PDA

View Full Version : Taco Bell

javone77
02-24-2008, 03:27 AM
I am not holding out any kind of hope.....but has anyone found that they can tolerate anything from taco bell? what about any other mexican restaraunts? I want a TACO! lol any recipe ideas?

Laura78
02-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Oh I know, I'd kill for a taco, burrito or enchilada! And unfortunately, no I haven't really found anything much. One thing I can say is that I've often referred to Taco Bell as "Toxic Hell." For me, eating anything there in the past also upset my IBS. My mother, who has IBS & Fibro. can't eat there either.

Back in Oct., I did a Cowgirl/Western theme for my daughter's 3rd b-day party. I made a layer dip, that I *very* cautiously consumed small portions of & didn't have any problems. Although, I was not in a flare at the time.

Basically, you get an 8X8 pan (glass, if possible) & layer the following ingredients from bottom to top:
- refried beans
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese (cheddar, but use munster if you want to be extra cautious)
- diced tomatoes (fresh, not canned)
- black olives

A lot of people put taco seasoning in the sour cream and/or salsa mixed w/ the beans, but there is no way I would try that. I also picked out the tomatoes. I did add a little garlic salt to the beans.

Serve w/ your preferred corn chips.

snowgirl
02-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Taco Bell I know the craving. I have a major flare if I eat taco bell it will start that night. I just usually would get the soft or hard shell tacos and that would do it. VIcky

redhead43234
02-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Have you tryed eating it with Prelief? I can eat some mexican food as long as I take two prelief before hand.

snowgirl
02-24-2008, 04:37 AM
no but sure would like to try some prelief with Quedoba . Vn

Claredale
02-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I have pretty much always been able to eat Taco Bell. I only eat tacos with no cheese and pintos and cheese. I also eat at other Mexican restuarants, but avoid spicy foods. Normally taco salad with no cheese or tomatoes. I don't like cheese. The place I go to knows my food "allergies".

kdw
02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
I have found that I can tolerate crunchy tacos, soft tacos, pintos and cheese, nachos, and cinnamon twists from Taco Bell. I can't eat there very often, but occasionally I can. If I eat there too much, my body will tell me.

As far as other Mexican food at restaurants, I avoid menu items with tomatoes and focus on the cheese-based meals. I can usually find cheese covered enchiladas. One of my favorite restaurants serves a really good cheese dip (no tomatoes or salsa mixed in). Once I find something at a Mexican restaurant that I like and tolerate, I seldom deviate from it. You may be able to customize your order by asking them to leave off the pico de gallo or salsa. Chili's restaurant has really good chicken quesadillas (ask to make without onions). I dip them in the black beans that come as a side.

When making Mexican food at home, you can try to find taco seasoning mixes without MSG or other preservatives. This can be difficult so instead I use similar spices to make my own. (I learned this tip from watching 30 Minute Meals with Racheal Ray - she's been a life saver for me regarding cooking for an IC diet!!) She uses ground cumin, chili powder, and cayenne powder as main ingredients for taco seasoning. She maintains that making this kind of food at home and from scratch allows you to control the amount of the ingredients (such as salt) in your food. (And this comes in especially handy for IC'ers who all need to personalize their diets according to their own diet limitations.) Cumin will give you the smoky flavor, without much heat. Chili powder and cayenne will give the heat. If you can't tolerate much spiciness, cut back on the chili powder and cayenne. Other options to add (to personalize it) are: salt, black pepper, ground chipotle pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc. I usually add a little water to ground meat with these spices so it's not so dry as it cooks. It works great!

With this general method, I can make ground meat for tacos or taco-related recipes (taco salad, nachos, etc). I typically top my tacos with lettuce and cheese (try shredded Velveeta if you are particularly sensitive to aged cheeses like Cheddar). Taco meat is really good over crushed tortilla chips, with refried beans, lettuce, cheese. Could even sprinkle with garlic olive oil as a dressing. I have also made spiced chicken for enchiladas, then topped with a velveeta cheese sauce. To be honest, I get a lot of recipe ideas from watching Racheal Ray. I can usually manipulate her recipes to fit my diet. She has a lot of good Mexican recipes!

Good luck!

javone77
02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
you can actually tolerate chili powder and cayenne pepper? I am so nervous to try them! I really want to try taco bell's new fresco menu cause I am doing weight watchers. I watch rachael ray religiously and for some reason always thought cumin was on the no-go list until I went and checked a few days ago. I would like your enchilada recipe though!

kdw
02-26-2008, 04:08 AM
I can tolerate cumin, chili powder, and cayenne powder fairly well. I can also tolerate the other spices I mentioned (onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, etc.) I try not to overdo it with any of these, though. I personally don't like very spicy food.

I can't say whether or not you can tolerate them. I know we all have our own dietary limitations. So if you'd like to try, I'd start with very small quantities of them at first. Maybe try making some ground meat with just one spice at a time to single out any problem spices. Keep a food/voiding diary to help you pinpoint problem spices.

Best of luck!

