PDA

View Full Version : Detergents & yeast infections

Missmissy
03-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I was wondering if there is any link to laundry detergent and yeast infections.
I haven't had a yeast infection in a long time until a couple of weeks ago. And boy was it a dosy! The only thing I can think of that I have done differently is changed to Gain laundry detergent and fabric softener. I got it cleared up and low and behold yesterday I have the makings of yet another yeast infection! I have taken a diflucan. I am going to switch back to my All Free & Clear detergent and wash everything again including my bedsheets.

Has anyone else had a problem with detergents?

Melissa

Tracie
03-28-2008, 02:47 AM
I use all free and clear also. Gain was the worse for me. I don't think it cause yeast with me, but I remember being very sensitive to it. I can't use any fabric softeners either.

lisabar36
03-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Hi, I am very sensitive to detergents but they did not cause yeast for me, just alot of irritation. I use tide free, and I use the bounce free of dyes and perfume dryer sheets on all my clothes. :) Lisa

SharonA
03-28-2008, 03:51 AM
I honestly don't know the answer to your question. What I do know is that these things might cause problems with IC. It would probably be a good idea not to use these things for awhile and see if you still have problems with yeast. It would also be a good idea to ask a doctor about this.

lisabar36
03-28-2008, 04:01 AM
I have a great tip for yeast infections. Maybe this will help. I used to get them years ago all the time!!!!!!!! My doctor told me, after showering or bathing, take the hair dryer on the coolest low setting and dry yourself down there with the dryer on cool, so I started doing this and I have not had an infection since. The only time I may get a problem is if I am on an antibiotic. I would change your detergent also, but this may be a good tip to help you get rid of it. :)

ICNDonna
03-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Detergents and soaps can definitely be a problem, but they shouldn't cause yeast. It's possible that what you have is some irritation from soap. You really need to see your doctor to verify that it's yeast.

Donna

Katrina
03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't know about a yeast connection there but sensitivies sure make a lot of sense. Are you sure it is yeast?? You may have yeast like symptoms from other things. you should get checked. Hope you feel better soon!

Missmissy
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Thank you ladies for the replies. I stopped on my way home from work today and bought some All Free & Clear. I couldn't find any dryer sheets that was safe to use though. I guess I will just have to have rough feeling clothes! LOL
I have washed my underwear in extra hot water and ran them through the extra rinse cycle too. It can't hurt I am sure. The irratation and itching is better too.

Thanks again for the quick replies,
Melissa

A.J.
03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Melissa,
Thanks for your post! I have chronic yeast issues and I use Tide. I think I'm going to switch now because I can see how it would be an irritant. Where do you get Free and Clear...at a regular grocery or do you have to go to a natural grocer? Thanks again.

Missmissy
03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
You can find All Free & Clear at Wal-Mart or even the Family Dollar store.
Tide is a no no for skin irritation for me and my Mom as well. It would make my skin all over my body itch. It was too strong. I should have known that is it did my skin that way then Gain could do my you know what that way. :-)
I have washed everything in the house including my Bedspread!
I am glad I was of some help to someone else as well.

Melissa

Angeles
03-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I wash amy sheets and other things with regular Tide with bleach, but when I wash my underwear I use "All clear"' I wash it with hot water, then rinse 2-3 times until all the soap is gone. while I'm rinsing I splash some white vinegar (yeah... it is like a project). Only 100% cotton undies.
Probiotics are a must.
No refined sugars, low cabr diet (no carb is too much I think)
If you can handle a walk after your eat that should lower teh sugar peak.
Skirts and dresses too. Good the summer is coming so I can wear more skirts and dresses.
Also keep the area dry as possible although I have found that if you have yeast you need to protect your vestibular skin with something like a barrier (i.e A&D ointment)

lisabar36
03-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi, I use the tide free, its free of dye and perfumes, I LOVE it, it never irritates me, I can't use regular tide. I buy my tide at walmart, target, or the grocery store. I did try the all and even though it said free of dyes it still bothered me, made me itchy down there and irritated me. I also get the bouce dryer sheets free of perfumes and dyes, and I use them also. :) Lisa