PDA

View Full Version : Acidophilus for yeast infection prevention

needsrelief
02-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Hello, I was told to buy acidophilus pills by a doctor as a daily supplement to prevent yeast infections because they have "friendly bacteria" inside of them just like yogurt. I was told to buy the ones with "live cultures" they have to be refrigerated. I bought some the other day. they have 100 million live cultures in each capsules. but then the same brand has one thats a little bit more expensive that has 3billion live cultures inside of them. I was hoping that 100million live cultures would do, and my money wasnt wasted. sick and tired of yeast infections and BV and looking not to have any more this year. anyone ever use these? btw I have a yeast infection right now and BV :cussing:

ICNDonna
02-07-2010, 03:16 AM
I hope it will help.

Donna

leelee88
02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes I take them daily and they do help!

AthenasMommy
02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi there,

I used to get yeast or yeast like symptoms all the time. I have had great success with CULTURELLE (probiotic) that you can find at any CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Wal Mart, etc. It's in a yellow box. They have a very high dose of active cells.

Yeast is the worst and I constantly wonder what is worse to deal with.... yeast or IC. They are both of the devil so I don't know!!! :evilsmile

Good luck!

bluetou
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM
I think you will do well with the acidophilus you bought. Also if you buy
BIO-K yogurt at your grocery store and take 1/2 of one a day this will help clear up your yeast infection.

Also your local health food store should have vaginal suppositories that are all natural that also help with yeast infections (you find these in the fridge section next to the acidophilus).

I was flooded with yeast...flooded...I went on the candida cleanse, and did the above. I also used oil of oregeno drops to help kill bacteria in the body. BUT CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR on this because I HAVE no idea what meds you are on...I take no meds my treatments for IC and yeast have my BV were all natural treatments. SOME people react to the oil of oregeno, for me it helped...do a search on the IC network to see....there is lots on there about oil of oregeno.

I also have to use condoms when my husband and I have sex because I react to his sperm....etc..

HOpe this helps
Peace
Blue
:pray:

Hello, I was told to buy acidophilus pills by a doctor as a daily supplement to prevent yeast infections because they have "friendly bacteria" inside of them just like yogurt. I was told to buy the ones with "live cultures" they have to be refrigerated. I bought some the other day. they have 100 million live cultures in each capsules. but then the same brand has one thats a little bit more expensive that has 3billion live cultures inside of them. I was hoping that 100million live cultures would do, and my money wasnt wasted. sick and tired of yeast infections and BV and looking not to have any more this year. anyone ever use these? btw I have a yeast infection right now and BV :cussing:

CherylSLP
02-17-2010, 01:35 AM
My Dr. said go for the middle price range, which is probably what you have as there are no low price range refrigerated ones. He said the higher price range ones don't make too much difference. But you want one with not just acidophilus but also bifidobacterium.

Angeles
03-08-2010, 09:53 AM
I think you will do well with the acidophilus you bought. Also if you buy
BIO-K yogurt at your grocery store and take 1/2 of one a day this will help clear up your yeast infection.

Also your local health food store should have vaginal suppositories that are all natural that also help with yeast infections (you find these in the fridge section next to the acidophilus).

I was flooded with yeast...flooded...I went on the candida cleanse, and did the above. I also used oil of oregeno drops to help kill bacteria in the body. BUT CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR on this because I HAVE no idea what meds you are on...I take no meds my treatments for IC and yeast have my BV were all natural treatments. SOME people react to the oil of oregeno, for me it helped...do a search on the IC network to see....there is lots on there about oil of oregeno.

I also have to use condoms when my husband and I have sex because I react to his sperm....etc..

HOpe this helps
Peace
Blue

Hi Blue,
The oil of oregano you applied topically or you took the pills? I imagine that you took it orally. In regards to the suppositories, can you please tell which ones you are referring to? Please please.
I see The boric acid ones at whole foods, the ones made by Vitanica but apparently they have changed their formula and the new ones do not help according to alsmost all reviews of the product online. teh other suppositoy I know is Candaclear, I never tried it but the FDA discontinue it.
There;s a last one which is made by Yeast Guard and has some acidophilus, they have some homeopatic stuff for yeast but I have not seem snayone comment on these prodcuts and they are sold in CVS and online.

bluetou
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
:pray:HI there, the oil of oregeno is taken orally, a few drops in water and drink it down. (again I did not flare from this....so go slowly with maybe one drop to start, and work your way up). I researched the ic network when I started the oil of oregeno and noticed that many people tolerated it without any issue. THE GRAPESEED extract on the other hand some tolerated and some could not....I COULD NOT...I flared from the grapeseed extract)....so it is all personal ....we all react differently.

The bio K yogurt is great for providing the good bacteria.

I have never taken boric acid....I have taken the vaginal suppositories for yeast, and they have worked. I am sorry I do not remember the name....as I do not have any on hand. BUT my doctor has suggested to even use an acidopholis pill (open the capsule up) and insert the powder inside.....it is the same.

