View Full Version : Cold Medicines
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
My husband shared his cold with me over the holiday. I have done pretty well up until the last couple of days. Today it has gone to my chest and I have a tickle in my throat. Can I take over the counter cold meds. with out causing a flare? I have sinus presssure and am affraid of it turning into a sinus infection. I have gone off my nasal spray for awhile until I get thing under control diet wise so I don't have to many chemicals coming into my system.
Any ideas would be welcomed.
Here are a few of my favorite (for me, IC friendly) cold home remedies...
1. Hot showers with a "Sudacare Shower Soother" on the floor (fizzy tablet that releases Vicks type vapors when the hot water hits it)
2. Rinsing nose out with "Simply Saline"-reduces congestion
3. Vicks "Baby Rub"- milder than regular Vicks & more soothing
4. BreatheRight nasal strips (stick on to outside of your nose to open it up more)
5. Hot pear juice with a little honey
6. For sore throat & to soothe dry cough, Werthers Original hard candy
7. Gargle with salt water
8. Homemade chicken soup
9. Mucinex for chest coughs (check with the pharmacist on taking this with your other meds)
10. Ludens Licorice Throat Drops or Ricola original (not citrus!) drops.
11. Vaporizer next to bed, mine has a place to put menthol liquid in it.
12. Theraflu vapor patch: Like a sticker with Vicks vapors in it that you stick to your pj top. No gooey Vicks all over your chest!
For the cold I had last week, I used 4Way Fast Acting Nasal Spray. I think it was ok for me. If you've not used this medicine before, you might start out with the lowest concentration one (0.5%).
I hope you feel better soon!
01-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Thank you for the advise. I will try several of these today.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.