PDA

View Full Version : What's worse? Sitting or standing?

strobers
04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm taking an informal poll here. Is your pain/discomfort more bothersome when you sit or when you stand?

Mine is more pronounced when I sit.

ouch_a_lot
04-23-2008, 10:18 PM
When im stuck at my desk all day its worse.

When im standing its much better, symptoms improve over weekend.

BrittanysDance
04-24-2008, 01:46 AM
it depends on the day really and how my body feels that day. On average, I'm able to sit for about 30 minutes tops depending on the chair I'm sitting in (but I shift all the time due to PNE) and stand for about the same (if I'm wearing very comfortable shoes, but I constantly have to shift my weight from leg to leg). I have alot of back pain as well as pelvic, so both sitting and standing are hard on me.

GuyWithIC
04-24-2008, 02:15 AM
It is definitely much worse when sit. I work at a desk all day plus drive a lot for work. Riding in a car really makes it worse for me.

Claredale
04-24-2008, 05:02 AM
When my IC symptoms were at their worst a few years ago, I did better walking around. I was thankful that I had a desk job, but I was able to get up and walk around quite a bit. I have never had problems walking during any stage of my IC.

I still don't like to sit around. I have to be occupied all the time, which I can't say is due to my IC. I have been that way most of my life. I probably have restless leg syndrome in a small scale, because I have to get up and walk around. When going on long car rides, I have to keep my feet up on the dashboard. I seem to do better when I am driving instead of being the passenger. I don't keep my feet on the dashboard when I am driving. lOL!

The worst thing for me is when I am trying to settle down for the night. That seems to be when any IC symptoms become more evident. I have meds to take to help with the anxiety and to help me get sleepy so I don't have as much trouble going to bed...finally after many years!

Tracey

leelee88
04-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, Thats a tough one. I sit for awhile I seem to start hurting in my tail bone so I get up and walking and my legs/thighs start burning, so I stand for awhile then my lower back starts hurting. I guess I am more comfortable laying.. But then I toss and turn.. Geesh good question! Sounds like I need a new body!

GriffsMommy
04-24-2008, 07:02 AM
I personally have problems with both. This is one of the reasons that I know I can't go back to work. I however like BrittanysDance have PNE in addition to IC. In order to sit for any length of time I pretty much have to sit on my hip instead of my butt. If I actually do sit on my butt mabye 20 to 30 minutes is my tops unless it's a really super cushy chair. But it doesn't bother my bladder it bothers my PNE.
I have about the same time limit with standing though too, about 20-30 minutes. Any longer than that then my lower back starts hurting as well as my pelvis and when both of those hurt it caues my bladder to flare. I can't win either way. Any time that I have to walk for a period of time like going grocery shopping and running errands is always sure to put me in a flare and make me exhausted at the same time each time I do it. Since I'm the one at home now though it makes more sense for me to do the shopping and then I just have to rest up alot afterwards.
This should be an interesting pole. I must say before my PNE showed up then it was harder for me to stand cause of the IC than sit but I also never sit for very long without getting up to go potty, lol.

elitynski
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Definitely Sitting (and laying down).

ICNDonna
04-26-2008, 03:32 AM
I can sit for a long time if the chair is comfortable. I can also walk. What irritates me most is standing still or walking very slowly.

Donna

some_guy
04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
For me sitting is often very uncomfortable. I am a computer programmer so I sit a lot but often just have to stand up and work. I usually stand and look silly at the doctors office because the chairs in waiting room are so hard.

Walking is also usually very very uncomfortable because I have testicle pain. I catch myself walking funny or slow and correct it the best I can so the rest of the world does not notice

strobers
04-29-2008, 08:24 AM
For me sitting is often very uncomfortable. I am a computer programmer so I sit a lot but often just have to stand up and work. I usually stand and look silly at the doctors office because the chairs in waiting room are so hard.

