PDA

View Full Version : Baking Soda & Water: how much?

BreathDeeply
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I read somewhere on this board that many are taking baking soda and water instead of Prelief, both before meals, and some take it before bedtime.

Would those that do, please post the measurement you use: how much baking soda in what size water?

I find it is so very salty - bad taste but OK for my health since I have low blood pressure.
Thank you,

Claredale
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
1/2 a teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. For me, I used warm water. It mixed up easier, plus seemed to go down easier. I hope it helps.

motherof4
08-01-2008, 01:30 AM
I use 1/2 tsp in alittle bit of water I mix it good and then I hold my nose and drink it like a shot......

ICNDonna
08-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Baking soda is extremely high in sodium so you may not want to take it frequently.

Donna

BreathDeeply
08-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks to all of you for the replies - very helpful.

justice4j
08-01-2008, 08:26 AM
For me, that disguises the taste better and like others, I hold my nose and down it....but now that I'm taking Dextroamphetamine sulfate, I don't have much need for baking soda.....I still use Prelief though.

Mothergoose
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I may be wrong but I have read alot of old and new posts here, my understanding is people use baking soda and water, when their bladder if flaring bad, or they find out they have mistakenly eaten something that will bother them, not as a daily thing more like a rescue thing than a preventor.

angie1962
08-28-2008, 04:26 AM
I use baking soda in my bath water sometimes for sore muscles from my fibro...maybe I should gulp some down :loco:
I;ll have to try this baking soda thing...see how it works...so I take it after I eat something? or when I get pain???

aleet7
08-29-2008, 06:28 AM
I tried it for the first time when I went out last week. My bladder was reving up and I was feeling so bad even before I ate. I knew that I had to either go home and lay down when I remembered to ask the waitress for 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 8 oz. of water. I was much better in less than 20 minutes and I had a great night out with my family!
Best Wishes,
Aleet

cowdean
08-31-2008, 07:23 AM
I use the baking soda when the pain starts and in 15-20 minutes I feel better.

bjcov
09-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Does the baking soda work for frequency too?

Julie B
09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi there,

The baking soda works for me, but only for a day or so. After that it makes things worse. I think it ends up making the urine too alkaline, which is just as abrasive on the bladder as too acid of urine. If you had a wound on your hand, you wouldn't want to put it into lemon juice (acid) nor would you want to put it into bleach (alkaline). It would hurt both ways....so if you think of your bladder having little wounds....it makes sense that a urine pH that is too low OR too high would cause IC patients trouble. Prelief doesn't seem to cause that huge swing in pH.

bjcov
09-14-2008, 04:50 PM
thanks for the info about the baking soda. Does anyone else have problems a couple of days after doing the baking soda? Now, I'm kinda scared to do it.

VickiB
09-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Does anyone else have problems a couple of days after doing the baking soda?

I use the baking soda & water as a rescue rather than for prevention. It does take the edge off of a flare quickly for me. My typical flare is short, one to two days, with the first six hours or so being really intense. I drink two glasses of water, each with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda as soon as I realize I've begun flare mode. Rarely do I ever need to repeat the process.

I have never had a problem a couple days after.

For prevention (before meals) I use Prelief or Tums.

Vicki

SharonA
09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I take 2 Prelief as soon as I realize that I am going into a flare (burning in the bladder). It seems to work for me.

bjcov
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
ok, I will try 1/2 tsp of baking soda, fingers crossed it helps me! I wish I knew a way to help with the flares, I don't have pain, really just always have to pee. I really don't know what to do to get rid of them, I do know that 2 pregnancies put me in remission. And also Elavil (so I thought) It was intercourse that caused it this time. I am going crazy!

bjcov
09-20-2008, 07:44 AM
SharonA, So you take the preleif even though you haven't eaten anything? Thats a good idea, I will try that. I was doing so good for 2 days and now I am as bad as ever, I don't know if its the baking soda,Hydroxizne 20 I started last night, or a med I took to help with my sore throat. This sucks, I just wanna sleep and feel better, its a dreary day today and the hubby took the kids to a harvest festival, I am sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Sucks!

motherof4
09-21-2008, 03:33 AM
bjcov I can not take hydroxine at all it gives me alot of pressure on my bladder.I will never take that again along with benedryl or anything else that is a anthistime I'm not sure why it bothers me but it totally feels like my bladder is going to explode.I also have that go to go feeling constantly but the hydroxine makes it 100 times worse.I take the baking soda and water and drink lots of water to flush my-self out...Good luck believe me I know how you feel I am going through it right now...............

bjcov
09-21-2008, 01:02 PM
mother, Thanks for letting me know, I will continue to make the hydroxizine for a couple of weeks to see how it goes. The severe urgency went away within an hour or so. The med I took to help my sore throat was the only thing I had eaten or drank that day, so I assume that was it. I was hoping to do a fast today to calm down my bladder, but I am starving, so we are going to have waffles and eggs for dinner, I usually do ok with that. I am leery of doing the baking soda too much, since it has so much sodium.

