PDA

View Full Version : Only urethral pain, no bladder pain. Still IC?

Tess86
02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Is there anyone who has been diagnosed with IC that only has pain in their urethra and not their bladder? I'm just really confused because my pain soley exist in my urethra. I feel like my urgency and frequency are caused my the discomfort in my urethra. The more it hurts, the more I go to the bathroom. On the otherhand, I have no bladder pain whatsoever. Anybody else have this experience? Can you have IC with just urethral pain? :hmm:

nottoc4
02-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Before diagnosis the only symptoms I had were frequency,pinching of the Urethra, and a feeling of pressure from the bladder. I was put on Various OAB meds and none helped. I was also getting many UTI's.I was finally diagnosed by process of elimination(many test of Urinary Area and the Potassium Sensitivity test.) There is no doubt in my mind that I do have IC.

Have you been diagnosed yet by a Doctor?

shortstuff
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
My current diagnosis is urethral sydrome, which is apprently kind of a cousin of IC, but the pain is in the urethra. In my case it's specifically at the bladder neck or where the bladder meets the urethra at the sphincter. I actually showed inflammation on my last cystoscopy at that place and an instillation that should have made me feel better if the pain was coming from my bladder did not help at all.

So I suppose you could have IC or urethral syndrome or you could also have another problem that has similar symptoms to both of these like pelvic floor dysfunction or an inflammation of the Skene's glands (although I'm really not sure how common this kind of thing is). Your best bet is to see a urologist who can start the ball rolling and find some answers (and relief) for you!

Tess86
02-17-2010, 07:19 AM
When I when to the urologist when I first started having symptoms, he did a cystoscopy and told me that I don't have IC, and nothing looks inflammed. He basically said it was in my head. I know that there's something wrong though. I can't really see another urologist or the one I've been seeing because of financial and insurance reasons. I will have to wait.

I have no idea what is wrong so all I can do is try to figure it out myself. But is it possible that the skin lining the the inside of the urethra can be thin, sore and irritated like an IC bladder?

Does anyone know the prognosis of Urethral syndrome? Is it as bad as IC?

I'm just SO confused about what is "officially" wrong with me. I guess some of us will never know.

lovelee
02-17-2010, 09:46 AM
The latest book I read on bladder problems said that urethral syndrome can go away on it's own and doctors don't know why... I'm hoping for such a remission. If not, I'd be interested in trying urethral dilation which I've heard about.

shortstuff
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
My understanding is that, yes, the lining of the urethra can have issues similar to what is going on in an IC bladder because both are lined with the same type of tissue. Dr. Moldwin basically explained urethral syndrome as kind of a "cousin" of IC.

From my last conversation with him I don't think there is any reason to expect it to get worse. That's a good thing. However, some of the treatments that work for IC don't work for me like the instillations. I'm still in the learning process to figure out which meds, if any, help. I've spent the last 2 months slowly trying to do better with the IC diet. I quit all caffeine but I'm having a hard time giving up an occassional glass of wine or two and beer.

If you have any other questions I can help you with just message me.

What book about bladder problems said urethral syndrome can go away? It would be great for me to mention to Dr. M at my next appointment and see what his experience is with remissions!

lovelee
02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I believe the book I read that in was "A Headache in the Pelvis". The first chapters discuss the many different types of problems men and women suffer from in the pelvic area (including IC and urethral syndrome). (www.pelvicpainhelp.com/treatment.php)

I've also read that urethra pain can be caused by an allergy to progesterone in our bodies. But even if that is the case, I'm not sure how it can be fixed!

nottoc4
02-18-2010, 01:41 AM
The tissues of the Urethra are dependant on Estrogen,just like the vagina.
Not knowing your age it's hard for me to recommenr Estrogen Cream but that really helped my Urethra.I am 67 years old and I had severe vaginal atrophy.
Hope you find something that helps you. Jo

Tess86
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I would be very interested in what Dr. M has to say about recovering from urethral syndrome, Shortstuff, be sure to keep us updated.

From what I am gleaning is that urethral syndrome may have a better prognosis than IC, which makes me hopeful. And it's true that I hear more about urethral syndrome going away than IC.

Nottoc- I'm only 23 so I'm not sure if it could be an estrogen problem or not.

I've read some of "A Headache in the Pelvis" at a book store and I thought it was quite good. It further convinced me that I need to try physical therapy.