PDA

View Full Version : Soy Products

GWO
10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
I did a search on the forums and wasn't able to find what it is about soy products that irritate the bladder. Seems like almost everything in the stores has some type of soy product listed in the ingredients.

Lillian
10-21-2009, 03:53 AM
I've had the same question. I know we are not supposed to have soy sauce but what about hydrogenated soy, soy lecithin, soy bean oil, soy protein concentrate etc.? You're right, GWO. These are found in so many ingredients.

I've also been thinking about taking Fish Oil Omega 3 tablets. Costco brand, Kirkland, has soy as one of the ingredients. Would that be a problem?
Detrol brand Fish Oil Omega 3 has natural lemon oil. What about lemon in that form?

Lillian

77amy
10-21-2009, 03:56 AM
I've had the same question. I know we are not supposed to have soy sauce but what about hydrogenated soy, soy lecithin, soy bean oil, soy protein concentrate etc.? You're right, GWO. These are found in so many ingredients.

I've also been thinking about taking Fish Oil Omega 3 tablets. Costco brand, Kirkland, has soy as one of the ingredients. Would that be a problem?
Detrol brand Fish Oil Omega 3 has natural lemon oil. What about lemon in that form?

Lillian

I think the problem with soy sauce is that it is fermented. But I am not sure. I never had problems with any other soy product (but that could be just me).

baaaby11
10-21-2009, 04:17 AM
A lot of people with IC have problems with soy. I'm not exactly sure why. I guess just because it's an irritant. I know that soy sauce is really strong because it's fermentented so that could probably be the reason it is irritating to a sensitive bladder.

Personally, I have noticed that I can eat tofu without many problems. I also eat soy sauce in smaller amounts. A lot of people with IC cannot tolerate soy, though.

Mothergoose
10-21-2009, 04:31 AM
My son and I are allergic to soy so the no soy thing is not new to me. Yes most store bought things have soy in them, but I have found that alot of the no name products don't have soy.

I too think that the problem with soy is because it is fermented, but I don't know that for sure.

It would depend on how sensative you are to soy, to know if it is a product that would bother you. It is a trial and error sort of thing.

All the forms of soy you mentioned are still soy. Shortening says it is all veg product but they don't say it has soy in it sometimes and I have found it does. Also I read somewhere that ingredence are ussally written in the label in order of quantity, so you maybe able to eat it if it is the last item on the list.

Also when it says may contain ..... it means that the machine to make the product is also used to make a product that has soy in it, and may not have all the soy cleaned out of the machine before making the other product. So they have not put soy in the product but will not guarentee it does not have soy in it. I find we ussally can eat these, but our allergies to soy are not really bad.

Good luck to you read labels, all the different brands you may get lucky and fine one without soy.

My biggest petpeeve is going to the store without my reading glasses.

MG

GWO
10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm new to all of this and being a guy with a high matabalizium I eat 3,000 plus calories per day. Also I work night shifts so this very restrictive diet has not been easy.

Many people talk about trying something to see if it's a problem food or not, my question is how long from when you eat the ingredient in question until you know if it's a problem. If I had pancakes with soy in them would my bladder act up within a couple of hours or would it take several hours?

baaaby11
10-21-2009, 05:38 AM
I wish I could give you a clear answer to your question but the truth is, it depends. It depends on what you have consumed and it's different for each person. If you do a search for a question similar to the one you're asking, you'll see that it widely varies from person to person. Some people can feel it as early as 30 minutes while others feel it a day or two later.
It's helpful to keep a food journal. I know it's sort of a hassle but if you write down what you eat and when you eat it and then write down how you're feeling throughout the day, you can often start to make connections to symptoms and certain foods.

What foods are you having the hardest time finding soy-free brands?

Landish
10-21-2009, 06:07 AM

Hi Lillian,

I take Cod Liver Oil from Spring Valley brand with no soy in it. The ingredientes are gelatin, glycerin and water.

Good luck

GWO
10-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Some folks say it's a blessing but I say it's a curse that I have to consume so many calories per day just to maintain my already lean build. I've already lost a couple of pounds with this new diet and will just have to look harder at the stores for no soy products. It's a little ironic I spent an hour in the health food store yesterday trying to find no soy products and came out almost empty handed.

After reading Lillian's post I check my Costco fish oil pills and sure enough soy :bonk:

Lillian
10-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Landish,

Where can you buy Spring Valley Cod Liver Oil pills? I just called GNC and they don't carry it.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Lillian

77amy
10-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Some folks say it's a blessing but I say it's a curse that I have to consume so many calories per day just to maintain my already lean build. I've already lost a couple of pounds with this new diet and will just have to look harder at the stores for no soy products. It's a little ironic I spent an hour in the health food store yesterday trying to find no soy products and came out almost empty handed.

After reading Lillian's post I check my Costco fish oil pills and sure enough soy :bonk:

I take 'fish, flax, borage' for heart health. The "Nature's Bounty" brand that they sell at Walgreens. It does contain soy oil, but I have never had a problem with it. I lowered my LDL 18 points in 6 months. yay!

On a side note, if you have never taken fish oil pills... do not take on an empty stomach. For some people this can cause indigestion, and makes your breath smell fishy. Not a problem if you take them with meals though.

Landish
10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Landish,

Where can you buy Spring Valley Cod Liver Oil pills? I just called GNC and they don't carry it.

I buy it in Walmart but a few days ago I saw other brand of Cod liver oil in CVS and Walgreens pharmacy that also didnít have soy in it.

Goldfinch
10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I take 'fish, flax, borage' for heart health. The "Nature's Bounty" brand that they sell at Walgreens. It does contain soy oil, but I have never had a problem with it. I lowered my LDL 18 points in 6 months. yay!

On a side note, if you have never taken fish oil pills... do not take on an empty stomach. For some people this can cause indigestion, and makes your breath smell fishy. Not a problem if you take them with meals though.

I take flax seed capsules to get Omega 3s but I know that Fish oil is a better source. I've tried a couple of different types but I just gag on that fishy taste and then it repeats on me if I manage to choke it down. My brother just recently said I should try Fisol, since he thinks the coating on the pills really mitigates the fishiness better than other types. I haven't tried to find it yet. Anyone take Fisol?