PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Interstim for Spasms..does it help?

armslee
02-24-2007, 04:40 AM
My doctor has been speaking to me about the interstim for almost a year now. He brought it up initially as a "last resort" sort of procedure after trying multiple meds first.

OK, a year and 3 surgeries later we have been down that road. Since my hysterectomy last December, my bladder and urethral spasms have really gone out of control. The only med I can tolerate for them is Klonopin but as we discussed, I cannot stay on this drug permantly. I have always been adament against Interstim but I am looking into long term solutions now.

Has anyone had the Interstim implanted for spasms? My frequency and urgency are controlled now through Elmiron. Pain is still a real problem due to the spasms and severe pfd.

If anyone has any first hand info- please let me know, I would really like to hear from you.

THANKS!!!!!:smile tee

topcop229
02-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Wendi,
As we all hopefully know, the interstim isn't meant specifically for pain. However, I have severe retention and whenever I would go to the bathroom, whether it was on my own OR via cath, I would always have horrific spasms that followed. I have seen a dramatic decrease in the spasms with the trial interstim this past week. I think I've had spasms maybe three or four times all week following a void, and the spasms aren't nearly as strong. I would normally have them after EVERY void. So, in that respect, I have seen a decrease in my post void increase in pain.

Hope this helps you out some in your decision.

tigger_gal
02-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Has anyone had the Interstim implanted for spasms? My frequency and urgency are controlled now through Elmiron. Pain is still a real problem due to the spasms and severe pfd.

As a fellow interstimer, I do not think in "my opinion" that getting the interstim for spasms is a good idea. I still have spasms. I can say that if you have urgency pain, not bladder pain, it is possible for it to help that.
Please ask all the questions you can, and ask your doctor if he has patients you can talk to.

topcop229
02-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I think you are 100% right, tigger. I don't think anyone should get interstim specifically for spasms...I think it's a benefit that COULD happen with interstim, but not one that is specifically intended.

Sarojini
02-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I also think that InterStim for spasms specifically isn't a good idea... when I PM'd you back, I thought that you were having spasms accompanied by frequency/urgency. :(

I know I still have spasms and pain even though my frequency/urgency is down to half of what it was pre-InterStim.

The InterStim stimulates the sacral nerve, which affects bladder and sometimes bowel and uterine FUNCTION -- but spasms and pain are often transmitted to the spinal cord through completely different nerves (pudendal and others). Sometimes as a side effect, stimulation of the sacral nerve can lead to better function of the pelvic floor muscles, but it doesn't always. This is why InterStim isn't really specifically for pain -- it doesn't deal with the right nerves. However, since we're all a little different, sometimes pain relief is a nice side effect, like Claudia said.

deborah bush
02-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Wendi the interstim is not used for pain or spasm's. I had the interstim used for uergency&frerquency. It only helped me 30% and then I had to have redone. Then I started have problems with it and then he did not wont to help me. So I went to a doctor in Miami, fl that took it out and I am doing Botox injection with him know. The botox is really helping me know. Wendi What is Roxicet? Deborah Bush:hi:

armslee
02-26-2007, 08:54 AM
It is an oxycodone. I am taking 30 mg every 4 hrs right now. It has helped with my pain quite a bit while I was off work, but I tell ya, after working all day today, I am hurting ALOT right now and getting ready to go hook up the TENS for my back pain.

I had been taking 15 mg of Roxicet as breakthroughs with the Duragesic. Since I am having so many skin problems with the Duragesic, she wanted me to switch to Oxycontin. I however wanted to explore something else first. So we are trying the increase of Roxicets but, now working again, I don't think that is going to do it for me.

It really is always something.

Texas Baby
02-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Armslee,
When I had my Interstim, I was 98% pain and spasm free. Alot of people don't have that kind of sucess though. I lost mine through an accident though and was no longer a canidate. I eventually had my bladder removed because of endstage IC. But when I had my interstim I had it for almost I had it for almost 3 years. I loved it!
Blessings,
Eva

tigger_gal
02-27-2007, 11:17 AM
omg littleva what kind of accident happened that you lost your interstim? if I am being too nosy let me know ;)