PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Dead Urine..Help!

Angelhrt
11-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Lately my urine has been smelling old as if my bladder is rotting inside. I am not sure if its the Elmiron, but I have been taking it for a while and have never experienced this before. I never smell like anything and I dont get periods anymore due to a uterine hysterectomy; so why do I smell? Whenever I go to the bathroom there is this strange odor coming from my urine. Can I be infected? I dont know. I will see my urologist in December, but should I wait that long before seeing someone? Should I see my gyn? Would she know what to do? I dont know, but does anyone else have this or have experienced this before. I do know that I have vulvodynia just reading up on the symptoms and the pain I feel during sex, which by the way does not happen that often anymore, I just cant take it. But those of you with vulvodynia, please tell me if this is another sign or if maybe I am experiencing another symptom of this IC. Thank you.

Sarojini
11-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Usually, really smelly urine like that suggests infection -- you should probably have it checked out sooner than December. See if you can get in to you GYN for a urine test ASAP.

hollipop
11-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Usually, really smelly urine like that suggests infection -- you should probably have it checked out sooner than December. See if you can get in to you GYN for a urine test ASAP.

I agree. Don't wait until more symptoms arise.

leelee88
11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
when did you have your hysterectomy? just wandering cause my best friend had a vaginal hysterectomy and complains about the same problem.

Angelhrt
11-21-2006, 03:10 AM
I had the hysterectomy 6 years ago during the birth of my son. The placenta had grown and attached itself to my uterus. They tried to save it but I began to hemorrage and lose a lot of blood so they had to take it. I never had this problem up until a few weeks ago. I went to my doctor and had a urine culture and it came back negative. I believe that it usually does it after I have had sex with my husband; and then it stops after about three days. After the advice of the board, I went to my doctor yesterday and although she was out sick, they allowed me to come in and have another urine culture done. So I am just waiting to hear back now. The smell has gone now because I havent done anything with my husband since Friday. I hated it too. I dont want to have sex anymore. Is there a cure for this vulvodynia???

Moonheart
11-21-2006, 05:50 AM
I have the same problem and it developed after my hysterectomy. I have issues with it even without having sex, but it was far worse after sex. Any kind.

there are so many symptoms that I have had over the years that I didn't put together with each other. Now I realize that they were all THIS, just varying degrees and in increasing severity. I wish I'd had this board 20 years ago.

Angelhrt
11-21-2006, 05:56 AM
So do you think that it is just another symptom of the vulvodynia?? :confused:

Moonheart
11-21-2006, 06:00 AM
Honestly I have no idea. I think it's a symptom of the IC range of illnesses. Which one in particular I don't know.

I know that before my husband got hurt, I would have burning with semen and be literally frantic to clean up afterwards. (TMI) So it just seems that over the years this disease has presented itself in different ways and in varying degrees of severity, waxing and waning.

I have got to the point sadly enough where I don't miss sex and am relieved that the pressure is off in that area. I had problems from the very beginning, with "honeymooner's cystitis" or whatever it was called, from day one.

Angelhrt
11-21-2006, 06:17 AM
My gosh, this thing is like a transformer just changing as it goes along. I cannot wait until I see my uro in December because now if I hold my pee for just a few minutes, I start to lose urine. That is scary and I want it to stop. Fortunately, my husband is beginning to understand the severity of how I feel during sex and he has not touched me or will hold off with touching me as long as he could; we actually narrowed sex down to once a week. But he doesnt touch me even intimately, which is making me feel really badly lately. I asked him if everything is ok and he says yes, he is just trying to get used to this new change and it is hard for him so he feels better not to even start himself up. Maybe semen is a flare starter. It does have a lot of hormones in it, and maybe what they have in their diets transfers into us during sex and I dont know I am just guessing, but it definitely makes sense if you think about it.

