PDA

View Full Version : sweating but then freezing? menopause?

snowgirl
05-17-2010, 12:33 PM
hoping those with menopause can help me. yes i find at night i wake up in am and my hair sweats just my hair

ok now in daytime i have been breaking out into sweats this is what confuses me after sweats then i get the chills and am freezing have to put on bathrobe

so does chills and freezing go with menopause?
insomnia - menpause can be right

waking up 500am cant sleep part of menopause too

just cant figure out the sweats then chills being menopause from what i have read.
thanks for replies vicky

ICNDonna
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Definitely could be --- but you really do need to see your doctor.

Hugs,
Donna

sailawaygrl
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Check your medication list, after having a lot of blood work done that revealed no reason for my constant sweating. Things like my hair soaking wet with very little exertion. I think mine is due to a medication. The last medication I added was Cymbalta so with my Dr's approval I am reducing the dosage to see if that helps, then possibly stopping all together the Cymbalta. Two days at half my dose and I do feel some better, I hope this works.

snowgirl
05-18-2010, 03:02 AM
yes i was telling sleep pa could it be one of my meds. i got sweating real bad with elavil but not chills. i looked it up ultram - ultram causes sweating before with me but now chills. i went 10 days no ultram then last few days one dose in am and one in pm yes ultram can cause sweating and chills almost like a w/d . i am going to try to get down to just am dose but need pm dose if i have pain. it's ultram pretty sure
i see new internal md tomorrow and get physical so will mention it to him for sure. i know as new md he will be ordering lab work. vicky

snowgirl
05-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Check your medication list, after having a lot of blood work done that revealed no reason for my constant sweating. Things like my hair soaking wet with very little exertion. I think mine is due to a medication. The last medication I added was Cymbalta so with my Dr's approval I am reducing the dosage to see if that helps, then possibly stopping all together the Cymbalta. Two days at half my dose and I do feel some better, I hope this works.

yes sweating coming side effect of ssris so cymbalta that makes sense. ultram pain med but works like ssri so i dont mind little sweating but chils i am freeezing in may ok flannel pjs on and bathrobe

mary124
05-18-2010, 04:56 AM
I have nights sweats so bad that I am soaked from head to toe. Everything is soaked bed included; have to get up and change pj; sometimes if my husband isn't in bed yet, I'll go to his side of the bed and he finds himself on the couch! Poor Man! Mine could be to start of menopause, but I'm leaning on one of my medications (which is Tamoxifen).

teachmemath
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a question about this topic too. I've been having a racing heart rate and mild sweats and chills. If this were pre menopause wouldn't I be noticing a change in my cycle or can that come later?
I'm not taking any meds right now.

snowgirl
06-23-2010, 06:16 PM
very good question. I was having heart palpitations, sweats and chills but I did not know if it was menopause , meds or anxiety can cause same symptoms
do u have anxiety? for me I am on continous bcp so I cant tell about cycles either= seeing my gyn next month

guess you should get some hormone levels drawn that would maybe answer some questions
I however would start with family md - he need to know about racing heart oh yes done a lot of reading being nurse and off work............. could be signs of thryoid too yes sweats and chills low thyroid............. go see your family md and he will get labs
dont let your heart race- check it out. good luck keep us posted

teachmemath
06-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks. I had a stress test and blood work. Everything came back ok.
Stess or hormones are the only other things I've been able to come up with.
I've started wearing a heart rate monitor so I can walk. I was running about 7 miles a week but I'm pushing it just walking now. Very frustrating.

snowgirl
06-24-2010, 04:03 AM
I kept doing sweating and then chills so cold. I had just moved it was a big and stressful move. I think for me that time it was anxiety the sweats. There are many times I think perimenopause so seeing my gyn next month

good you had labs and stress test.. So sound like you have good family md helping you.

aleet7
06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
I also have sweats with chills! My doc did full blood work and found nothing! I soak my night gown and have to get up and change. I thought it could be perimenopause but my cycle is still very regular. I also wondered is this a symptom of IC?

Aleet7

snowgirl
06-27-2010, 04:27 AM
I also have sweats with chills! My doc did full blood work and found nothing! I soak my night gown and have to get up and change. I thought it could be perimenopause but my cycle is still very regular. I also wondered is this a symptom of IC?

