for the last couple days to see if it helps and I've been in so much pain since I started! But reading this now I think it's the almond milk I've been drinking because it's the only thing I can think of that I've had all three days so far (usually my food-induces flares only last a day.)
    - Diagnosed Oct 2007
    - Dextroamphetamine has improved my symptoms and given me more energy
    - Prelief allow me to have some bad foods, but I follow the diet as much as possible
    - Physio for pelvic floor dysfunction has helped a little
    - Bladder distention Jan 2008 made me worse
    - Elmiron didn't help after 9 months
    - very slow improvement of symptoms, still in pain every day.

It has to be another one of those things that bother some people, but it is really helpful for others. I, like Annie, would like to know if those of you who are bothered by the almond milk are also bothered by the almonds. Maybe, like Annie said, it is an allergy to the nut itself. It will be interesting to find out.

Hugs.........Julie
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member
    I switched to almond milk about 6 mos ago.. I have been in horrible pain, but no more or less than I was with soy milk.. so I don't know if I can attribute it to it.. although the almond milk is much more expensive I am so sorry it caused you a flare
    Healing thoughts

Bea

Have bought some almond milk yesterday and since drinking it my I've had no pain - except for maybe a very slight spasm once today. Normally after I pee in the morning it's like fire in my urethra (...weird image, soz) but today it was NO pain! I even had sex this morning (sorry again if this is over share) which normally brings on the burn too but nothing I'm praying that it lasts. Urethral pain is my only symptom (still undiagnosed) so I'm reallly praying this clears it up

Just thought i'd add my bit

Good luck everyone xx PIX

Almond breeze has carrageenan in it (as a thickener) and that causes irritation for a lot of people. I won't buy products that have carrageenan in them, although I'm pretty sure it is in most frozen yogurts, and I can indulge in that now and then with no noticeable effects. I think that the vitamins they often add to plant based milks might also be an irritation for me.

I was planning to make my own rice milk this summer, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Years ago, I made my own almond milk by putting almonds, water, and sugar in the blender and then straining it.
    Elinor

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    That I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.
    Wait on the Lord;
    Be of good courage,
    And He shall strengthen your heart;
    Wait, I say, on the Lord!
    ***Psalm 27:13-14***

http://facinglif.blogspot.com/

Thread Information