Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014

How long for Pyridium to work?

Just curious...how long does it take for a pill of pyridium to "kick in"?

Also, what is the difference between Pyridium and Uri-Stat?

Thanks.

Hi, Daniel, I am not sure I know what Uri-stat is so I can't answer that question.

Back when I was having UTI's, before IC, I would take a pyridium and within an hour would get significant relief. Basically as soon as I started urinating orange urine, I was much better.

Now, for some reason, pyridium doesn't help me anymore. I don't know why. But I'm not alone, there is a subset of IC patients who do not experience relief with pyridium.

I hope you are not one of those of us, for whom pyridium does not provide relief.

If it doesn't help you at all and you have tried many times, up to the maximum dose that your doctor authorizes, you might want to talk with your doctor and I'm guessing he will say "okay stop the pyridium" and hopefully he will let you try another medication that can help you.

Blessings, Lori

Wherever the wind blows us as we love to travel! Originally from the Dayton, Ohio area. We now call Georgetown, TX home.
    Daniel,

Uristat and Pyridium are the same medication. Uristat has a slightly lower dosage and is sold over-the-counter while Pyridium is by prescription only.

Like so very many meds, Pyridium / Uristat helps some ICers and not others. It usually begins working within a very short time as Lori explained. If Pyridium doesn't help you, there are other similar medications your doctor can prescribe which might be more effective for you. Like so much else with IC, it sometimes takes a while to find what works best in your individual situation.

Annie

Actually, Lori, here in Canada Pyridium/Uristat is precription only, and my urologist won't even prescibe me any (I'm assuming because he is concerned about mis-use). So my mom bought me some in Buffalo when she was there. I haven't tried it yet...I figure I will only try it if I am in a lot of pain and absolutely need to function that day (during a big test, presentation, trip, etc).

Oh, okay, sounds good! Isn't it odd that some medicines are available in one country but not in another? I would give anything if only I could try Cystistat, that new stuff that is showing such promise! Maybe someday it will be available in the U.S.

Actually I'm having a good day today. Don't know if it was the Lupron shot or the Prozac I started yesterday but...I will enjoy it while I can. My pain is gone and my urgency/frequency is much less too.

The only warning I can think about this drug is, I've heard never to use it long-term (more than a few days at a time) because it can be hard on the kidneys. Also - sorry for being so gross, but - well, you might want to wear old underwear that you are going to throw out afterwards, when you use it. That orange dye is really potent stuff. And oh my goodness what a mess it would be if any of the orange dye were to miss the toilet bowl somehow!

Anyway if it does help you, and you don't take it long-term, it can be a useful thing to have.

Blessings, Lori

I take pyridium 3 times a day every day since august my doc prescribed it and It works sometimes better than others your right its very messy but it keeps life normal. I started something like it today called urimar-T and was told 3-4 times a day. My gp however once told me that the over the counter stuff AZO that I was taking (the same as uri-Stat) could turn toxic on you kind of like rat poison he said but I took it forever before the doc. prescribed the pyridium. I keep you guys posted on the Urimar-t maybe it will help some that the pyridium doesn't work for

good luck I hope it works for you

michie

Hey, Daniel. Pyridium only works for me when I have a UTI, not for a flare, but I am thankful for it when I it does help! I've had problems since I was three (now 25) and have hoarded it when I can throughout my whole life. It comes in handy.

If Pyridium doesn't work for you, you might see if you have Urisym available. It's new here in the U.S. My uro prescribed it for me a few months ago. It didn't seem to help. The funniest thing, though is that it turns your urine blue. That was interesting! Because it's so new, there wasn't a warning about that on the bottle.

Anyway, I think with both when your urine starts changing colors is when they start working. However, it also depends on how long you are able to hold it before you go to the bathroom. I know that when I go about every half hour, my urine has very little change in color. When I wait longer it's darker.

Good luck!
    ~ Stacey

Check out my blog on motherhood (and work) at http://www.writtencreations.com/blog

pyridium

Hi,
    I have had IC for 10 years. I also have a problem with retention/frequency/urgency. I know when ever I had taken Pyridium, my retention symptoms become so severe that I would need to self-catheterize myself....no fun. It is not a common side effect, but it is documented in some literature. Good luck....
    Last edited by tac1962; 01-26-2005 at 07:33 AM.

I take Pyridum Plus 3 days on and 2 days off. That is how my uro has said for me to take it. It does help some with the pain but not enough for me to be really comfy. As far as the burning it does stop that for me though so I take it and have a standing RX at the drugstore for it.
    My Furbabies

IC Diagnogsed 8/16/2004
    Fibro Diagnosed 07/25/2005
    Prolapse Vagina 10/16/05 With upcoming surgery to correct. 12/16/05 Just a couple of days away now.
    Gee isn't life fun??????

Thread Information