PDA

View Full Version : How long can you safely wear a tens?

mom_in_ma
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I just got a tens this week and really like it. How long can you safely wear it? I wore it all day today. Is that ok?

callie0767
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
i am new at tens too- my pt told me to wear it for an hour then when i feel the pain returning to put it on again for another hour etc. she said that wearing it too much might nake it less likely to work. i hope this helps.

GriffsMommy
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
I just started using one at my PT appointments. I'm not sure if it's working or not so we haven't decided if I'm going to get one to use at home. She only had it set to 4.5 and it really started to sting and I had to keep turning it down and then finally off after 15 minutes. That's the longest she kept it on me but I only have an hour or so appointment. She has me use the TENS when I'm doing my heat on my back and hips and then takes it off and does the back masage and then my biofeed back.
Where are you placing your electrodes? She's putting mine on my back. I'm wondering if on the front for the bladder would help the bladder more.

Bessie
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I am using mine right now. I have 2 different ones. I have one that has 4 electrodes on it and the other one is a wrap and the electrodes are in the belt wrap. The belt wrap places the electrodes on my back and it is more of a muscle contraction. The other one has 4 electrodes that I can place anywhere. I have them placed on my abdomen and my upper thighs. Sometimes I put them on my back. You just have to try different areas to see what helps the most. I also put them on my back and my Doctor's instructions where to use them as necessary as much as I felt comfortable with them. I think they help and it does help to distract you from the pain....at least for a short time.
I just looked at the names and the one with the 4 electodes is a RS-Tens Plus and the belt wrap one is called Rs Medical RS-2m- Muscle Stimulator.

SandyRN
11-29-2007, 04:43 PM
There are days I wear mine 24/7. Just keep in mind that if you start to lose feeling in the area where the electrodes are you need to change the position at the very least. My back acts up really bad sometimes as I have degenerative disc disease and I couldn't live without my tens some days....don't know how I survived so long without it!

mom_in_ma
11-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone.

Mine is very small and attaches by a clip to my waist. It has four electrodes. Today, I put two down closer to my bladder and two up a bit higher on my abdomon. Honestly, it's the most relief I've had in ages. I wish I'd gotten one months ago. I've got a problem with my pelvic/stomach muscles being too tight (ha, I think we all do!) and I found that no only did it help with the bladder pain, but it relaxed all of those muscles as well. Crossing my fingers that it keeps working. Honestly, I wore it all day.

Claredale
11-30-2007, 03:37 AM
When I first got mine and it was helping, I wore it most of the day. Luckily it was when it was cold, so I wore sweaters to cover it up.

Hope it works for you!

Tracey

Billsbaby
11-30-2007, 04:14 AM
i haven't heard of a time limit for the tens,atleast my pt hasn't said anything about it.i have had mine on all day long sometimes,when i am in a ton of pain,and i've never had a problem.i hope you start to feeling better.jamie

JanL
12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
When I started wearing a tens unit, my PT told me to put two electrodes down near the bladder in the front and two on the lower back. She told me to turn it off for twenty minutes every two hours because after a couple of hours the brain figures out how to decode the signal and it loses its effectiveness. They are wonderful at helping with the pain, but I still love my alpha-stim the best. I can use it for a few minutes and get so much relief and I don't have to constantly have a piece of machine attached to me. Hope your tens helps you a lot. People who do not live with chronic pain just can't understand sometimes how wonderful it is to have just a few minutes without pain.

Janice

ICNDonna
12-02-2007, 02:50 AM
When I wear mine, I wear it all day. The one I have runs for a half hour, then turns itself off for a while, then back on. Nobody every told me there was any limit on time.

Donna