PDA

View Full Version : Onions and garlic?

shortstuff
02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Are onions OK or not? I looked at the diet and it said "raw bulb onions" under proceed with caution. What about plain white or yellow onions? How about garlic?

Thanks!

kadi
02-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Many IC patients are ok with cooked white onions.
Many IC patients are ok with garlic as well.
I'm ok with garlic, but onions send me into a total flare. You might try a small amount of just one first to see if it's ok for you.

jenjen05
02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Onions and garlic are both huge flare triggers for me.

shortstuff
02-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks! I'm wondering if onions are doing me in, even cooked. Yesterday I had potato leek soup - it was fresh ingredients from whole foods so simply leeks, onion, garlic and potato. Also with 2 cans of beef broth. I supposed the canned broth could also be the culprit. Unfortunately it tastes so good I ate it again today.

I also had hummus. Does that tend to be a problem?

carole
02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks! I'm wondering if onions are doing me in, even cooked. Yesterday I had potato leek soup - it was fresh ingredients from whole foods so simply leeks, onion, garlic and potato. Also with 2 cans of beef broth. I supposed the canned broth could also be the culprit. Unfortunately it tastes so good I ate it again today.

I also had hummus. Does that tend to be a problem?

Hummus usually has lemon in it so if your did that would be a problem.

As for onions I do ok with cooked but raw makes me flare. I have not tried raw garlic but I can eat cooked and powdered.

ICNDonna
02-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I do okay with leeks and a small amount of cooked sweet onions. If you're not sure, I suggest you not eat any for a while, then try a very small amount.

Garlic is a problem for me.

Donna

MiLynn
02-10-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't have any problems with cooked onion (I usually buy the sweet ones) or cooked garlic. Since my IC diagnosis, I haven't tried onions raw.

CherylSLP
02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Garlic is fine with me. Onions are not but they seem to bother my intestinal area which then bothers the IC. Try a small amount and see. We are all different.

ICtampa
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
garlic doesn't bother me at all. I'm not a fan of onions so I just cut them out as a precaution :)

wnichols
02-16-2010, 06:40 AM
I haven't noticed an issue with garlic, but onions I know I shouldn't eat at least in any quantity, especially raw ones. cooked seem to be ok but only with other food and in small amounts. but perhaps its all just wishful thinking.