PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper a Culprit

naturalone
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Here is something that worked great for my urethra pain. My IC started at the same time that I tried a new brand of toilet paper, so I thought that maybe all the chemicals in most brands, including bleach, dyes and fragrances, could be one of the causes. I then read that those chemicals get absorbed and cause IC flare-ups so I decided to try something: after urinating, I wipe only on the outside skin and do not let the toilet paper touch any of the soft mucus membranes inside. It took a couple of days, but it worked great! Almost all of my urethra and vulva pain were gone! I hope this wonderful discovery can help others with similar pain.

ICNDonna
08-05-2008, 02:43 AM
I only buy plain white, unscented, toilet tissue and after urinating, just blot the area.

Donna

elamar
08-05-2008, 04:17 AM
A few weeks ago I started drying off my privates with a hair dryer on the cool setting after my shower. I read about that somewhere on these boards. I'm surprized that it has helped reduced irritation in the urethra.

born2swim
08-31-2008, 05:45 AM
when home, I use an irrigation bottle to wash off the urine and then blot the excess water with TP. It helps when things are really tender.

breannavich
09-06-2008, 06:33 PM
It always amazes me to think such little things can aggravate IC to such a degree. I've started paying more attention and it seems that I too respond negatively to toilet paper. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post name brands on this site (?) but I was wondering if anyone could recommed some TP that was safe, thanks!

Briza
09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Well you can imagine the low quality of TP at my job (public school).:rolleyes: Not only is it like sandpaper but it had this strange smell! If anything, TP should not smell bad before using it :biglaugh:So I took my own Charmin Ultra to work or use soft kleenex.

SharonA
09-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Linda...:welcome: to the ICN... :)

I use Charmin Basic. It is what it says it is...Basic. It is also single ply. That is better on the plumbing.

I also use a squirt bottle to rinse off if I am irritated down below. I then blot with paper towels using one for the front and one for the backside. I then throw them in the wastebasket.

mrsaridings
09-09-2008, 01:42 AM
It is so funny. My husband swears I say tp is a flare issue just because I like Charmin better, but now he will know it is not in my head.

He prefers other types and they always bother me. So now he will know. I am going to read this to him just to prove it:smile tee

RAS
09-19-2008, 04:15 AM
I normally use charmin ultra. I accidently bought scott one ply and believed that my sore bottom was due to the paper, or that didn't buy All "free and clear". I'm been reaching to the back of the drawer for panties I know I washed before the switch. :)

mary124
09-19-2008, 06:38 AM
I use plain, white TP, usually Charmin or Angel Soft.

Sharon
09-20-2008, 03:58 AM
A while back I started to suffer from recurrent bladder infections.

After I started having infections, I tried to figure out what I was doing different that could cause these infections. I was using a new brand of toilet paper, but I knew that couldn't be the cause.

One day I notice a small pile of toilet paper dust on the floor under my roll of toilet paper. I wondered if this could have anything to do with my bladder infections. I switched back to my old brand, which causes very little toilet paper dust, and so far I haven't had anymore infections.

Coincidence or not?

rawestrus
11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I really hope that this is the reason why I have been experiencing urethral burning ONLY in the last week for the first time with IC!

I live with several suitemates and we rotate our responsibilities for buying toilet paper and paper towel. Just last week we switched to a new brand that, though it states it is unscented, REALLY SMELLS scented? Which is weird, but for instance I was trying to sniff what I wiped in case I had a UTI (UTIs well produce smelly urine...) and all I'd get a whiff of is this really "squeaky clean" chemical scent.

I also read on the boards that blueberries or other berries and chocolate can induce burning for some folks and I have been eating both just recently and not much before last week. Hmmm.

I want to try Aloe Vera as I am getting tons of pain relief in the bladder and with the ease off of pressure through slippery elm, giving me some faith again in natural alternative supplements. But that Dessert Harvest stuff isn't cheap!!

songbird7
11-09-2010, 04:38 AM
I really hope that this is the reason why I have been experiencing urethral burning ONLY in the last week for the first time with IC!

I live with several suitemates and we rotate our responsibilities for buying toilet paper and paper towel. Just last week we switched to a new brand that, though it states it is unscented, REALLY SMELLS scented? f isn't cheap!!
Recycled toilet paper. In some places this is available even in big stores like Walgreens. Since switching to recycled toilet paper and avoiding chlorinate bleach in the toilet paper, I have more remission. All the best to everyone here.:woohoo:

bob04951
11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Do any guys out there have problems with TP? We exclusively use Scott because of septic system.

ICNDonna
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I buy Kirkland brand at Costco --- plain white unscented. We have a septic tank --- just had it emptied this summer --- it took 30 years to fill.

Donna

mary124
11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I too have a septic system. Had it empty this pass April not due to being filled (I have a double tank; the guy who took care of this nasty job said that it was pretty empty for living here for 9 years (had it empty due to I had a pipe busted.

tigger_gal
11-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Well you can imagine the low quality of TP at my job (public school).:rolleyes: Not only is it like sandpaper but it had this strange smell! If anything, TP should not smell bad before using it :biglaugh:So I took my own Charmin Ultra to work or use soft kleenex.

I'm sorry that was too funny. I try to remember to blot =) but I find it often I have no time to think. Cottonell and white could are the best for me.

alycat
11-12-2010, 06:48 AM
It took us a lot of time to figure out toilet paper was a bad one for me. What made me realize it finally was when my college switched to an even cheaper, rougher TP and I flared for weeks.

I buy an all-natural brand from Trader Joe's. I also had to switch to all natural detergent as well, I'm that sensitive.

bjcov
11-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Man, I didn't even think about Toilet Paper! Winter is usually harder on me. I have bad urethral irritation right now and it stinks! Haven't been eating all that good, so I am hoping to fast tomorrow and hope my bladder calms down! Its so weird that my bladder is what is injured and I feel it in my urethra. Its dumb and nothing I take works! Just diet, diet, diet!