Does anyone else fast when things are going bad? My hubby gets so mad and says that it can't be good for me, I say one day is no big deal.

motherof4
09-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I hope that you start to feel better soon,I don't know about the fasting thing maybe you can eat light but not stop all together.I would try white rice,eggs,bland foods etc... for awhile till things calm down:)

aleet7
09-22-2008, 04:46 AM
bj,
when I'm in a flare I don't have an appetite so I guess I fast also. I just feel so bad that I don't want to eat anything at all. I do know that it is so important to drink lots of water even if I don't eat. And for the record, my hubby doesn't like it when I do that either.
Best wishes,
Aleet

bjcov
09-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I started feeling a lot better yesterday afternoon. I had comfort food belgian waffles, and scrambled eggs. I was even able to eat some bacon. I think what helped me is that, I wasn't afraid to sleep, take pain meds and take it easy. I always stress out so much when this happens. I always get so scared, as I'm sure you all do. I won't forget about the baking powder, I really think that helped me too!

BellaLuna
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Don't fast completely it makes the acid in your stomach create an acidic body, just eat bland foods... but don't eat nothing even if you feel horrible. Trust me I have tried it and it makes things worse.

motherof4
09-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm glad that you are feeling better.I know that the baking soda helps me out.......

plaxidia
09-23-2008, 02:47 AM
I have been using baking soda for a while. But like a couple others said.. Its good for an onset of pain/burning but not long term.. Doesn't work.. Also the sodium is bad if you have high blood pressure or bloating problems..

You might also look into marshmallow root.. Its fairly easy to get in the US and I have read quite a bit about its healing properties for the bladder and urinary tract.. I have some on order right now since the doctors here in Sweden are taking forever to even get me to a urologist and wont give me anything but sleeping pills.. Since the Marshmallow root has no real side effects I figured why not and it is supposed to make a decent tea :) .. Cant hurt.. The only thing is if you take other medications, you dont want to drink the tea at the same time you take your Meds..

:idea:

aleet7
09-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better! I stress too when a flare starts(which is dumb because stressing doesn't help at all!. We have to give ourselves room to take care of ourselves(take the meds, a warm bath when burning, lay down, rest etc....) We owe it to ourselves to give the body time to repair. The baking soda and water has been a life saver for me.
))Hugs((

malone
10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi,
A few years ago I was lucky enough to get a consultation with Dr. Phillip Hanno who is one of the pioneers in treating IC. One of his suggestions was a product called Brioski. It is similar to the baking soda and water, I am not sure what the difference is to be honest. He told me to use it when a flare hits and I have to tell you it can really take the edge off. I use it maybe 2 or 3 times for one day. Good luck! Ginny

1curly1
10-05-2008, 07:38 AM
I am now using the baking soda and water mixture and it sure takes the edge off for me, also. It seems to help some with my active colon, too. My husband and I were talking and he said I think most of your organs must be too acidic. I think he is on to something there. I have to take Prilosec for Acid reflux, also.

aleet7
10-06-2008, 04:23 AM
I am now using the baking soda and water mixture and it sure takes the edge off for me, also. It seems to help some with my active colon, too. My husband and I were talking and he said I think most of your organs must be too acidic. I think he is on to something there. I have to take Prilosec for Acid reflux, also.

Curly,
I think that you may be on to something! I have acid reflux also. I just noticed recently that I was using Prelief to be able to eat some foods that are acidic but I didn't realize that although it takes the acid out of the food, I am still able to get heartburn(need to take and antacid too)! I got heartburn so bad from tasting the marinara sauce that I was making for my family:bonk:(I wasn't going to try to eat that even with Prelief)! I was miserable even taking zantac:help:! There must be some acid problem in general if we have acid reflux and IC!
Best Wishes,
Aleet7

bjcov
01-04-2012, 04:31 PM
here I am 3 yrs later, trying to remember how much baking soda to put in water. I've had a pretty good 3 yrs but I am filled with anxiety because once again I am in a flare and I am usually feeling better by now. I hate that I am scared to eat or drink during a flare. Especially scared to drink since I don't have any "good" water. Hope all of you are doing well!

aleet7
01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I totally understand the fear of eating and drinking while flaring( I'm just coming out of a flare and I do know that milkshakes and bottled water help me a lot)! Try a half teaspoon of baking soda in your water for relief. Don't forget that warm baths and a heating pad helps calm the bladder down some. I sure hope you feel better soon!

Best Wishes!

bjcov
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I tried the baking soda but it didn't work. How much water do you put it in? I did it in 8oz. And I can't believe it but I don't have a heating pad! Crazy huh! This stinging in my urethra is crazy! And so is my anxiety!

aleet7
01-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Would you happen to have any Azo Standard(OTC med for urinary pain)? This also helps me with urethral stinging. I pray your flare ends soon!

Sending warm healing thoughts!

fuzzyclouds
01-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Prelief would be what I use preventatively, on a daily basis if required ... I use it before or during a meal..... however, I use 1/2 tsp of baking soda for a flare, during it, to help it calm down (usually if I ate something I shouldn't have). I would not suggest doing baking soda everyday... it's more of a "whne it happens" kinda fix, I'd say. it's too salty to do every day I'd say. :)