...what else...that is all I can remember for now....if you go back and do a search under my user name...you may find more ideas with reference to yeast, as I battled with it, and am now free.

I must also share with you...one of the culprits is my husband's sperm. We now have to use a condom. His sperm would change the flora of my vaginal area each time we would have intercourse, and I would be plauged with yeast every time we would have intercourse....now that we use a condom, I have not had a yeast infection. We even tried having sex to test this theory out...and whammo I broke out into yeast the next day.....THE GYNO told me that it is very common for this to happen.

Peace
Blue

sailawaygrl
03-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Needsrelief,
I assume the BV stands for bacterial vaginosis? If so, I am confused as I thought that bacterial vaginosis was basically the opposite of a yeast infection. That is the way I understood things when I spent an entire year trying to get rid of an infection. Everything I tried would work for a bit and then the infection would come right back. Luckily for us, we finally determined the same thing that Blue and her husband did and now use a condom everytime we have sex. I haven't had a problem since and that was over five years ago. We don't mind, even though it is a bit of "overkill" as he has a vasectomy, I am on BC and we use a condom. If we get pregnant it is definately "immaculate conception"!! If you find that the condom trick works for you be sure to use a very thin one with lots of lubricant, also some of them really do "increase her pleasure". Ok TMI I know but we are here to help each other!!

If anyone can clear up the BV and yeast question for me, I would appreciate it, I am also going to do a search at Mayo or Webmd, my medical helplines!

Good luck. I hope you find relief soon.

Sandra

Angeles
03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Bluetou,
thank you for your kind reply. yes, sperm has a PH os about 7 and th evaginal PH should be 4 or 4.5. A high PH causes problems, like bacteria or yeast overgrowth bc the PH acid base balance is disturbed.
I have a Big question here, do/did you always get a positive culture when you have yeast???
I don't get a positive culture so the doctor tells me it is not yeast but I know it is!
Discharge = burning, itchiness, pain. No discharge = I feel great.

bluetou
03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Ah-Ha! great question!! would you believe my culture would come back negative! but the gyno could see the red/rawness, and sometimes there was a discharge and then there were times there was no discharge. This plagued me for almost a year before she decided to treat it as yeast...she said sometimes we may have yeast but it may not show up on the culture...so she placed me on DIFLUCIN for 16 weeks (yes that is right 16) weeks! I also took all yeast foods out of my diet and went on the candida cleanse, along with the "above mentioned" stuff that I did (oil of oregeno...etc).

I then started to see results (at the end of about a month of my treatment).

I will admit...my GYNO had no clue in the beginning (and she was amazing and very smart)....she then said...."well you know....I am going to place you on a round of diflucin, lets see what happens". SHe said that she has only had a few women who have had yeast, but their culture would come back negative...so she said "lets give it a try and treat it as yeast"....that is what she did.

I also went to a naturopath, and it was her who told me about yeast....so I kept mentioning it to my gyno.

Is your toungue white when you get up in the morning. Before you brush your teeth stick your toungue out and look at it...if there is a white film on it gaurenteed you have yeast.

Also there is a spit test for yeast....if you spit in a cup and observe what it does. If it grows into spider like legs...etc...you have yeast. DO A GOOGLE search on the interent and it will explain the "YEAST SPIT TEST".

I feel your concern and frustration ...go to your doctor and tell him to "enligthen you.....just ask him to treat you for yeast".....see if your symptoms clear.....if they do not....well at least you tried. BUT he should at least try this for you.

((HUGS)) hang in there. Do contine back to your doctor and request this, it is your body, your life, your well being. We need to be our own advocate in our health. It is not like you are asking a lot from him.

I know personally I would not be pain free today if it were not for my continuous persistence to be well and request for tests.

((HUGS))
Peace
Blue

Bluetou,
thank you for your kind reply. yes, sperm has a PH os about 7 and th evaginal PH should be 4 or 4.5. A high PH causes problems, like bacteria or yeast overgrowth bc the PH acid base balance is disturbed. I don't use condoms but when I have sex bc al of them irritate me, but no sperm is allowed, well TMI again :)

I have a Big question here, do/did you always get a positive culture when you have yeast???
I don't get a positive culture so the doctor tells me it is not yeast but I know it is!
Discharge = burning, itchiness, pain. No discharge = I feel great.

Angeles
03-09-2010, 01:46 AM
16 weeks on a daily diflucan? ...that's good and I'm glad it did the work!
Thank God for a gyno like yours who has an open mind and listens.

I know there are many V V patients that are not being treated for yeast bc it doesn't show in cultures and the symptoms just get worse and worse and them you read adn here: "No body really knows what causes vulvodynia, or no one know what causes vulvar vestibulitis" "The cause is unknown" blah blah.:loco: To me the cause is pretty clear and yeast plays a BIG role in the majority of cases.

