PDA

View Full Version : Don't use bladder control pads

QueenJutea
03-01-2004, 04:43 AM
My problems started when I began using bladder control pads. They are toxic. They contain a blue strip in the middle that is used for odor control. I feel these pads contain a drying agent that causes the bladder to atrophy. If any of you ladies are using these products stop now.
I use unscented sanitary napkins for bladder leakage. I am almost symptom free now and I eat anything I want. I feel that there is residual damage done from the pads so I don't know if my bladder will ever totally recover. I feel that alot of IC cases are caused by an outside toxin that we are exposing ourselves to. Be aware of what you are use on or around your bladder area.
Think about what medications your taking. Could they have a drying effect on the bladder. You have to be a detective and analyze everything you are doing that might effect you bladder. I don't take any medication and I didn't subject myself to painful expensive tests. Don't use anything but unscented soap (I use Dove). Don't use sprays, powders or perfumes on the bladder area.
Change sanitary napkins often to keep area dry.

My IC pain was awful and the bladder spasms and ugency was something I never had experienced before. I hope everyone recovers that suffers from this. It dominated my every thought and I cried many times.

I hope this information can help someone.

Judy

tigger_gal
03-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Judy,
You said that you have not subjected your self to painful test so I am assuming that your not sure yet you have IC. You came to the right place to learn more.
No one knows what causes IC and we all respond differently to medications and the diet.
IC is not caused because your bladder is drying it out, IC is where your bladder has actually shrunk in most cases and the gaglayer around your bladder is no longer or possibly never has had elasticity..
I never used scented pads ans what nots.. I don't think its any thing we have done or used to end up with this horrible disease.
Brat

jaime15
03-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Judy,
I'm glad you're symptom free right now!!
Yay for you. :)
Keep us updated on how you and the IC are doing..Pain is a terrible thing for some IC patients and if whatever you're doing works and keeps you from that feeling, then keep up the good work!
Hugs! grouphug

tillysav
03-01-2004, 06:40 AM
hi Judy,

I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions :rolleyes: .

When you say you have not subjected yourself to painful test, do you mean you have not had a Cystostomy or Hydrodistension (sp?) or what about a potassium test? I thought these were the test used to diagnose IC. How did you know you had IC? And, what does "almost symtem free" mean?

My Uro's were not sure I had "IC" until after these tests. After tests..."IC" was confirmed.

Glad you are feeling better :) .

Please reply, Thanks Tilly

Dixiefireball
03-01-2004, 09:54 AM
i'm with the other gal's here have you not had any of those test done to see if you have ic for sure.
those test are painful.
i'm glad you are pain free we all hope and wish daily for that. hugs sent to you. and good luck. grouphug

Zanni2
03-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I find what you say about bladder control pads very interesting. Do "Always" pads fall under that category? I've been wearing those for years! What brand of sanitary napkins do you use? I just use "Always" for sanitary purposes, but if these pads could be an IC trigger, I definitely would like to know what kind you use and give them a shot!

Thanks for the info!

Zanni2 angel

ICNDonna
03-02-2004, 02:12 AM
I do have a question --- you said your problem started when you began using the pads --- I have to wonder why you used them?

Always pads are usually used for menstrual flow and not for bladder leakage. If you are using unscented ones, you should be fine with them. It's what I used following surgery and I use them on DMSO days.

Donna

khouse
03-02-2004, 06:36 AM
Donna,
I'm so glad you asked that question, I was wondering the same thing myself. I am certain that my ic was not caused from wearing any kind of pads, i did not have leakage before ic and therefore had no need to wear pads, I haven't had a period in over 16 years and so pads weren't needed in that respect. We certainly do not need to used scented lotions, soaps etc... but these products do not cause ic but can certainly make it worse. Also, I a wondering what you mean by symptom free and one last thing, how were you diagnosed without and tests? So glad that you are better, hoping the same for all of us!
Kim

Dixiefireball
03-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm truely sorry but i don't really understand this either can you please tell us more about your ic like how was you dx? normally there is pain involed and i believe that would be 98% of us who has the ic pain.
what medicineing do you take for your ic if that isn't to personal of a question i would like to know more about this.
How do you handle your ic do you do it by diet alone? or do you even have to follow your diet? I'm Very a glad to see another ic pat in remission i love to hear there ic storys about remissions even if they are only short ones. please share more with us. sending you prayers and hugs and Oh thanks for the warning about the pads, but i still wonder why you was using them if you wasnt leaking or maybe i just misread something i'm taking my perocets and nerve pills and a lexapo so maybe i didn't read it clearly tonight i did how ever reread it.
sending you hugs prayers and good wishes
Rhonda.

Mimi-in-Chicagoland
03-28-2004, 11:04 AM
The bladder control pads I have used do not contain any "blue strips" or toxic substances. They're just designed to hold liquid better. I didn't use them until well after I was diagnosed with IC. I would NOT embarrass myself by buying bladder products in the store unless I needed them. I'm 26. I didn't have bladder problems because of childbirth or age. I'm glad that the OP had a miraculous healing of her symptoms by changing her brand of pads. I wish it were that easy for the rest of us. I think the OP doesn't have any idea what IC really is.

valleygal
03-28-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm kind of lost here!Were you diagnosed with ic?I don't use any pads and haven't for years,and my tests to be diagnosed were painful!But I was definatley diagnosed!Another food for thought,men get ic too and so do small children,neither wwhere pads.So please let us all know if we are missing something here!Hope everyone else in here is having a good day!:confused: ColeenSunshine

ICchell
03-28-2004, 10:02 PM
You say Bladder control pads are toxic??!!!
Where did you come up with that one:rolleyes: