PDA

View Full Version : Urelle

lbs
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
My insurance, Harvard-Pilgram, told me today that they would not cover my prescription for Urelle because it contains hyoscyamine which is not FDA approved. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem.

Katrina
05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
odd...I take hyoscyamine by itself....haven't filled the prescription yet this year so it is possible things have changed but still odd.

ICNDonna
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I also take hyoscyamine by itself. I haven't filled the prescription for a while, but haven't heard anything about it not being available.

Donna

Goldfinch
05-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I just filled a script for hyosc. last month with no problem; I'm sure my insurance likes it because it's generic. I got some static from my insurance about Urelle a few months ago and needed to get special authorization for that.

How could any composite drug that's FDA approved have an ingredient that isn't?

justice4j
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Someone is grossly misinforming folks. Not nice.

katie87
05-08-2009, 04:46 AM
i heard urelle brand name is not provided anymore, i think due to my insurance, i now have generic urelle called darpaz. so ask about darpaz, they may have that!

jen74
05-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Does urelle contain asprin in it?? I took a drug similar that you can buy over the counter called cystex. This contains that salicytate which is asprin. I thought I read that urelle also contains asprin but I am not sure. I cannot take asprin as it really messes up my stomach( severe pain and vomiting).
Jen

imdani
05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I just filled a prescription for Urelle on April 23rd and didn't have any problems at all. My insurance is through Aetna and I filled the prescription at Walgreens.

Dani

Lizzy1010
05-11-2009, 01:01 AM
I just filled my script about a month ago without any problems. I too have Aetna and filled my script at Walgreens.

Laura78
05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Very interesting. Urelle didn't help me much, but I know many who use it. I will ask my uro. (early next mo.) if she knows anything. I know she's fairly tight w/ the Urelle drug rep. Don't recall the drug co.'s name offhand.

Hope you can find something to help you in the meantime or that this is just a rumor.

Mary Ann Maurer
05-22-2009, 07:33 AM
I am happy to hear about Darpaz which I understand just came on the market I was paying over $30.00 for Urelle, this generic Darpaz does it work the same , just wondering I assume the ingredients are the same.

thanks
Maryann

DenySue
05-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I have been taking Urelle for maybe 6 months, and just started getting the generic, Darpaz, two months ago. It works just as well as Urelle for me, and I had it filled at CVS.
I can not understand this insurance company saying they won't fill a prescription for a drug that isn't FDA approved. NO drugs can be prescribed...or sold in the United States that are not FDA approved! A drug can used "off label", that is, used for a condition it was not designed to treat, but it still has to be an FDA approved drug. Can, or will they explain this?

sabernst
06-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I have Harvard Pilgrim as well, and was told the same thing. I shelled out $150 for a month of Urelle thinking there must have been a mistake. If something is not FDA approved, how does it get on the market? I told my physical therapist and she was very skeptical. This does seem like misinformation and I am going to call HPHC tomorrow. Please, if anyone has any more info on this, let me know

glassd18
06-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Just had my script for Prosed DS filled and that has hyoscyamine in it. I used to take Urised, but they discontinued it for a while, and I don't know if it was ever re-released, but my uro replaced it with Prosed DS which is pretty much the same med. I think the pharmacy or insurance company has their stories mixed or are feeding you a line, but that's just my personal opinion. You should talk to your pharmacist, and have them talk to your insurance company directly, and let your doctor know what's going on. Let them hash it out on your behalf. Here is a link for info on Prosed:

http://www.drugs.com/cons/prosed-ds.html

I do not see Urelle listed on the available drug list on drugs.com

srice
06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
My insurance doesn't cover urelle because they told me that it isn't on their list of drugs that need to be taken long term. It's usually prescribed for people with UTIs and used short term. I had called the maker of Urelle to ask them if it was gluten free and was told the same thing about the short term use.

I pay over $150 a month for it, but have good success with frequency and urgency, so I don't want to give it up. My pharmasist laughed at me a lot when I first started taking Urelle because I would show up with another name of a drug with the same ingredients to do a price check. It seems they all run about the same price for me. I did find an on-line drug company that sold one of the meds cheaper, but I'm too lazy to fill out the paperwork and figure out the process of using an on-line company.

Insurance carriers are all different though. My 3 month supply of elmiron is only $70 - so I feel lucky about that.

Would love to find 1 pill that has everything in it so that I don't have a meal of pills for breakfast and for dinner!

Stacey

glassd18
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I've been getting my Prosed DS filled for years now. I use Anthem Health Insurance. If your pharmacist is laughing at you then you should go to another pharmacy. They are suppose to be helpful. You deserve the best care no matter where you go. My pharmacist has been dealing with me an my IC for years now, and have always answered my questions professionally. Prosed is quite expensive though, but I get it filled for a 90 day supply, and it's much cheaper that way as I only have to pay the one copay.

srice
06-16-2009, 08:45 AM
That's great that you only have one co-pay. I'll keep trying - Who knows maybe one day they will cover it better on my insurance. Considering I'll be using it until it doesn't work anymore - hopefully that's a very long time!

Stacey

glassd18
06-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Do you have to submit your own pharmacy claims or does the pharmacy do it automatically for you? I still wouldn't take the answer the insurance company gave you about not covering it long term. That's a bunch of whoey. Insurance companies will do and say anything to get out of paying for something, and some people just accept the answer and walk away which is what they are hoping for. I was talking to somebody recently in the health care industry, and he hates insurance companies as he says that they try to get out of everything. Ask them where you can read about that fact and see what they tell you. I'm not one to give up easily. Good luck!!!

sabernst
06-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Has anyone had relief with a drug comparable to Urelle or Prosed that doesn't have hyoscyamine in it? I'm am terrified of having to ration out my Urelle tablets now that I can no longer afford them

Tuckersmom
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I just had my Urelle refilled a couple of weeks ago at Wal-Mart. It costs over $600 for a 90 day supply (360 tablets), and that's with a prescription discount through our insurance company.

glassd18
06-17-2009, 04:12 AM
OMG I can't believe how much you all are paying. I'm so sorry for you all. Has anyone contacted the company to see if they can't help pay for these meds? I know the probability is low, but never hurts to try I guess. Would Prosed DS or Urispaz cost the same?

@ Sabernst there is a drug called Pyridium, but I don't know if you could take that daily. You'd have to talk to your uro about it.

Maybe the uro can suggest a lower priced drug too. I wish you luck.

I am on a three tier pharmaceutical insurance so I never pay more than the third tier copay unless the company doesn't cover the drug at all which has never happened yet.

Tier one is: $10.00
Tier two is: 25.00
Tier three is: 40.00

So my Prosed DS is $ 40.00 for a ninety day supply because that's how the uro wrote the script.

DenySue
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I, too, can't believe how much everyone is paying!!! I get generic Urelle, called Darpaz, at my local CVS pharmacy, for $10 for 60! It is exactly the same thing; works just the same, and my uro will refill it as often as I need (which is rare these days). I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and since January all generics are free....so I haven paid anything for Darpaz for six months! It sounds like you guys are being ripped off. There is no reason that you should not not be able to get Darpaz if the CVS here in North Carolina can get it!
Put some pressure on somebody!

glassd18
06-18-2009, 05:24 AM
I agree DenySue 100% Something fishy going one for sure.

pumpkin_13
10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I love my Urelle, too. It looks like the original manufacturer was Pharmelle, but they were purchased by
"Azur Pharma Announces the Acquisition of Pharmelle LLC"
The Azur site still lists Urelle as being made and has the ingredients.... here is the link to the page and a copy of the ingredients

http://www.azurpharma.com/pdf/natelle/Urelle.pdf

Urelle™
Urinary Antiseptic
Description:
Urelle™ are round, blue sugar-coated tablets with “P-002” imprinted on one side.
Each Tablet Contains:
Methenamine 81.0 mg
Sodium Biphosphate 40.8 mg
Phenyl Salicylate 32.4 mg
Methylene Blue 10.8 mg
Hyoscyamine Sulfate 0.12 mg

They also listed something about possibly coming out with a Urelle plus in 2008, but I don't know if that ever happened. I would contact the company directly - they may have a program for lost cost drugs that's not necessarily listed on their website. Luckily, I have Aetna and they cover it... Good Luck to everyone!!!

Sandy
Diagnosed w/IC in 1998 at the age of 22. They said it was the youngest ever - boy has that changed!!

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free - Michelangelo

pumpkin_13
10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I forgot to say that they bought them in 2007...

Sandy
Diagnosed w/IC in 1998 at the age of 22. They said it was the youngest ever - boy has that changed!!

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free - Michelangelo

crkshnks79
10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
My insurance doesn't cover urelle because they told me that it isn't on their list of drugs that need to be taken long term. It's usually prescribed for people with UTIs and used short term. I had called the maker of Urelle to ask them if it was gluten free and was told the same thing about the short term use.

I pay over $150 a month for it, but have good success with frequency and urgency, so I don't want to give it up. My pharmasist laughed at me a lot when I first started taking Urelle because I would show up with another name of a drug with the same ingredients to do a price check. It seems they all run about the same price for me. I did find an on-line drug company that sold one of the meds cheaper, but I'm too lazy to fill out the paperwork and figure out the process of using an on-line company.

Insurance carriers are all different though. My 3 month supply of elmiron is only $70 - so I feel lucky about that.

Would love to find 1 pill that has everything in it so that I don't have a meal of pills for breakfast and for dinner!

Stacey

LOL Stacey !!!! Thats EXACTLY what it feels like ! A MEAL of pills for breakfast , lunch, and dinner . Good way to describe it !!!!

crkshnks79
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
That is crazy !! The amount of money on some of the posts I read for Urelle !!! Im on state ins , and trust me the will reject almost anything expenseive !!! And they have always paid for my Urelle ! I didnt know that they came out w a generic ? Most likely my ins will start covering that now that it is available ...

Glenda2
10-17-2009, 07:02 AM
I was just given a script. for Darpaz ( Urelle ) on 10/ 14/ 09.

And My insurance covers it with a $15.00 Co-Pay.

I asked what the 90 pills cost each month and the pharmacist said > $375.00

I hope they start working , they sure nauseate me and I vomited it up this morning. Lost the pill.

How is this thing suppose to eliminate bladder pain ?
I don't have cramps that I can tell.

Just feels:help: like I was punched hard.

Glenda2
10-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Another question ?

Why do the have to put Blue Dye in Darpaz / Urelle to turn your Urine Blue ?

Is that medically necessary ?

That drives me insane.

It stains the potty bowl. And my underware.

Turtlecat
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
I will have to start paying for mine, as I currently am uninsured. The cash price for 90 pills of Darpaz at my area Target is about $150. I don't use three a day, so it will end up being less than $150. I recently found out about a drug card program in my state that anyone can get, and I did some price checking. It's not insurance and it's free. Lists participating pharmacies, all of which I've used at one time or another in the past. Darpaz is on the list and it was $50 cheaper using the card through CVS than Target's cash price. Don't know if all states have something similar or not.

Pam

Glenda2
10-22-2009, 01:19 PM
90 Capsules cost's me $375.00.

I do have Insurance , and it knocks it down to a $15.00 dollar co-pay for me.

That's alot of money for 90 capsules. :loco:

ginamariex
06-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Another question ?

Why do the have to put Blue Dye in Darpaz / Urelle to turn your Urine Blue ?

Is that medically necessary ?

That drives me insane.

It stains the potty bowl. And my underware.

Personally, that's the whole reason why I took / take Urelle ( I'm currently trying to convince my new Uro to re-prescribe it for me ). I have problems with leaking, especially on the bus to school, so I wear a pad all the time, and I like to know when it happens, so that's when the blue comes in handy.

shawnster
06-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Is the blue in Urelle and Prosed DS blue dye or something else?

The only reason why I ask is that I think one of my triggers could be blue dye? Is that possible?

I flared horribly on Prosed, Urelle didn't do a lot, and I think home-made rice krispy treats also flare me. I couldn't figure out what would be the food problem there until I looked at the marshmallow package and saw that there is blue dye in them.

So I'm just testing out my theory - any thoughts?

sshannon74074
07-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Urelle does nothing for me.

Sometimes I wonder if its a phsycological thing that when people see the blue urine they think, oh wow, that must be doing something.

Peggi
08-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I have been taking Urelle for over a year and it wasn't until 1 week ago that the price went up (paid 68.00 w/ insurance). I called my insurance company and asked why the 15.00 increase and she replied that the manufacturer had raised their prices, so they in turn had to raise their cost. I pay 40% as it is a brand name drug. I also asked her if there was a generic and she said there wasn't.

Tuckersmom
08-02-2010, 05:59 AM
There IS a generic for Urelle. Urelle manufactures it themselves, so it does not show up as a generic if a pharmacy or insurance company searches for it in the typical way. The name of the generic is Darpaz. It is less expensive than Urelle, but it's still pretty costly. Get your Uro to write it out as 'Darpaz' and you will be able to get a prescription filled for it.

mary124
08-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Peggi:
That is what Wal-Mart told me as well, that there wasn't a generic drug and because I didn't want to pay the $50 (with insurance) I choose not to have it filled. I called another store and they said it was and it would be $15.00

Peggi
08-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks 'Tuckersmom' and 'Mary124'....for the info. I had it filled at Wal-Mart; I didn't ask them if there was a generic but I did ask my insurance company, and she said there wasn't. I then went onto my (prescription) insurance website (MEDCO) and did a "price a medication" for DARPAZ, and it came back w/ no matches????? I go to my pain mgmt doc tomorrow; I will ask him to write a script for Darpaz; however, I don't think my insurance company will cover it?