PDA

View Full Version : white floaties in urine

enk11
07-24-2006, 08:00 AM
HI all

I went to the GYN today for the ol yearly check up and gave up a urine sample. there were these white floaty things in there, kinda looked flakey, like skin. I also noticed a red dot. what could this be? (slightly freaked out at the moment)

thanks for the imput

Enk

talksick
07-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi,
It could be pus...which could indicate an infection.
Kim

tkdrew
07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
I have that trouble all the time. My doctor finally decided that it was my bladder lining. Some flakes are normal but mine would be in little white balls. It hurts like kidney stones. If you gave a sample, you must not have an infection or the doctor would tell you (hopefully). The elmiron has helped some. Good luck!!

enk11
07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
thanks guys!

Tk, what do you mean when you say some flakes are normal? do you mean ICer normal or normal normal?

Thanks

tkdrew
07-24-2006, 10:26 AM
My mom says she has the white floaties and has never been diagnosed with any bladder problems. All my doctor said was that it was normal. Whatever "normal" means. I don't think anyone knows what that is anymore :smile tee

Mel53H
07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
I noticed the 'white floaties' the last time I gave a urine sample. I have given many urine samples before and there never has been any floaties before. Interesting! They did a culture that time and I ended up having a UTI.

glassd18
07-24-2006, 11:24 AM
I have had white floaties. Thought this was a natural by product of our urine.

glassd18
07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey I did a search on "particles in urine" and came up with quite a few results. Here's one of them:

I'm a 26 year old female in otherwise good health. For the last week I have had visible white particles in my urine and the feeling (urge) to urinate. Oftentimes when urinating it feels as if my bladder is not quite empty. I went to the dr. and showed neg. test result for UTI. He was not too interested after this result. What could this be??

Thanks...
Forum-M.D.-KYP
03/28/2004
Ati_Sera

Various forms of vaginosis (i.e. bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, or trichinella) can cause a vaginal discharge that may have gotten into the urine, resulting in the white particles. A pelvic examination as well as a wet prep of the discharge can rule out these causes.

If the urge to urinate continues, you may want to consider a repeat of the urinalysis and possible antibiotic therapy. If the tests continue to be not revealing, a urology referral can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

holles
07-24-2006, 02:33 PM
i get sediment in my urine from time to time. sometimes i'll have white floaty things that look like strips of tissue paper. others i'll have black chunks (old blood from the bladder according to a former urologist). but i never have infections. cultures always come back normal, even the time i had so much sediment in my sample that my ob/gyn took it and showed another dr because it was so unusual. :rolleyes:

talk to your dr though and have a culture to rule out any infection. just in case.

amber83
07-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I also have those floaties. I have always noticed these in my urine. They are thin flakey strips.
Sounds like its normal particals, alot of us have them.
Hope this helps, Amber

redfearn
07-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi there--I also have the "white floaties" in my urine and
my Dr. said this was skin flora (natural in everyone's urine)--but who knows it may be something else.:hi:

enk11
07-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Hi thanks for all the imput guys!!:) i guess it could be nothing or it could be somethng..like always..lol. I dont think it is an infection because i am not feeling any worse. glad im not alone with the white floaties...will let you know what the doc says next week.

Julie B
07-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I have the little white things that look like bits of skin too. I asked about it and also was told it was normal...but when I get it, I usually feel better for a few days...maybe it is the healthy bladder tissue pushing the old away?

One day, the day after my 40th birthday party...after I had a few drinks...and I was still in denial about alcohol bothering me, I was in excruciating pain. I actually had to ride in a car across the state to see my daughter in a concert at a music camp. I thought I was going to die. Finally, I went to the bathroom and it was like giving birth, the cramping was horrible.......and the toilet water was filled with the little floaty things. The great thing was that I felt SO much better....it was almost like the little bits of skin were irritating my bladder and urethra and when they passed, I was fine. I still wonder to this day if I burned my bladder with the alcohol, like someone does with a sunburn. Hard to say.

I do think we examine our urine more than other people. :rolleyes:

hollipop
07-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Since I've been on long-term antibiotics, the floaties stopped. I think it was infection and/or yeast. jmho

ICNDonna
07-26-2006, 02:21 AM
Those little flake-looking things are normal. By normal, I mean that anyone, IC or not, will sometimes have them. We notice them because we pay attention to our urine. People with healthy bladders usually wouldn't notice them at all.

Donna