PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have white strings in their urine???

ThisIsMe
11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Ever since my IC started I've noticed white strings in my urine.
They're not ALWAYS present (that I can see anyway) in my urine and sometimes they're longer than others and sometimes they're tinged with blood.
The other day I had one that was probably around 2" long and it was pink with blood...
I have no idea what these things are and am sure hoping you can help me figure it out. :confused:
Thanks a lot! :)

ICNDonna
11-08-2010, 07:51 AM
They could be a signal that you have an infection working. Have you been checked?

Donna

ThisIsMe
11-08-2010, 08:08 AM
They could be a signal that you have an infection working. Have you been checked?

Donna

Hi Donna and thanks for the speedy response.:)
Yes I've been checked repeatedly and nothing shows up as far as infection...
I have these strings so often, I would say daily or almost daily and have had them for so long now.
I don't know if it could even be part of my bladder lining or what in the world it could be.
Of course, as luck would have it, I've never had one in a urine sample when at the doctor's office.
I really wish I would so I could show them and ask them right then what it was.

SSaxton1989
11-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I have these sometimes too, I have no infection though, and no doctor has said there is anything wrong with my urine, so I'm not so sure what they are...

izazen
11-15-2010, 06:23 AM
I used to have tiny, little white/silvery fragments when I was really bad off about 4 years ago.

em4201
11-16-2010, 02:05 PM
It actually sounds to me like it's cervical mucus that is coming from your vagina...it can be very long and stringy during the times of the month that you are most fertile....and it's totally normal.

suzannes
11-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I had the same thing at first, my urologist said it was my bladder sloughing.

Suzanne

SSaxton1989
11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I had the same thing at first, my urologist said it was my bladder sloughing.

Suzanne

Ew! does that mean our bladders are losing tissue cause of the ulcers?

ICNDonna
11-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Don't think of it as losing tissue; it's more like "shedding" tissue, like our skin does every day.

Donna

leeangelau
11-17-2010, 03:10 AM
I have the same thing. Not always but I have to do wee tests every month anyway and I always notice them there. Urologist says they are from the Hunners ulcers but how can he really know unless he tests the floaties themselves.
I will say though after I have a hydro/cysto for a few months those bits of white coloured somethings dissapear.
It looks completely different to the cervical mucus, this is more like white floatie fine string.
Take care

SSaxton1989
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Don't think of it as losing tissue; it's more like "shedding" tissue, like our skin does every day.

Donna

Oh well, that makes sense, I suppose it is just a little scary to think that little parts of bladder are coming out of me..

Julie B
11-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I tend to think of it like getting a sunburn and then peeling. It is a way for the body to get rid of bad tissue and create new. I don't know that we have a perfect answer though.

Isn't that part of the problem? Who is going to submit to a cystoscopy when they feel ok just so a researcher can look at what is going on?

kadi
11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
When I'm having an exceptionally bad flare, but not infection, I've had like an "oil slick" film appear in my urine. "Weird." is what my doctors said. Not helpful. I wanted to ask for my copay back, but have never had the nerve, which is probably a good thing.

ReneeWest
12-13-2010, 01:40 PM
I get the "strings" too. Mine are usually short, like a centimeter, and there are plenty of them. I don't always have them. I just figured it was "one of those things!"...
Now I think I'll pay more attention to when I get them...

I don't think I ever had them before I started have severe symptoms and was diagnosed.

marar76
12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I get these little white flakes in mine as well. I also have what looks like an oil slick on top of my urine. Does this mean I have hunner's ulcers??? Am I that bad off? I haven't been diagnosed yet but am freaking that everyone who replied that gets these has ulcers!

Rachael

Linda44
12-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Ever since my IC started I've noticed white strings in my urine.
They're not ALWAYS present (that I can see anyway) in my urine and sometimes they're longer than others and sometimes they're tinged with blood.
The other day I had one that was probably around 2" long and it was pink with blood...
I have no idea what these things are and am sure hoping you can help me figure it out. :confused:
Thanks a lot! :)

If I can make an uneducated comment here. You can drive yourself nuts self diagnosing about things like this. I have self diagnosed on numerous occasions over the years and it turned out to be absolutely nothing! The internet is notorious for scaring the bejeesus out of people who look up their symptoms and then think they have something terribly wrong with them. What you are seeing is probably really normal. If you are not sure, check with a doctor. He or she will probably put your mind at rest in a few short minutes. Linda: :)

bladderpain451
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Have your doctors give you a urine cup, or do a 24 hr urine test, where you can catch it at home if it's not showing up at the doctors office, that just doesn't sound right. I had a hunner's ulcer before and it didn't do that to me. Maybe it could be discharge from a yeast infection. I don't know.

JODY23
07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I see a lot of those small white flakes in my urine.My urine was tested last week and showed no infection.Since there is no infection, I don't need to worry about these white flakes in the urine right?

JODY23
07-14-2011, 03:19 AM
I had the white flakes in my urine checked out. It turned out to be an infection.

Mothergoose
07-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I get the white flakes in my urine all the time, worse with flares or UTI, I have had it tested mine is the linning of my bladder.

You can search this it has been discussed quitea bit here.

MG

JODY23
07-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks Mothergoose.

425runner
07-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes, but I can't see them in my urine. The yellow or white flakes (depending if I've taken any B-vitamins) are on my panties. I think it's the layer shedding off but not sure. It always seems worse during a flare up.