I'm on a low carb diet now. It is not a very strict yeast diet but I'm not letting my glycemic index go up. I'm not diabetic so my body can handle it and maintain a normal glucose level in the blood. I don't binge on sugar and I eat very healthy. Unfortunately, we can't eleiminate all the sugar in the blood unless we die :)

Thank you so much blue, you have been very helpful and caring. God bless:pray:

bluetou
03-09-2010, 02:07 AM
:angel: I am glad I could be helpful. I know how frustrating it can be. ((HUGS))
I just wanted to mention that the diflucin treatment she gave me was weekly. I took one pill once a week for 16 weeks.
I was also a huge peanut butter eater...I had to give that up, because it is a mouldy food...I gave up mushrooms...etc...all those foods that are triggers to yeast.
I think your doing all the right things by lowering your sugar intake, yeast thrives on sugar.
I also agree with you, when my yeast was flaring, my vulvodynia was flaring, it was not pretty. Also my IC was not happy when MY YEAST was flaring...once I got my yeast under control, everything else calmed down. It is amazing how things can be a domino effect in the body.
Hope all goes well, keep me updated on how things go.

Peace
Blue

16 weeks on a daily diflucan? ...that's good and I'm glad it did the work!
Thank God for a gyno like yours who has an open mind and listens.

I know there are many V V patients that are not being treated for yeast bc it doesn't show in cultures and the symptoms just get worse and worse and them you read adn here: "No body really knows what causes vulvodynia, or no one know what causes vulvar vestibulitis" "The cause is unknown" blah blah.:loco: To me the cause is pretty clear and yeast plays a BIG role in the majority of cases.

I'm on a low carb diet now. It is not a very strict yeast diet but I'm not letting my glycemic index go up. I'm not diabetic so my body can handle it and maintain a normal glucose level in the blood. I don't binge on sugar and I eat very healthy. Unfortunately, we can't eleiminate all the sugar in the blood unless we die :)

Thank you so much blue, you have been very helpful and caring. God bless:pray:

an0bgobeloba
03-09-2010, 08:03 AM
you might want to look into femdophilis. i was was on it for a while...i only switched to find a probiotic that was more ibs specific. i keep a bottle on hand in the fridge still so that when i can feel a problem starting i insert one or two vaginally right before bed! works like a charm! :) good luck!!!

Angeles
03-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I went to my doctor and she insists it is not yeast bc it doesn't culture and it is my vv skin thta it is irritated and reacting to the discharge so wants me to use clobetasol for the inflamtion. Fine. But what is causing all the instense itchiness I have and it doesn't even let me sleep at night? she said I probbably HAD a yeast infection when I took antibiotics 3 months ago but now theres' no infection. So no tretament for yeast. I'm beyond frustrated. I have some diflucan at home that I could probbably take but I don't want to do things without my doctor's approval.
If it wans't bc of the itchines I would buy the theory that it is just vv acting up. But the itchiness is pretty bad.
She refered me to an allergist and a dermatologist but i can only get an appoitment for May.

I will use soe Femdophilus vaginally, I used it in the past. I don't know what else to do.....:help:

Angeles
03-17-2010, 04:03 AM
ok so the itchiness, burning and redness where unbearable so I ended up taking diflucan and still taking it. As much as I DON'T want to take it bc I know how harsh that drug is. Interesting outcome: The itchiness is totally gone, the discharge too, but I remain with the soreness...so go figure.

My conlusion is that not all yeast infections culture positive. Many women remain untreated bc of that and would that be perhaps one of the causes of Vulvar skin damage = vulvodinya??? Just brainstorming here as it is already confusing enough.

The fact that some yeast infections do not culture, this has told me my Infectious diseases gynecologist a long time ago. It is hard to find an infectious diseases gynecologist, but I had a very good one when I lived in texas. He could spot a yeast infection from a block away. he deals with HIV patients too. I don't have HIV but I'm a little anemic and my immunne system is weak compared to the avergare person...

LoriAnn
03-25-2010, 05:57 PM
To keep yeast away I use Boric Acid suppositories--- they really work and have given me my life back

Angeles
03-26-2010, 03:30 AM
how often do you use boric acid, how many miligrams per capsule?

redhead43234
03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I have used boric acid too. You have to buy the boric acid (found in old fashioned pharmacies or online) and empty capsules size 00 (you buy them at the health room store) and put them together yourself. The recipe calls for 600 mg but I just scoop the powder into the capsules, it is not that hard. You insert one into your va-jay each night for 2 weeks. There will be some clear discharge so wear a pad, and there can be some irritation to the vulva tissues so I apply some A&D as a protection when I insert the capsule. WebMD has a link about it: http://women.webmd.com/tc/vaginal-yeast-infections-other-treatment

This treatment has helped me and many other women. The boric acid helps keep the ph of the va-jay normal. I hope it helps you too!

lonen86
03-27-2010, 06:28 AM
I did suffered from yeast infections all my life. I read an article about vitamin D and how it prevents yeast infections ,I started with 2000 iu a year a go and I haven't had an infection again . I tried the probiotics but i kept forgeting about them because they have to be refrigerated and just forgot. Good luck and I hope you can find some relief :hi: