PDA

View Full Version : It's SNOWING in south Louisiana!!!

leelee88
12-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Ok this is a awesome treat!!! Just was so excited had to share this.. I know everyone up north prob says What's the big deal.. BUT we ONLY get snow MAYBE every 5 to 6 years or longer!!!!! So yes it is a site for us southerners..and trust me when I say I am down south I am 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico! LOL

ilovekittys
12-11-2008, 03:46 AM
i am from ohio and i still enjoy seeing snow by february im sick of it but in december i love a good blizzard, i enjoy 4 solid seasons!:hi:

Tuckersmom
12-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Yep, we woke up to snow here, too, in south central Louisiana, about 18 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. My daughter took her little boys out in it early this morning. The last time it truly snowed enough here to stick to the ground was February 14, 1988.

mary124
12-11-2008, 04:32 AM
We had some weird weather here in Austin on Tuesday night, rain, wind, sleet,ice and even a little bit of snow- depending on what part of the city you live on. (we didn't get any snow - everything else though). Still had ice on our patio last night when I got home, plus it re-froze last night so we still had this morning.
I think the last time it snowed here was about 5 years ago as well, (Valentine's Day)- I remember the very first time that I seen snow- it was in 1984 (January and it snowed not once, or twice but 3 times; the first 2 was in January and the last one was in March after having a handful of 80+ degree weather!!) I was 23 years old at that time. I lived in S. California and really didn't see any- unless you count the times that once it hit the ground it melted away.)

It snowed in Houston a little too from what I heard-my parents live there and they said they got some (they live outside of town in Sugar Land).
Briza if you are around, did you get any??

Its suppose to get really cold early next week, just hope its not like it was the other night!

I know my friends who lived up North just laugh at us here as they of course have snow all the time and they drive around in it. My friend has pictures of him and friends/family in front of snow drifts that are taller then them.

Stay warm!

statesboro
12-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I live in Southeast, GA. Anyhow, I do look at the Weather Channel sometimes. Yep! I did notice it had snowed in parts of Texas and Louisiana. Of course, we just got rain. In fact, it has starting clearing up some by now. It was 66 degrees when I got off work at 2:00am. How about that? Oh, well!

Claredale
12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
My older son picked week to start hiking the Appalacian Trail. He came home early today because it was sleeting and snowing. It was his 3rd day on the trail, but it is unusual for this kind of weather. It's cold here, but well south of here!

dyno
12-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Yup, by Feburary I will be ready to send some down your way!:)

Enjoy your snow while it lasts!!!

dg2901
12-11-2008, 10:59 AM
So much for global warming! :lmao:

VickiB
12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Now how crazy is that? You're getting snow in Louisiana, and here I am a stone's throw from the Canadian border in Idaho and I'm looking out at patches of green grass?! I'm jealous!

We are under a winter storm watch for tomorrow, supposedly have 12 inches of the white stuff on the way. I'm hoping for twice that. Three foot would be better!

Enjoy!!!

Vicki

ICNDonna
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
We don't often get snow where I am in Oregon, but it's supposed to snow Saturday night. I don't mind as long as we can build a snowman, and the roads are clear by afternoon on Sunday so I'm not stuck at home. I grew up in Nebraska and I got enough snow to last me a lifetime.

:)
Donna

kuntrygurl78
12-13-2008, 12:09 PM
My husband was raised in Biloxi, MS. I asked him if it was true that everything shuts down when they see flakes in the air. He said it does. Hes been in IL for 20 years and still doesnt like the snow. I LOVE it! I just dont like the ice which we may get Sunday night. Guess its good Im not working and therefore dont have to drive in it:bow:

leelee88
12-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Kim, Funny you mentioned that.. Because they were closing schools that day!! And the next day just 45 min north from us where they got 2 ft of snow they closed schools the next day..LOL Also New Orleans and Gulfport had bridges closed for hours..

kuntrygurl78
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Bridges closed because of snow:biglaugh:

kuntrygurl78
12-14-2008, 02:49 PM
After I posted that laugh smiley, I remembered the bridge that goes over a big lake that we had to go over on our way to Biloxi to New Orleans. Im pretty sure it was the bridge over Lake Ponchetrain. (sp). WHOAH! Now, thats a long bridge. I could see them closing that for snow...especially since yall dont have snow removal equipment or salt.

To our friends in the northeast: hoping that you are staying warm til your power comes back.

To our friends in the high plains: hope your power doesnt go out with the blizzard!:grouphug:

VickiB
12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
You know how I said it was warm here in North Idaho with green grass? Not anymore! First we were hit with snow and then arctic air came in behind it. Brrr! Our forcast now calls for a high of -1.

I imagine those in eastern Montana and North Dakota are taking the brunt of this cold stuff! Stay warm over there!

Vicki

mlzippy7
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Ronda I am glad you enjoyed the snow. We have had enough here in the north already. Tomorrow should be 20 to 30 below zero....oh so cold already and winter doesn't start until next Sunday.

SharonA
12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
The weather dudes are saying that we will be having freezing rain beginning early tomorrow morning until evening. I hope there isn't much accumulation. The slick roads are one thing, but the thought of falling limbs due to the weight of the ice is very scary. Yikes!!!! I am ready for Summer and Winter isn't officially here until Dec. 21st.

Briza
12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
It snowed here in 2004 on Christmas morning, can ya believe? A TRUE white Christmas!! I nearly had a heart attack when I opened the front door to let the animals out!!! 4-6 inches...enough to build a snowman :) and throw a bikini on it and set a corona beer bottle beside it...tex-mex style lol...used a jalapeno pepper for the nose ha ha...by 2 in the afternoon it was all melting, we had to put a beach umbrella over ours to keep it from melting any faster lol... but it sure was special. Snow on the beach, on the palm trees, the orange and papaya trees and cactus. The snow of the century...hadn't snowed here in over 100 yrs!! The next day it was warm enough to go to the beach and hang out and get a tan:loco:. Texas weather, never know what it's gonna do!:loco:
Hope you enjoyed yours Ronda!
But bbbbbrrrrrr, those of you way up north right now I hope are keeping warm...those snow and ice storms I'm seeing on the news look wicked...

leelee88
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
It was exciting.. But I would not like it to stay for days..This is why I live in the south. I like my warmer weather..:)

mary124
12-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Briza: I know that it snowed on Christmas day- because my family all call me and said 'guess what??" I always wanted a white Christmas but I guess we won't get it.
Yesterday it was in the 80's and today as of a few minutes ago it was 34 degrees with a windchill factor of 24 degrees. They said we might have some bad weather like we did last week. Hopefully we won't.

But yes, for all of you people who live up North- they close everything down - my friends who live in Iowa still laughs about this!!