PDA

View Full Version : breast mri contrast

ellienor
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I have to have a breast mri, so I will need to take the contrast
Gadolinium.
Will this irritate the bladder?

I am going to hydrate like crazy before hand.
Thanks for any info.
ellie

dg2901
07-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I've had that contrast w/o any issues.

ellienor
07-30-2009, 02:51 AM
oh good.
did you have it for your breasts?
Did you feel it when it went in at all?
Did you get sick feeling?
Were you hydrated when you went in?

Is the mri comfortable?
I have trouble laying on my stomach and my neck hurts when I put
it to the side.
Thanks

dg2901
07-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I had it for a CT scan; on top of having to drink the nasty barium..oy vey!

I felt a warm sensation when it was injected, along with a strange sensation of feeling like I had urinated; the tech warned me of this so I wouldnt be alarmed. The warm feeling passed quickly; it also caused a metallic taste in the mouth that lingered for a little while.
I was queazy from the barium; the IV contrast didnt cause a sick feeling. I was only allowed the barium the day of the test so if this is considered hydrated then yes I was. I didnt feel dehydrated, if that helps you any.

I have had 2 head/brain MRI's in the past. I'm extremely claustrophobic so I had to use conscious sedation. The enclosed MRI machines are a very tight fit..haha...so be prepared. There are newer machines that are called "open MRI's" that are used for claustrophobic patients and larger patients. If you're lucky your test might be able to be performed in one of those--I dont know. Your Dr is the one who orders which machine needs to be used to best suit your situation (stronger magnets in the closed machines equals better quality images). I cant say theyre comfortable as the table is firm and you have to lay perfectly still. The techs will do their best to make it as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Do post and let us know how it went!
Wishing you well....
Diana :)