Walking is also usually very very uncomfortable because I have testicle pain. I catch myself walking funny or slow and correct it the best I can so the rest of the world does not notice

You should join the chronicprostititis web site. If you are getting deferred pain, it's could be because of pelvic floor issues and the majority of guys on the board have them to one degree or another. I recommend you check it out.

some_guy
04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks, I might do that.

reesiegirl
04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Mine also is sitting, I prefer to stand. What helps me out alot is that me and my husband run a swine operation of 12000 hogs and my job is to make sure the barns when empty (which is every 180 days) are cleaned from top to bottom with a power washer. So between the power washer and hopping gates all day it definably keeps the pain to a limit so far. But when I'm not working I do a lot of walking about 3 or 4 miles a day to keep things tolerable.

ABliske
04-29-2008, 10:29 AM
The IC is worst when I am walking. I have to walk very slow and not do any boucing movements. When I am sitting the pain is still there and I am having really bad back pain being 7 months pregnant. I think laying down in the best for me!

crkshnks79
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Dear Strobers ,

I was wondering that myself ? In general I think I have more pain when I sit ... But Im not sure if Im just noticing it more when its only mild pain ? I do feel better when I lay down . And Its hit or miss w standing if Im in severe pain then forget it I cant stand period and when I try I usually fall back to my knees

justice4j
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
...although I have a chair for the computer that is a huge office type chair. I can change positions often and it's not bad. Lying down is best and when I'm flaring the worst is walking or any jarring movement. My SO is a tall big guy and he forgets sometimes and plops down on the couch next to me and it kills! Bumpy roads hurt too.

Briza
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, Thats a tough one. I sit for awhile I seem to start hurting in my tail bone so I get up and walking and my legs/thighs start burning, so I stand for awhile then my lower back starts hurting. I guess I am more comfortable laying.. But then I toss and turn.. Geesh good question! Sounds like I need a new body!

Could've written that myself, but since leelee did I won't :)

snowgirl
04-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Interesting those of you at desk jobs agree sitting makes the IC worse. For me as an RN and I remember Babs RN also telling a younger RN that standing and walking the corridors of the hallways made her flare. IT did the same exact thing for me. It made me flare and made my IC worse. That's why after one year off of work my IC is better is it from not standing in one spot or walking. In nursing we spend the whole 10 -12 hours shifts on your feet. Those 8 hour shift days are long gone. I can't do 12 hours so if I was ever to return to nursing it would have to be out of the hospital as nowdays majority of the hospitals are 12 hours. You are lucky to get 10 hour shifts and I would say after the 9th hour I was draggin not only physically but mentally as well.

Vicky

ouch_a_lot
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Im wondering: if people say sitting is worse for them, are they referring to pelvic pain or other pain?

My bladder really suffers when I sit. I mean really suffers and burns really really bad.

How is everyone at the moment, strobers, alex etc etc? Not much activity from the guys in a while.

I still havent cracked something that works for me, I might go back to the diet as I only managed about three weeks of trying.

:cussing:

strobers
08-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Im wondering: if people say sitting is worse for them, are they referring to pelvic pain or other pain?

My bladder really suffers when I sit. I mean really suffers and burns really really bad.

How is everyone at the moment, strobers, alex etc etc? Not much activity from the guys in a while.

I still havent cracked something that works for me, I might go back to the diet as I only managed about three weeks of trying.

:cussing:

Hey Ouch,

I've been working on getting myself well, but I made the mistake of eating something I shouldn't have (a carmel apple) and have been in a week long flare. I've had to go back on my Elavil and I may have to go back on the Klonopin too. I'm dealing with the constant feeling of needing to pee again. I can hold it for two or three hours, but even after I go it feels like I never went. It's the most maddening feeling.

I think that even before I ate the apple I was slipping back into my symptoms. I started that protocol I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago, but I think that all of the different supplements, coupled with the ingredients in the shake, really screwed me up.

Right now I'm just eating veggies and water. I wish I could just eat whatever I want, but I have to get it through my head that even when I feel pretty good, inside I'm still a mess and should continue to eat the right kind of foods.

I'm trying to have the attitude of Eat to Live NOT Live to Eat.

Big difference.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing pain when you sit. I sit in a wooden chair with a hole in the middle, so my pain is generally bearable. Maybe you should modify a chair in a similar fashion and see if it helps you.

S