PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower or Pumpkin Seed Pate

Briza
12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
This stuff is SOOOO awesome!! Use as a dip or spread.

Use optional ingredients only if tolerated by your bladder.

Sunflower or Pumpkin Seed Pate

1 1/2 cups raw unsalted sunflower or pumpkin seeds (or a combo of the two)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
2 stalks celery, chopped
handful of fresh parsley
1/2 cup sliced leek (optional)
salt to taste (optional)
1/4 tsp white pepper (optional)

Throw everything in a blender or food processor and puree til it's as smooth as you like. It should be very thick, but add more water if needed. If using a blender you will need to stop and scrape the sides and rearrange everything throughout the process to get it thoroughly blended.

Spread on celery sticks, crackers, rice cakes, sandwiches, etc, use as a dip, or eat it straight out of the bowl.

Inspired by the nourishing meals website and agilityme ;)

agilityme
12-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Mmmmmmm......

Just got back from the store with some raw pumpkin seeds. Looking forward to using it collard wraps for lunch tomorrow :)

Pam

carole
12-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Briza I will have to try this. I am always looking for dip recipes!

Briza
12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Here's the link to the collard wraps that Pam mentioned, using the sunflower pate. They're super easy to make!

Hands down, these are the tastiest and prettiest things I've made in a while.

Note from SharonA...I removed the link because of advertising by the site, but copied the recipe for you:

1 bunch (large) collard greens

Sunflower Pate:
2 cups raw sunflower seeds, soaked for 6 to 8 hours
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup finely diced shallots
2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Herbamare or sea salt

Fillings:
1 recipe Super Green Salad
grated carrots
sprouts
sliced avocados

Cut the stems off of the bottom of each collard green. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

While the water in coming to a boil, drain and rinse the sunflower seeds in a fine mesh strainer. Place all pate ingredients into a food processor fitted with the "s" blade and pulse until desired consistency. I like mine processed until the pate is fairly smooth. Set aside.

To blanch the collard greens, dunk each one in the boiling pot of water for approximately 60 seconds. Gently remove with tongs and set on a plate to cool. Continue to do this until all of the greens are blanched.

To assemble the wrap, place a green onto a large plate or cutting board. Place a few scoops of the filling on the bottom (stem-end) of the green. Add your other filling ingredients on top. Fold the long ends in slightly (about an inch on each side) and then tightly roll. Refrigerate right away or cut in half and serve.

agilityme
12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Here's the link to the collard wraps that Pam mentioned, using the sunflower pate. They're super easy to make!

Hands down, these are the tastiest and prettiest things I've made in a while.

We had these wraps for dinner tonight. Tweeked the wraps a bit and added some cooked brown rice instead of the salad mix in the original recipe. Tweeked the pate a bit too....it was really good.

1 C Raw pumpkin seed
3 cloves roasted garlic
Sea salt to taste.

Toast the pumpkin seeds in a pan wih some sea salt then puree them in a food processor along with the roasted garlic and enough water to make it smooth.

Pam