PDA

View Full Version : Pain 2 weeks after cystoscopy. Please help.

academy25
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for looking at this. I am a 28 year old male.

Two weeks ago I went in for a Cysto because of frequency/urgency sensations in my bladder. I had a really painful Urodynamics and Cysto and my doctor was very mean throughout the procedure. Results came back normal w/ possible pelvic floor dysfunction. A day later, burning pain with urination went away, and there was really never any blood. 5 days later, I developed burning during urination again, so I called the nurse and she put me on Cipro for 3 days. No help really. During this time I began, and continue to have an irritated urethra, giving me the constant sensation to urinate--as if signaling from my urethra rather than my bladder. A day later, I was put on Keflex for 2 days and on the third day I went in for a UA/culture, which came back positive for nitrites (I was on Pyridium) but the culture came back negative for bacteria. That day the doctor upped my Keflex dose. Now it is 2 more days later, a total of 13 days after the cystoscopy, I have no certainty of infection, and my urethra still feels severe irritation along with a constant sensation to pee, an irritable stimulation sensation, as well as occasionally the sensation there is still a drip of urine at the bottom of my urethra. I didn't have any of these symptoms before the cysto.

My main question is do you think the doctor could have injured me during the cystoscopy, or is that very unusual and more so related to when more advanced procedures are done with the scope? If I was damaged, wouldn't that probably be cleared up by 2 weeks regardless? Could the doctor even possibly injured me on purpose? He just seemed so mean for some reason.

ICNDonna
04-17-2013, 10:27 AM
You could have some irritation caused by the cystoscope; if that's the case, it should feel better very soon. I doubt that you were injured intentionally. Some doctors don't have good communication skills, but most do care. Be sure you are getting enough water to drink so your urine won't be concentrated, which can cause some irritation.

I hope you feel better soon.

Donna

academy25
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you so much for the reply and support, Donna. Have you heard of people still experiencing urethral irritation after two weeks? Seems anywhere I look, most people are better by 4 days or so. This just seems excessive to me and I'm not even sure what steps to take.

GodgrantsMercy
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
hey academy I have had bad doctors............period! 2 weeks is a long time.....i was fine after 3-5 days. I was diagnosis May of 2012 and have your same symptoms right now. It's just part of the IC with flares and such, but there are jerks, docs, out there..........so be careful, look into it further, go online and look up the docs credentials..................they all have a page for this.......look for others opinions on him!!!!!!! Hope u feel better Lisa

academy25
04-17-2013, 12:45 PM
hey academy I have had bad doctors............period! 2 weeks is a long time.....i was fine after 3-5 days. I was diagnosis May of 2012 and have your same symptoms right now. It's just part of the IC with flares and such, but there are jerks, docs, out there..........so be careful, look into it further, go online and look up the docs credentials..................they all have a page for this.......look for others opinions on him!!!!!!! Hope u feel better Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. Just for clarity purposes, the doctor is from the top hospital in my state and is also a professor with the university so I'm sure he is well qualified, I just for some reason think he particularly disliked me for unknown reasons or was having a bad day. Or maybe he just has bad bedside manner. Regardless, it was really painful for me and he didn't seem to care or want to take my questions; he even tried to avoid any questioning after the procedure. It was all just a little weird and said its all in my head. I can admit to a normal amount of anxiety, but nothing too extreme. I had a followup with him yesterday where he said there was *no* damage done (didn't even say there *may* be damage done). I still feel a bit worried though.

ICNDonna
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Some people take longer for recovery. I usually take it easy for a week or two, but feel better within a few days. Some people have reported it taking four to six weeks so there's a lot of variation. I think if the pain from the procedure lasts longer than a few days, it's a good idea to be checked to rule out infection; if no infection, then try to take it easy for a little longer.

Warm hugs,
Donna

academy25
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Some people take longer for recovery. I usually take it easy for a week or two, but feel better within a few days. Some people have reported it taking four to six weeks so there's a lot of variation. I think if the pain from the procedure lasts longer than a few days, it's a good idea to be checked to rule out infection; if no infection, then try to take it easy for a little longer.

Warm hugs,
Donna

Thanks again, Donna. I followed up with a new Urologist today, and told him about my symptoms of irritation and the sensation that urine is in my urethra. He said those could be symptoms of stricture/scarring from the procedure. Does this seem unlikely? Especially since I started getting the symptoms just 5 days after the procedure. Is it possible that I'm just getting so worked up over this that it's causing some psychosomatic symptoms?

GodgrantsMercy
04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Try praying about it, for clarity..................if u do keep dwelling on it, because this disease will take over the mind, as it is so hard to deal with at times and it feels like you are going crazy! Pray for serenity, PEACE, it might just help as well. Take care of YOU! Lisa

tjcoch
04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
It took almost three weeks for me to feel better. We are all different on treatments and Healing. I just woke one morning and wasn't pain free but felt 75 percent better. Hang in there.

academy25
04-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the support. It is now 16 days post-cystoscopy and I'm finally beginning to feel some relief. However, I notice I am spasming my urethral area constantly (as if I were to cut off urine flow if I were urinating). Not sure if this is a result of instrumentation or stress, or caused by something else all together.