PDA

View Full Version : Mr first (and I hope last) urodynamics test (a males story)

Aspencad
06-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Ok guys & gals I just got back from the uro testing center. I had read what theclownmaster wrote before going. Good thing I did not read windwalkers. My experience was more windwalker related. First thing I must tell you is I am a male. Arived at testing center with voiding diary of 3 days in hand. Average void was as followes: 17 times a day & 180 cc's (over a 3 day period). At the center I voided 300 cc's before the test began. When she put the catheter in (the new Lo Fric) it hurt like (well my mother told me not to say those words.. please use your imagination). She pulled the lo fric out and tried a regular catheter. It took some doing but it went in a little better. Tester said some males have that beloved organ called the prostrate that just happens to get in the way. Imagine that..(and here comes the blood)..!!! After the cath. went in she got another 100 cc's out. I think were on to something.... As the test progressed I got about 310 cc's in me before having to go (pe). After she measured the amount that came out (I had to stand up to pe & I made her leave the room.. sorry I'm a little shy and can't pe with someone standing right beside me..especially if that some one is female and thumbing the counter waiting on me to go...) another 100 cc's dribbled
out....the plot thickens!! Oh, did I mention I was bleeding!!! I asked her what the average "cc" amount was, through my tears. I had heard as much as 800. She said anywhere from 300 to 600 was what she thought was average. I guess everone is different. Anyway, pelvic floor muscles seem to be OK. When I coughed she was getting a good reading from them. So now I'm asking the experts.(Thats you guys).. What are you gals thoughts.?? The tester mentioned the possibiltiy of an obstruction keeping me from completly voiding. But even if I voided an extra 100 cc's or my bladder could hold an extra 100 cc's I really don't see me staying away from the bathroom that much longer. My problem has always been frequency during the day & night and not getting enough sleep. I have not slept over 3 straight hours in 15 yrs. So I am really purplexed. I have never had any pain or problems like that. What are your thoughts. Have to wait 2 wks before rescheduling an apointment to get results. Thanks.

Dixiefireball
06-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Sounds like you been threw a heck of a day. :grouphug: It does sound like there is something blocking the way for you to let out all the urine in your bladder. well that is what happen to me anyway i had to have surgery. They went in a removed the blockage i had.
but this is what happen to me.
I know this isn't something you want to hear when your a male and all but the heparin and maracine treatments helped me i don't go to the bathroom nearly as much as i did. Even after my surgery i still went alot but not as much. I started talking my treatments and i'm down to 7-10x a day unless i have an infection or flareing.
wishing you well sorry i don't have any real answer for you.
hopefully one of the other ladies will.
sending you hugs and prayers
Rhonda

rjyoon
06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
I used to have low volumes & residuals. That really annoyed me that my bladder sensations were lying to me & reading "empty" when there were residuals. I changed my habits & pushed beyond when I "felt empty" & got the rest out. That helped a tiny bit on frequency. I know that straining isn't good, but I didn't strain, just kept pushing. I had hydrodistentions to increase volumes. At least I was under general anesthesia for those catheritizations. Wasn't any fun afterwards.

Being female & not having obstructions, I can't speak to that part.

I can TOTALLY relate to the not sleeping for very long part. See my posts elsewhere on that subject. Now that I've solved my frequency at night sleep problems, life is completely different. Bladder spasms were my culprit, and addressing them with neurostim worked for me. I've used three different methods over the years. PM me if you have any questions.

Sarojini
06-29-2004, 02:55 PM
My goodness, Aspencad, that certainly does not sound like a very pleasant day... so sorry it was so difficult for you.

I personally have not had urodynamics done but I have been cathed numerous times... I even cath myself when necessary. It is never pleasant. But I just can't imagine how nasty it is for a man... your urethra is at least twice as long as a woman's... yeeeeeooooowwwwwch.

I hope the urodynamics gave useful information for your doctor though... and that you have recovered from the test!!!

lotsofgirls
06-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi Aspencad,
My urodynamics was like yours, low volumes with residuals. My uro did a hydro after the urodynamics test and my volumes got alot better, and frequency dropped, but I still had residuals, which I call retaining. I can do some tricks to get my bladder completely empty, like Ryjoon. My tricks are a hot bath and voiding in the water - sounds awful but 100 ccs is not enough to spoil the water :rolleyes:
Cath

blue
06-29-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry the test was so rough on you. I've never had it, and don't want to! YUCKY!

I hope you are feeling better very quickly!

windwalker
06-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Aspencad, sorry your experience was bad, at least its over. Since I wasn't able to go farther than having the cath put in, and taken right out, I can't be of help, but wanted to let you know we understand how you feel and are here. Rest as much as ya can. Has your doc put you on Elavil by chance? That has been helping me to get through the nights with only going maybe once or twice now. Getting more sleep this way. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Take care of yourself.
Dawn

icnmgrjill
06-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Hmmm.... you've had it for 15 years.... you could pee modestly (BTW... I couldn't pee with someone in the room either.... and it was the most humiliating experience I have EVER gone through)

Hmmm... hmmmm.... I'm thinking muscle tension and that you're unable to complete relax those muscles to void. Did you sustain some type of injury fifteen years ago??? Falling, car accident??? Jamming your crotch on a bike seat???? That could have been the trigger and, since then, those muscles just haven't been able to relax. Hmmm..

What's really strange is that the lo fric didn't work? I've heard so many glowing reports about it making the tests so much easier. Could it be that, if you did have a prostate swelling, it got stuck on that.... and that the regular cath just plowed right through???

Hmmm.. Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmmm

Jill :)

Marlana
06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Jill
You are soooo funny...

Aspencad
07-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Thank you ladies for all of your responses and all the advice from the "PM's". Thank you Windwalker, RJYOON, and Jill. Will be taking what you sent me Jill when I go see my Neuro. Currently trying TENs unit (thanks RJYOON) no luck on this first night but will keep trying.

windwalker
07-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Anytime Aspencad. Hope you get some relief real soon. Crossin my fingers for ya.

Katrina
07-05-2004, 01:43 PM
:kiss: ((((big hug))))
Good luck in your treatments... I hope things turn out ok.

theclownster
07-12-2004, 05:57 PM
HI there! Sorry to hear about your horrible test. It was not a pleasant experience for me either. It sounds very yucky!!!

I'll send you a pm.

Jennifer

Hangin' Tough
07-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I am also a male with IC. I have retention, up to 200 cc's more at times. There is no obstruction in my case, believe me, they have looked and looked and looked. And there are only so many ways to look. My prostate is normal size so my retention is something other than that. They can do a ultra-sound of your prostate. WARNING WARNING WARNING -This is a very invasive procedure. The actual name of the test is a trans-rectal ultrasound of the prostate! Enough said.

Steve

classics
07-19-2004, 11:04 AM
My heart really goes out to you "guys" who have to have these painful tests. My urodynamics test was very unpleasant, so I can only imagine how much more pain you go through.

Jasco
07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi Aspencad,

Sorry for how your urodynamics test went, I had one done last month. Like you it wasn't pleasant but apparently not as bad as your's. Like you I am male I have been dealing with this for about two years. I do have a lot of pain it seem more so at night. When I did my urodynamics study my 3 day bladder log average about 45 times a day and probably average around 20cc each time. The most was 40 cc the least was 10cc. At night I get up on average 8 to 10 times. No way to get a restful sleep. During the study when they pump the water into my bladder I had the urge to pee and started feeling the pain after the nurse only put in around 30cc of fluid. Later this week I go in for a Hydro I hope it helps but reading these stories of the pain afterwards has me a little nervous.