Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Exclamation Sharp urethra pain....

Hi...I'm in the midst of a really bad flare. I never really had sharp shooting urethra pain....but this time I do.

What are some things you do to help with this symptom???

Thanks in advance!!

heating pad or ice which ever makes it feel better place it on the spot that is having the sharp pains.
    pain meds if you have any if not take some tylonal to try to help.
    a nerve pill sometimes helps relax the bladder if needed. sometime sitting in a hot tub of water helps too.
    but you really need to be checked for an infection call your doctor office in the morning or call tonight if this doesn't get better soon
    sending you hugs and prayers
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

thanks for the advice!!

i am pretty sure it is not an infection...as i have had them before and can tell the difference between them and a flare. (especially since it ALWAYS shows up in urine tests that i have a UTI.)

i currently have no insurance and was waiting for my elmiron to show up from ortho-mcneil....so i ran out....and didn't take it for 2 days, which is why i am super sick today.

i think i will try the ice....i've been using a heating pad and it doesn't seem to be helping very much.

xoxox

I like to take a hot bath or just relax. Usually when I relax I end up falling asleep and when I wake up the pain is gone. I hope your not hurting too much longer. Chelsey

I have had major urethra pain and I know it's not from eating anything on my no no list. Over the counter pain relievers don't work at all. But, AZO standard or uristat sound at pharmacies help with UTI, so that's what I used. It helped much better than Tylenol. Plus, sitting in cold water or an ice pack helped provide some relief. I really feel for you because I am looking for answers too.

bunnykinb
    '

ICN Member
    Hi, I was just going to add that I have been experiencing severe urethra pain also lately but I have connected it to a new facial cream I recently bought. It contains amongst other ingredients a product called METHYLPARABEN which I have heard years ago can cause bladder irritation. It didn't click with me at first so I went ahead and used the cream for three days. By yesterday I was going crazy with the pain. So the only thing I can suggest is if you use some sort of cream (I would imagine the Methylparaben is an ingredient in other things but I don't know) that contains this ingredient it might be a factor in your urethral pain. I have not used the cream now since yesterday morning and by today I am feeling a little better but still worse than prior to using the cream a few days ago. Just a thought!!!

Louise

Louise, I did some research and found that Olay Total Effects contains that ingredient. It's a preservative and seems to be in just about everything. I started using it a few months ago, at the same time I started this flare. I'm going to stop and see if it helps. At this point, I'm willing to try anything. I'm going to check all my moisturizers. The Walgreens site is an excellent place, it lists the ingredients of everything.

Oh thanks for the headsup on the ingredient in the product. I will have to check out mine, I use Olay as well, and never thought about that affectiong the bladder, thanks for the info, Iris.
    Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.

ICN Member

Methylparaben

Hi Kara & Lois,

I hope you notice a difference in your bladder pain and symptoms once you stop the cream. I used my cream for three days and by the start of the third day I felt something was wrong but couldn't identify what brought it on.
    Then the light bulb went on - METHYLPARABEN!!! As I said, I remember something about it years ago that finally clicked on.

Today my urethra and bladder are feeling a heck of a lot better than they were yesterday; but the pain is still worse than before I started the cream.
    My pharmacist said to give it a few days and especially with having IC she said it would take a little longer. But at least I feel that the worst of the storm is over!!

I said that to my husband and other friends, particularly those who have IC - it would be interesting to know if there are a lot of women (mainly) who like me and you gals decided to try a new facial cream and I know in my case ended up with just horrible urethral and bladder pain. Maybe I will see if Donna and/or Jill would like to post a notice about this incident so more of us can decide if their bladder symptoms may be due to trying to decrease the darned wrinkles that IC probably helped to put there in the first place with the added stress on our bodies and psyche!!

Please let us know how you feel in a few days if you decide to stop using the cream. I truly hope you find that is what the culprit is and you begin to feel much better!!

