PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Trilyte:

judyr
11-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I turned 50 this year so went for the obligatory colonoscopy. They gave me that gross solution to drink (Trilyte) to clear my system before the test. First of all it didn't work, and second of all it took me out of a year of IC remission and back into stress and pain. (TriLyte™ is a white powder for reconstitution containing 420 g polyethylene glycol 3350, 5.72 g sodium bicarbonate, 11.2 g sodium chloride, 1.48 g potassium chloride. Flavor packs, each containing 3.22 g of flavoring ingredients, are attached to the 4 liter bottle. See individual flavor packs for complete listing of ingredients. When dissolved in water to a volume of 4 liters, TriLyte™ with flavor packs (PEG-3350, sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and potassium chloride for oral solution) is an isosmotic solution, for oral administration, having a pleasant mineral water taste. One flavor pack can be added before reconstitution to flavor the solution. TriLyte™ with flavor packs is administered orally or via nasogastric tube as a gastrointestinal lavage.) I don't know which ingredient was the culprit, but my advice is, don't take it!

Trishann
11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Judy, I had a colonoscopy done about 4 years ago but they told me to get this stuff from Wal-Mart, it is in a green bottle. It did not hurt my bladder as for as I can remember. But was told to drink two bottles but I could only do one. I try the second bottle and I kept vomiting it up. I try but the doctor insist two, so I waited for about an hour or so, but still couldn't keep it down. But this might not happen to you, if you have to do this again, maybe you can ask your doctor about it.

My stomach is so sensitive, I can't even keep NyQuil down. But again you might profit trying the stuff in the green bottle. Sorry I forgot the name of it.

Hopefully others can also give you advice about it.

Hope next time, they will let you try something else.
Hugs, Trishann

Freckles
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi guys,
I have had two colonoscopies because colon cancer is rampant in my family. I am supposed to have them every three years. The first one was terrible trying to get all that liquid down. Just as my stomach settled from drinking the first glassfull, it was time to drink another. I waited 5 years to have my next test because of the horrible memories of the first one. The second one was great. I had to drink one glass of something and take laxatives. It was awesome. I will never do it the first way again. I'm not sure what they call what I did the second time but it wasn't bad at all.
Karen

mary124
11-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Trishann:

I think I know what you mean, as I had to have a colonscopy earlier this year. The stuff in the green bottle is from Fleet - its 4oz each and you have to drink 2 of them (mix it with other liquids 8 hours apart- awful stuff!) but its better than the other stuff that I used the last time. (can't remember what it was though).

Trishann
11-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Mary, I do believe that is the stuff you are talking about. I did wait in between time, but when the time came, I could not keep it down. My husband call the doctor and said wait another hour and if you still can't keep it down, wait for another hour. I did this but then I stop, it wasn't going to happen. My doctor said that the test (might) can't be done, but I can't help what my stomach won't stay down. But everything was fine. The test was done with no problems.

What Judy is talking about must be even more horrible and the other stuff you are talking about. Why this stuff have to be horrible? It seems like they could come up with something that is not so harsh.

Hugs, Trishann