PDA

View Full Version : Metamucil

Sandra
07-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Hi there -

I've been taking Metamucil (Orange flavor). Well it flared my IC and I'm guessing it's from the orange (citric) flavor. Does anyone know if they make an unflavored brand? I haven't seen it. Did anyone else have this problem?

Thank you.

Sandy

kadi
07-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm using plain Benefiber (the powder),no colorants or preservatives, just guar gum. That's really helping me. (I'm starting out at 1 tsp, which is 1/3 the regular dose).

vivig14
07-30-2006, 06:46 AM
this has essentially cured my IBS. i take one per day (though they recommend more), this did it for me. metamucil makes 'em, but generics work just as good for me. also shredded wheat cereal with milk (i take lactaid, too) seems to get my system back in working order after a bout with either diarhea or constipation. good luck.

Sandra
07-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Yep............guess I'm going to have to try the other stuff you recommended. I just bought the biggest container of Metamucil they sell. LOL! Are those pysillium tablets sold over the counter? I'm guessing they are. I'll try anything. Senokat did not work for me. Metamucil is so, so. Somedays are good, most days are bad........................Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm going to try the shredded wheat also. Have a good day!

Sandy

Silverfern
08-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I buy psyllium (which is what Metamucil is without any additives) from my Health Store and take one teaspoon daily in water. It's worked wonders for my IBS. I find the finely ground stuff preferable to the more flaky variety. It works out cheaper than Metamucil too.

Hugs

SLP53ICIB
08-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes I found citrucelle to be bad for me. Plain metamucil worked better-but they don't have it everywhere..had to get it at the drugstore. I have also tried the Acaia fiber from Heather Van Dorous. It's not gritty and is easier to swallow. But it is expensive. I also take acidolphilus every day. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I can eat without an "incident" happening. I still have a lot of questions about food even though I have read some books on IBS. I guess it's just hard to give up favorite food. And who knows when they get up whether they are going to have a real stressful day! Also good are teas-chamomile, catnip, fennel. Peppermint is supposed to be good but it bothers my bladder.

Best wishes and God Bless.
Susan

icnmgrjill
08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Remember what Heather said in our IBS lecture this summer. Psyllium and Metamucil are NOT the best supplements to take when you have IBS because they are 1/3 insoluble fiber... and that can trigger problems. The secret is to take a totally soluble fiber... preferably acacia fiber or benefiber.... which will not irritate your bowel or your bladder. I've been using the Heathers Acacia Fiber for about three months and, wow, what a difference. No more cramping and much more normal bowel movements...

We sell the acacia fiber in our shop at: http://www.icnshop.com

Jill