Sincere thoughts,

Louise

What a thought about facial creams. What facial cream is used now that doesn't contain the irritative ingredient? I have been using Ponds which doesn't contain that, but I just checked out my shampoo and conditioner that does contain the preservative. Could shampoos cause problems too?

bunnykinb

i have had urethral pain in the past, and accupuncture is the thing that helped me the most.

insurance may or may not cover (i noticed you saying you don't have ins. right now). most accupuncturists will work out a payment plan with you...i've heard that many doctors will as well. they want to help you, you just need to ask.

as for methyparaben, it is in a ton of things and i never even heard about that ingredient causing issues before! i just ran around the house looking at stuff and it's everywhere!

recently, a friend of mine suggested using apple cider vinegar as a toner instead of moisturizing. it sounds nuts, but your facial skin really does like it a little more acidic. i've been using it for several months with no ill effect (and my face feels so soft) but i imagine if you can absorb the methylparaben you would also potentially be able to absorb the vinegar too, which would be bad. maybe try it once and see if anything happens.

if you do try it, i use a cotton ball to apply, let it sink in for a few minutes, and then rinse it off with plain water (otherwise you smell like a salad...not appealing!). it will burn like hell but it stops quickly and it really works wonders on my skin. i don't need to use a moisturizer at all afterwards, and the oily patches on my face are much better controlled as well.

good luck!
    "One only need to look around to see that Darwin was an optimist" - myself

I've never thought about products I use affecting my bladder. I use Olay daily facial cloths at night and Olay moisturizer in the morning. Both have that preservative. I just starting using them about two years or so ago, which is about when my symptoms popped up again. (I had been in remission for a few years.)

I'm going to try going without them for a few days and see if I notice a difference. I know we are all sensitive to different things, but I'm willing to try this. Preservatives in food don't seem to bother me, but you never know.

If you all find a moisturizer or cleanser that doesn't have it, please post it. I also found that www.olay.com had a place where you can look up their products and all of its ingredients. I know my moisturizer bottle only listed the active ingredients.
    ~ Stacey

Check out my blog on motherhood (and work) at http://www.writtencreations.com/blog

the link below is for a website that has researched thousands of chemicals that are included in our everyday household products, and then provided a list (categorized) of which products contain them, as well as all the different names it can appear under. for example, methylparaben is AKA propylparaben.

anyway, if the link doesn't work, go to www.ewg.org and search for "skin deep" under reports. it's free, you don't need a membership, and the information is invaluable for people with chemical sensitivities.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/...p?chem_id=4178

-michele

i forgot to mention that the website also ranks, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) each product and tells you why (cancer risk, untested ingredients, etc etc).

as an aside, i have used Dr. Bronner 18-in-1 Pure-Castile Soap, Hemp Almond (score: 2.3 at ewg.org...about as low as it gets...in fact, lower than most if not all baby care products!) as a body wash for years and it's lovely, it smells good, and you can also use it for almost any cleaning you can come up with (i know people who brush their teeth and do their dishes and laundry with it...really). the package alone is quite an enjoyable reading...they take product usage ideas a little further than many companies. it's also biodegradable/safe for the environment...basically it's all good stuff. health food stores have it, some drug stores. you won't find it in most grocery or mass merchandiser stores. you can get small size to try, and they have it in big bottles as well. you can also buy it from their website where you can also get a sense for what a good company they are and try to be. they also make bar soap, btw. www.drbronner.com.

this is the entire list of ingredients: Water, Saponified Coconut-Hemp-Olive Oils (with retained Glycerin), Olive Fatty Acids, Natural Bitter Almond Fragrance, Rosemary Extract

one word of warning...although the peppermint variety smells heavenly and is cooling (really nice in the summer), be VERY CAREFUL not to get it too close to sensitive vaginal tissues esp if you suffer from vulvodynia because it burns like hell and it takes quite a few hours to go back to normal...needless suffering! and bear in mind, i don't use anything but pure water on those tissues...this was just from rinsing the rest of me! use a shower hose so you can direct the water elsewhere or just use another variety (i think they have 5...the baby care one is especially gentle).

good luck!

ICN Member
    My IC pain is pain in the urethra, and I find that I can't put a heating/cooling pad "there" because it is up inside me ..... does that make sense? It feels like there is a bleach soaked tampon inside me. I usually end up in the fetal positions holding my crotch. The #1 way to relieve the pain is to sit on the toilet and pretend that I'm peeing .... relaxing those muscles. It doesn't make it go away, but I can tolerate it. Once I stand up, the pain comes back ..... but for those times when you just can't handle the pain, try that.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information