PDA

View Full Version : How to survive while waiting for SSD

dbdab
12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I've just come out of several years of denial and went to a lawyer to begin the SSD process. She said it would take 1 year and a half to two years to see any money. I am single, have no health insurance, am living with my parents and have two kids (21 & 22 years old). Aside from borrowing money from my dad for the next couple years, I have no other financial options. Was just curious what others have to done to survive financially while waiting to find out if you'll be approved? It is so disheartening that this process takes so long.

Thanks!

Deb

amaranthe
12-09-2008, 10:20 PM
That's the worst thing about the whole SSD process....the waiting and lack of money while waiting. In my case, I am married, so we just cut back everywhere we could cut back like we quit going out to eat, going to movies, started eating a few meatless meals a week, etc. By doing that, we were able to make it fine on his income alone while we waited for SSD.

However, I know alot of ppl either arent married or else they cant make it on their spouses income. Lots of them have had to move in with friends and family and borrow money to get them thru until they were approved.

I dont know how SSDI works, but I know there are different standards for it than for SSD, and some ppl qualify for both. SSD is based on your work history and how many credits you have, whereas SSDI is a welfare program for disabled people and ppl can qualify for it even if they have never worked, so long as they are disabled and their income and assets are low enough. I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that they approval process for SSDI is much quicker than for SSD. Anyway, if you have no income, you definately need to apply for that one too!

Also, you can contact your local Dept of Human Services and get signed up for welfare and other needs-based programs in your state. I dont know anything about that though, or how long it takes to get approved for it. But, your DHS should be able to tell you all that stuff.

Good luck to you! I hope you get approved for something very soon!

Sending hugs of support,
Amaranthe

ICNDonna
12-10-2008, 02:54 AM
I was just going to suggest you apply for public assistance, especially if your parents have limited funds.

Donna

Claredale
12-10-2008, 06:37 AM
I am fortunate that I have STD and LTD. The LTD can last for up to 2 years depending on your doctors medical information and it is 50% of our pay. I pray that it never comes to that, but I did look into it when I had my last flare that I ended up taking a couple of weeks off and was on STD. I have learned from experience that I definitely have to have the medical documentation all together since our company is now using a 3rd party administrator to handle our claims. When I was sick before when I worked for this company the first time, everything was handled in house and I didn't have any roadblocks, but by then, I had 2 weeks sick pay to rely on before even needing to fall back on STD benefits.

When I sort of "retired" for a year or so, I did like Amaranthe. I am married, so my husband and I just learned to cut back. It was harder then because I made more money because I was working in my career job, now I don't make that kind of money, so if I do end up having to go out on disability, I hope it will be easier to get by. I am fortunate now that my older son is married and self-sufficient and my younger son is trying to get that way.

I hope you are able to get some assistance through the state.

I know I have alot of friends on here that I pray for daily that have financial needs, even on SSI.

Hugs, Tracey

mary124
12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Someone mentioned going to the DHS office in your area. Thats what its there for. I work for the State of Texas and use to work in the area of food stamps/assistance- so if/when you decide to apply for assistance, take with you- ID/Driver License; birth certificate of everyone who is going to get benefits; verification of income (if any-husbands-or in your case your son's work and live at home) if you have a bank/savings accounts you need to take 3 months of statements; receipts for house rent-other utililties; vehicle information. Note on the car they just want to know what year and make it is so they can determine the valve. If you have all of these then it will make the process so much easier and faster. (Keep in mind though it may be different where you live in what verifications that they want, but I would take what I mentioned - as it would be a big help.
Try not to go early in the month as that is when its the busiest- also in the mid-morning is best--thats just from experience. Good luck.

