PDA

View Full Version : having to push to pee?

waterflow
10-12-2006, 06:57 AM
On and off for a little while I will have to push to get it started and then sometimes nothing happens. Just wondering if this is part of IC? Asked my doc for a cath just incase sometime I can't go at all.

tbokay
10-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I have that sensation often and I've been told my bladder muscle isn't strong enough to start the flow if there is more than 200cc .. so I try to relax but if that doesn't work I do self-cath cuz straining does more harm than good for me.

SandyRN
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
This happens to me all the time. One of the worst things you can do is strain to push the urine out. It can cause more damage than it's worth just to get empty at the time. I take a book, yes, a book, in the bathroom with me if I feel like I can't go...run the water, shift positions, use a squirt bottle on your perineum, concentrate on letting those muscles relax...eventually it will come. I know we don't always have that much time just to pee, but those things do work! :)

Sandy

waterflow
10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I won't push next time. I tried relaxing as much as I could but it felt like things were going to flow and then nothing. Not a drip. Sure is a weird feeling. :rolleyes: I'll just cath next time .

Sandy this is a stupid question but where is the perineum? I thought I had learned what everything was called down there. :bonk:

SandyRN
10-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Basically it's the area 'down there' or the area between the vagina and rectum ...just make sure you squirt water from 'front to back' to prevent infections.

MsB
10-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I have this problem all the time, it really bothers me @ night when I have to get up at least four/five times. I'm not complaining any more, I did have to go every hour on the hour before I started taking trazadone. What's driving me crazy, is the leaking bladder:help: I'm sure there are others that have this same problem. I cant go w/o a liner( I really need a depend). I find it very embarrashing. I know things happen with age, and with us having children, but, I feel like a eighty year-old at 49. And I really have to watch the hygeine, how can you feel sexy and desirable with all of this.:confused: :confused:

MsB in Alabama

sami4a
10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
The Urology book I am reading says the correct pee position is to lean forward slightly and rest arms on front of legs, then relax and let the rectum kind of relax down. I am doing this now and do think it helps with stream and emptying. I was sitting on the pot slightly leaning back or very straight.
Book also said to stand up and sit down and lean forward again if you think you are not empty. It is very easy at the Uros office to pee and have them check you with a Ultrasound, you could ask for it.
So-their is a pee position-who knew?
Sammie

Mel53H
10-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Funny! I have never read this Urology book and have done these things for years. It is just something that I have figured out myself. One day as I was going pee I bent down to pick something up and noticed a bigger stream coming out. Then I figured out that standing up right after I have urinated makes more urine come up, so I do the up and down thing too. It is so funny. It is like doing exercises. Bend over, stand up, sit down. repeat.

sami4a
10-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Yah, we Ic'ers get inventive. Probably some Uro saw a patient do this and then had his/her ureka moment?
Sammie

SrMaggie
10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I am so amazed everytime I read something that tells what is good to try and I've already been doing it. Instinct plays a big part I think.

ICNDonna
10-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't read in the bathroom, but I always have a crossword puzzle there. :) It's never good to strain to urinate. It will only make it worse.

Donna

dhoffer
11-09-2006, 01:24 PM
MsB
I have been reading the boards trying to find someone else that has the same problem as me with leaking urine. I so completely understand how you feel about feeling gross. As bad as the pain can be sometimes I think I could learn to live with it if I could get rid of the leakage. I hate not being able to do anything when I'm having it. I wear pads all the time. I dont swim with my kids anymore. I have to limit what I do alot of the time. Work is getting more and more difficult. The flowing urine makes me crazy. I sometimes feel like I dont know how I can get thru another day.

If anyone has any suggestions for me to get it to stop please let me know.

thanks
Dawn

ICNDonna
11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Dawn, have you discussed your leaking with your urologist? If not, I suggest you do --- it could be something that can be fixed. I know my problem was fairly easily remedied with surgery and a one-night hospital stay.

Donna

mary124
11-10-2006, 02:48 AM
i have been having this problem lately, I don't push or strain as that is the worse thing you can do, but someone did tell me a few weeks ago to lean forward and then if you feel like you have to go still, get up a little bit, and then sit back down and you should be able to go again. (it does help) of course, at 3:00 in the morning you forget these things!!. What irritates me is that i have the feeling and all to go and then when i get there nothing comes out!

dhoffer
11-10-2006, 03:38 AM
ICDonna,

hi, Thanks for the post. My uro does know about the leakage. In April I had the monarch sling surgery done. For about ten days it was wonderful. No leakage, not alot of pain. Than it all started again. I went back to writing down everything I eat and drink to see if its my diet. I am also going to start checking closer into it being triggered by my period. About 10-15 days after I start my period it will get really heavy. The uro says if it is hormonal that there isnt anything he can do to help me. That was crushing. I am going to keep reading as much as I can to see if I can find anything else. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
thanks
Dawn