ICNDonna
11-21-2006, 06:24 AM
There are several things that can cause a strong urine odor. Infection is a major cause, but it can also be from not drinking enough water, from not completely emptying your bladder when you urinate, or even from some foods. It could also be that the odor is from semen or from your own gland secretions. It's definitely something your doctor needs to track down.

Donna

Angelhrt
11-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Well I certainly drink enough water. But I will go with the semen and even the fact that my bladder does not empty all the way when I go. I still feel like my bladder is full even after I am done going to the bathroom and interestingly enough, I was on the phone with a friend of mine the other day and went to use the bathroom and just sat there while talking to her and in 5 minutes I went at least 3 different times, but did not know that it was coming, it just came out, so I sat there and continued to count how many times I went just sitting there. So I figure if I just go and sit on the toilet for about 10 minutes, I might just empty it all out. It wasnt as if it was a lot either, it was a little at a time.:toilet:

Moonheart
11-21-2006, 06:37 AM
I have that as well. I have got to where I won't go all day, I refuse, of course that increases my pain. But if I do go to the bathroom, I will go and then try to empty more and I am able to do that several times. I've sat there until my butt went numb.

I know that the morphine I am on is what enables me to hold it longer. Because when I was off of it that weekend, I was in the bathroom every 20 minutes. So I can easily conceive that I would have been in the bathroom about 30 times minimum. :(

Angelhrt
11-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Lately, I have found that when I hold it I began to lose urine. It just starts to come out on its own, little by little of course, but I have to now where panty liners. Thank God it isnt depends.:bow:

Moonheart
11-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Me too. Only I've gone with the depends in a desperate moment. I don't have laundry facilities so I figured I'd save myself a step with the depends. But I can't stand them. Too sweaty and itchy. Yuck.:loco:

Angelhrt
11-21-2006, 07:09 AM
I think that when I go on vacation, because we usually drive hours to our destination, I will have to use them instead of having to stop every hour. I just cant get over the fact that I have to pee on myself, I just dont want to do that. What happens if it doesnt hold? I dont want to smell either.:tsk:

Moonheart
11-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Yes, this is a humiliating disease.:help:

sami4
11-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Vulvadynia has nothing to do with the urine smelling. Lots of ICers report that their urine smells like a dead mouse! Urine will also smell if you eat asparagus and vitamins also can change the smell. I think Elmiron also makes it smell a little different.
Sounds like you could possible have a little bladder prolapse going on, check with your Gyno when you have a pelvic or the Uro could look up there and tell you also. If you had a hysto 6 years ago you might also just need estrogen vaginally as that sometimes helps a lot.
A lot of the pain with sex is actually coming from the pelvic floor and physical therapy really helps this a lot. Ask whoever you see with the vulvadynia about this as it may make a difference for you.
And I think semen smells regardless of how wonderful the guys think it is.
Sammie

ICNDonna
11-24-2006, 02:34 AM
When we travel, we do stop every hour routinely.

Please talk with your doctor about your incontinence. You need to find out what's going on. I had a stress incontinence problem several years ago and had minor surgery as an outpatient, which resolved the issue. It was really worth it.

Donna

Trishann
11-24-2006, 04:54 AM
I am glad you will see your doctor. With the urine smell, that may be an infection if it has a fishy smell. But with me, if it has an ammonia smell, it's because I'm not drinking enough water. I start drinking water and the smell stops. Hope you start feeling better.

Trishann

Angelhrt
11-27-2006, 07:23 AM
After the advice of you all, I went to my gyno and had a urine culture done. It came back just fine. The urine smell has also disappeared. This is the second time this happened and nothing was found in my urine. I think that it happens when I am on my make-believe-period. Since I do not have a period anymore, but still have the symptoms, (cramping, unusual discharge) this causes me to smell. It only lasts about two to three days and I am back to normal again. But this has just occurred twice out of the 6 years without a period that is why it worried me. Why all of a sudden? I have to see my uro in December for the first time, boy am I going to have 20 million problems for him to work on.