dbdab
12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Thank you everyone for sharing. I am applying by phone on 12/17 and I'm going to apply for SSI as well. I am also looking into getting any other state assistance I can get. It's tough because I live with my parents and they've never had to go through a situation where they had to go to the state for assistance, so they just tell me not to worry about it and they'll give me whatever money I need. I just feel like if I can do what I can to get some additional assistance then they won't have to carry the whole burden. They've already been my saving grace my whole life. I was a 16 when I had my son and 17 when I had my daughter. I raised them on my own, but my parents carried me through most of those years emotionally and financially. I finally was able to get on my feet financially and buy my own home in 2000. I had it for seven years and now I've lost it all due to my IC and here they are again for me. It's just tough to have to do this. My Dad is tired, he's the kindest man as is my mom and they have worked so hard, unselfishly for all of us our whole lives. My Dad should be able to retire in the next year, but now he can't. He says he wouldn't have been able to anyway, but I know he's trying to make me feel better and that's he's very tired. Despite everything I know I'm finally making the right to decision to apply for disability. I've been in denial for 4 years. One thing I've learned about procrastinating when it comes to applying for disability is that what happened too long ago, in my case more than two years ago doesn't matter. For me, those years are when I was struggling the worst to find a treatment that at least made my IC manageable. It was two years of experimental torture and now I'm told it doesn't count. I'm doing what I need to do and I know that SSD is my money that I paid, but I must say that in addition to feeling scared, saddened and somewhat relieved I feel angry that people are treated this way. :mad: I have a friend, 40 years old who was just out of the blue, diagnosed with leukemia and is about to have a bone marrow transplant. I pray that this will save his life, but he's not out of the woods yet. I can only hope and pray that amidst all of his suffering he is not having to deal with this daunting, twisted process where some people get help quicker just by luck of the draw and others wait in pain because of a problem with paperwork or because they answered one question wrong. It's highly disturbing. I just had to get that out. Sorry.
My thoughts and prayers have always been with all of you since I joined here several years ago and they always will be. Thanks Amaranthe for helping me initially. I will keep you posted. Now that I will be home more often I will try to spend more time up here to help everyone else as everyone has helped me.

My deepest gratitude to you all. I wish everyone a joyous holiday season.

Mare
12-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Deb,

I wish you the best of luck during this long process. I was approved at my hearing that took 2 years to get processed. But the good news is that when you get approved, you get paid from the date that you became eligible for the disability payments. So with that money you will hopefully be able to repay some of the money that your parents will be helping you with. Also, you will be able to apply for the Medicare coverage 2 years after that same date. Don't forget to check the threads that talk about getting help with your drugs if you haven't done that yet. You are welcome to PM me along your journey if you start to feel discouraged. I started to get depressed during my long process. I got 2 letters of rejection before I got my hearing date. But I am glad that I appealed the decision and kept going forward. warm regards and best wishes, Mare

Claredale
12-12-2008, 08:16 AM
I am glad that you are blessed with such great and understanding parents!

Hugs, Tracey

Kirs10
12-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I can absolutely understand how you are feeling. I too am in the process of going through an attorney to help me fight for the disablitity that I rightfully am intitled too.
It just feels like they make it so hard to get disablilty, so that people will just give up.
It is hard to make ends meet during these times, but the others are right you need to definitely apply for assistance through the state that is what they are there for.
I my case, I am married and we make just slightly too much to get help and not enough to survive. This time of year makes it rough with the three kids, but the way I look it things could be worse. I have my family and friends and a place to sleep and food to eat and all of my kids are healthy and happy.
Do not give up hope, things are going to improve, the new year is just around the corner and the new year is a blank slate waiting to be written on.
Keep your chin up, I will put you in my prayers.:pray:
Have a great holiday.:angel::smile tee

snowgirl
12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
As a single person I had to move home with my parents to afford Cobra. I could not have done it any other way. Not sure in these economic times if I can afford my own place on SS. I have thought of returning to work just for the medical benefits. So far pain md says no, therapist a no, psy md a no and most important urologist wont give me an answer. Family md will do whatever I want. I know if I go back I will have to come off work on SS again whether it is 3 years or 10 years. I won't be able to work until 67 for medicare. I am sorry for your situation and I understand as I am kinda on the same side of the line as you are. Vicky You need to apply for medicare.

dbdab
12-24-2008, 05:49 AM
I had my interview last week. The guy was a jerk. I know I needed to do this, but I am really scared. One reason I was hesitant in the first place was fear that unexpected bills may came along causing me to borrow even more money from my Dad. Well, guess what? That's exactly what happened. It seems the day after I applied, all of these unexpected bills came out of nowhere that are owed in January, plus I'm going to my doctor next month with no insurance and he's in the next state, so there's his fee and travel expenses. If I don't go it looks bad for my case. Now I have to borrow more than double the original amount of money from my Dad which after many years of always paying my own bills sends me down a misery spiral. I'm deeply depressed. If things don't turn out right in the end, I won't survive this.