Claredale
02-26-2008, 05:04 AM
I am the same way with most spices. Citrus is my biggest problem, but as long as my bladder is behaving, I can tolerate much on the food list these days but citrus of course. My main triggers are stress and getting too tired. It took me a while to figure all of this out, but like KDW said, I started out with limited spices. I even marinated chicken breasts in some organic italian dressing the other day. I did take some prelief just in case and drank alot of water, but I had no problems. Now I am going to marinate some steak Sunday after church since my kids are coming home. That means I would have cooked 2 times in 1 week. I told my husband since I am "using" the kitchen, doesn't that mean I can update it now! He didn't fall for it. He also said slice and bake cookies didn't count for when I made dessert for a last minute get together. LOL!

Michelle in KC
02-26-2008, 06:24 AM
I can and DO eat Taco Bell. Ok, so I pay for it later in the evening, but it's sooooooo good.

I recommend looking for "Spanish Gardens" brand taco seasoning. It'll be with the taco shells. Use 1/2 of what they recommend. It's good stuff! I grew up on Spanish Gardens in KC. It's made in KCK if that helps you find it.

mary124
02-26-2008, 06:36 AM
I can eat a few things from Taco Bell-mainly the tacos. There are a few resturants here in town that I can eat at. The cafe at work as long as I stay away from the tomatos, I'm ok. The only fast food place that also serves tacos are Jack in the Box, and I cannot eat theirs.

stacyoigirl
02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I love taco bell! I get the crunch wrap with out meat and tomatoes. I have no trouble when take the prelif with it. Taco Bell is the easiest fast food to do vegetarian. The rice and beans burrito is good, just do not get the sauce on it.

-stacy

Michelle in KC
02-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Just so you all know... I just HAD to go eat Taco Bell last night. It sounded soooooo good after talking about it here online. I only ate 3 crunchy tacos. Not supreme. Yummmmmm. No pain yet.

windchaser
02-27-2008, 08:15 AM
this one is sooo funny because my boyfriend is the manager of taco bell in our town lmao I can eatit sometimes but not alot...

snowgirl
02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Just so you all know... I just HAD to go eat Taco Bell last night. It sounded soooooo good after talking about it here online. I only ate 3 crunchy tacos. Not supreme. Yummmmmm. No pain yet.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Taco Bell post pop up again.
I used to live right by taco bell now the nearest one is I don't even know way up town. I do think Taco Bell is in order I will just use some of your suggestions for my order........ Snowing too much now to go out to Taco Bell. Maybe tomorrow. VN

Claredale
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Taco Bell is a mile from my house and right by where I pick up my prescriptions. Hubby has choir practice tonight, so I may just go through the drive-thru.

Vicky, it was in the 30s today, but back up to 60 tomorrow! Spring is a coming!

snowgirl
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Man everybody is going south of the border to Taco Bell. Do you have in Memphis Quedoba mexican restaurants? Have a safe trip home. Vicky

snowgirl
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Taco Bell is a mile from my house and right by where I pick up my prescriptions. Hubby has choir practice tonight, so I may just go through the drive-thru.

Vicky, it was in the 30s today, but back up to 60 tomorrow! Spring is a coming!

It is like 9 degrees with the wind chill. I told my sister if I am going to have to be on disability living in Michigan in the winter for 5 months at times. I would like to live where it is warm if I have to be on disability forever.

Cabin fever. I have an appt. tomorrow. Hope the roads are not slick. Now that is one thing us Michigan people do know how to do is drive on bad slippery roads. Ok the truth I drive like a Grandma about 15mph.. VIcky

Michelle in KC
02-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Ok, so I HAD to have yet another taco last night. We had to kill time in town so we could pick up Jusitn from choir practice. It's 15 miles from our home to Taco bell (in town). Yummmmm..... Still no pain.

motherof4
02-28-2008, 02:16 AM
I am now dying for Taco Bell ,and will definetly give a try for lunch today it's only 9:15am here and I can't wait till lunch LOL...........

javone77
03-04-2008, 06:43 AM
WOW! Taco Bell should give me some of their profits LOL Who knew my question would spark mass runs for the border! :) I am gonna try the new fresco menu since I am doing weight watchers and we'll see what happens :) Wish me luck! I am a taco bell FANATIC

Claredale
03-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I was just thinking that! lOL!

T83

motherof4
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I had taco bell two days in a row,I got just a plain hard taco and cinnamon twist and had no pain at all I am so excited:smile tee:smile tee:smile tee

MiLynn
03-05-2008, 06:07 AM
I want Taco Bell now! :lmao: Can anyone tolerate the soft shell tacos? I'm not a big fan of hard shells, but I'll try one if they are better tolerated. With prelief, of course :smile tee

Claredale
03-05-2008, 07:03 AM
I eat soft and hard.

GayleK
03-05-2008, 07:06 AM
By plain hard taco do you mean with just the meat? Thanks!

redhead43234
03-05-2008, 07:16 AM
It is like 9 degrees with the wind chill. I told my sister if I am going to have to be on disability living in Michigan in the winter for 5 months at times. I would like to live where it is warm if I have to be on disability forever.

Cabin fever. I have an appt. tomorrow. Hope the roads are not slick. Now that is one thing us Michigan people do know how to do is drive on bad slippery roads. Ok the truth I drive like a Grandma about 15mph.. VIcky

You can move down here to West Texas! It is like 60 degrees outside right now, and we could feed you some REAL Mexican food!

motherof4
03-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I had a hard taco with just meat,lettuce and cheese NO sour cream,tomatoes,or sauce :mad:....But it was still GREAT.....