Aleet7

read about side effects of trazadone? those type of meds can do that. check it out webmd

sissygirl
06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
I am 45 and in perimenopause--I love the Power Surge support group/message board online and perhaps you will find it a good resource too. That and this one have taught me tons...

sailawaygrl
06-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I am still having awful problems with this and I am told it is not peri menapause. It has to be medicine. We are also having a terrible heat wave in the south so that doesn't help either. I am waking up during the night completely soaked and shivering. This is unbearable, does anyone have a solution. Today I went and got new sheets and a comforter that is supposed to be better, I hope this helps. I sleep in all cotton but nothing helps. It seems to just suddenly happen during the night. I am back up on my dose of cymbalta, I found that I couldn't make it without it. Anyone have any tips other than keeping towels and a change of pjs next to the bed???

aleet7
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
read about side effects of trazadone? those type of meds can do that. check it out webmd

I had the night sweats with chills long before I started trazadone so it was ruled out as a cause. Also I had the sweats long after I stopped taking trazodone(I only took it for sleep and it didn't work very good for me).

Aleet7

snowgirl
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
trazadone did not work for me either.

Goldfinch
06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm 62, and thankfully the days of peri-menopause are over. In my early fifties there was a two-year period when my entire body would heat up in a matter of minutes, I would sweat profusely, and then after another ten minutes I would feel the chill of the sweat drying after the hot flash had past. It was so not fun, and my medical history contraindicated any hormones or meds to relieve it, so I toughed it out.

I have had IC for almost three years now, and for the past year or so I have had episodes of "headsweats," usually brought on by extra exertion or very hot weather. The rest of my body doesn't join in, just my head. My hair gets soaked close to the scalp. I have finally traced the start of this weird side-effect back to about the time after I started taking Prozac. A little research reveals that SSRIs and SNRIs (Cymbalta) effect 9-17% of users in this way. Cymbalta seems especially to cause head and hair sweats, while many other anti-depressants cause generalized increased sweating. I am also on Elmiron, but Elmiron was working well for me with no side-effects before I started the Prozac.

All I can say is that for me, the experience of menopausal related sweating was very different from this head-sweating; it was like my core temperature shot up a few degrees and my whole body responded. Drinking ice-water helped hot flashes a lot. It does nothing for this wet-head problem. So yeah, I think the Prozac is messing with my head! But seriously, it has helped me a great deal, so I will put up with the hothead thing.

Talk to your doctors.

aleet7
06-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Trazadone was one of the many meds I tried as a sleepaid. Right now I'm not taking anything and taking neurontin at night for my most recent physical challenges. I haven't had the sweats and chill thing in a while, I guess God knew I couldn't handle the IC flares, insomnia and near fainting episodes and night sweats and chills all at the same time!:-)

sailawaygrl
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Goldfinch,
Thank you for the clarification from someone that has "been there". I know what you mean about the head sweats. I hate it when my hair gets soaking wet. I have never had this problem and can't stand it now. I will deal with it though, since the meds seem to be working otherwise. Lucky us to be in the percentile that has this problem. I think my pain meds might be contributing as well. Do you ever get the sudden soaked sweat during the night? Does that sound like menapause?

jen48446
09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I used to get that way every month in my senior year of high school, I was scared I wasn't gonna be able to graduate because I missed time every month because of it.

Mine was definitely hormone imbalance related it took me 20 years & many years of researching online & reading books to find the answers I was looking for.

If you haven't already, get the book, Screaming to be heard by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet, it is full of alot of information I learned alot from that book!

There is hope! :angel::smile tee:cat:

aleet7
09-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Jen,
thank you! I will get that book!

Best Wishes!
Aleet7

chainsaw
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Yep! Sounds like it to me. Sounds like what I deal with.
Kim Hall

ChrisNes
09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Hey All : )
How do I know if I am in menopause? I had a TAH 10 years ago, I kept my Oves. My doctor asks me every time if I have any symptoms and I say IDK. Every time I flair from my IC I heat up and sweat. The pain doctor told me that it is a normal physical reaction when the body sweats when it is in pain. OK, so I have been having these sweating pain flairs since 1997 and that is when my having to go pee 3 times a night started. I had a hysterectomy when I was 36 or 37 it was 2002 and at the same time the doctor did a hydro and found that I have IC with pinpoint bleeding, scaring, and hunners ulcers. So how do I know if I am in menopause? I will be 47 in November. My doctor tells me there is no True blood test to say that you are in menopause she says hormones flux all the time . I wake up drenched in sweat every time my bladder fills and that is about 3 times a night. I find that if I have a low cut shirt on and to have an extra pillow to use when mine is drenched with sweat.