Also, during the interview he told me the amount of SSI I could get, but then proceeded to tell me that I don't qualify because my car is worth too much money. It can't be worth more than $2,000 or you don't qualify. Are they kidding?? :loco: So, I can't get SSI, Medicaid or any assistance at all from the stupid state of CT. It all makes me so angry. :mad: I told them that my dad pays for everything, but it doesn't matter because the car is in my name. I swear you have to be living in a trash can to get help. :confused: Also, I need to start seeing my therapist again, but I can't afford it which is the reason why I stopped going in the first place. My lawyer says to go back to my therapist because they might say I haven't tried hard enough to get my depression under control and deny me. Well...if they would throw me a freaking bone maybe I could get the damn care that I need! :cussing: I'm so angry and depressed the only way I'm getting through is by sleeping away as much of the day as possible. I can't watch TV, I can't take talking about it to anyone anymore or even thinking about anything. I don't care if tomorrow never comes. My head feels like it will explode. I'm having trouble sleeping even with all the meds because my anxiety is that bad. Anyway, I just needed to get all this out. Didn't mean to put a damper on anyone's holiday cheer with my grim update.

I sincerely hope everyone here has a joyful, peaceful holiday and wish you all much health and happiness in 2009. :pray:

Thanks for listening,
Deb

dbdab
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Well, I just got my SSI denial letter. Turns out it wasn't even MY car that caused my denial. It was that I co-own my daughter's car putting me a mere $1,080 over the damn limit. They allow for one vehicle, which was mine. The only reason I co-own my kids cars, which by the way are really worth nothing is so that I can put them on my auto insurance policy, their own policies would be more than double at their ages (21 and 22). The SSD guy insisted that one car was worth 1,000 and the other 2,000, but they are not. Plus, I had $80.00 in my checking account, which I told him I was about to use half to pay a bill and he still put down 80.00 as a resource. $80.00 damn dollars!! For the love of god, how in the hell can they hold that against you?! I need to keep at least $40.00 in my checking account for fees. My lawyer says it's not worth it to appeal SSI because you only receive SSI for the initial 3-5 months (while they are making a decision on the first application) and appealing would take a couple months anyway.

Our government certainly does not reward us for being a responsible person who does the right thing and is a contributing member of society, so what is the point of working hard and paying your bills on time for years? To be treated like this?! Meanwhile, the people who scam the system get what they need and ruin it for the rest of us. I am just so angry and frustrated. :cussing:

It hasn't even been a month and I am already deeply depressed. I can't see myself making it for two years and if I do, I'll be a basket case by then. My life is on hold in the hands of the government for possibly two years and they offer me no resources to start to help myself in the meantime. This is an unbearably helpless feeling. Anyway, just giving an update. I know there's nothing can be done to resolve this, but I'm glad to have a place to go where people understand. Thanks! Deb

amaranthe
01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi, sweetie! I just got your PM and also read your posts. I am so sorry they are doing this to you! It just doesnt seem fair at all! But, hopefully you will get approved for SSD and Medicare very soon and with any luck they will back date your claim at least 2 yrs so you will automatically be eligible for Medicare.

I definately understand the depression....Lord knows I fight it too. :( But, I was just reading your signature and noticed you arent taking an antidepressant. I really think you should talk to your Dr about r/xing one for you. They can really help alot. If money is an issue for getting it filled, there are several sources of help for this on the low income resource board where ppl with low incomes can get free meds. Please look into that for your other meds too, if you havent already done so.

Again, I am really sorry SSI didnt work out. But, please dont lose hope. With a case like yours, surely you will be approved quickly for SSD. Then, it will all be worth the wait.

Sending hugs and support,
Amaranthe

dbdab
01-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Amaranthe. I have taken anti-depressants in the past (zoloft and lexapro), but they did nothing but make me more tired and headache prone. Also, most recently I was taking Noritryptiline, but like it's more evil sister drug Amitryptiline all it did was make me gain weight, which caused me stress and because of my PFD stress is one of my worst enemies.

I am going to my uro on 1/20, so I'll talk to him about it and see if he has any free samples of anything. I'm also going to try and start seeing my therapist again at least once a month, but it's tough when I'm already borrowing so much money from my father to ask him for more. It really infuriates me that I could have received a check and Medicaid possibly by next month if not for their ridiculous resource limits. I'd like to know who determines those limits because they must be living in some fantasy land if they think anyone, even the lowest income people don't have at least $3000 in resources. A reliable car is worth at least that much.

Well, I got myself into this, so now I will see it all the way through. I'm just worried about how much worse off I will be by then. Thanks again for your advice. Hopefully, there will be something positive for me to tell everyone next time.