PDA

View Full Version : Milk Of Magnesia!! I can't Believe This!

ICPrincess
07-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm one of those people who firmly believe that alot of my IC flares are due to irritable bowel problems (not just my bladder although that certainly plays a part). I notice that my flares seem to come at a time that I have had to strain while trying to go to the bathroom, have constipation or severe diarrhea (sorry to be a little graphic here but there aren't prettier words for this..lol).

I started to notice a very strong connection between my bad IC days and my IBS. I have tried colace, Senekot, Metamucil and all kinds of stuff and I either get horrible cramping and explosiveness or nothing at all.

I went to a few IBS forums around the internet and was stunned to find all these people saying that good ole Milk Of Magnesia was the best thing you could use. That it does not give you cramping and pain and that it works within a few hours with no side effects. The funny thing was that I had always seen those stupid old commercials and knew the name but never tried it before...ever! I thought no way could it be that simple but there were so many messages from everyone on this. I bought some and was stunned to find that they are absolutely correct. Not only did it work within a few hours, but I had no pain or cramping like the other stuff. I asked my doctor and although they do not necessarily recommend you take a laxative every day, if you have constant problems with constipation (which is an IC person's greatest enemy) then this would be the safest one to use everyday. If you were using massive doses it would not be but I told him that I only use a half a dose (half of the little cup they provide and they say you can use a full one a couple of times a day) and that was all I needed. I used very little and it worked wonders! Hew told me that if I got by on just half a dose, it may be ok to do this until I get regular or if it's all that works. I was elated. I know that magnesium can even be a little soothing to us when we are having out periods so I was fine with this.

Just wanted to share this because I notice I feel better when I am regular and the IC flares are not as bad.

Wondering if anyone else had this experience or tried this in place of all the other crap out there. If you look around at many of the IBS forums, you will find a great many swearing by this stuff. I feel like an idiot for never trying it before.

kadi
07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi there,
I do use Milk of Magnesia occasionally when my usual methods fail. My doctor told me not to take it regularly, just for occasional use & told me to take Colace daily. I don't know why, maybe someone else does.

I usually take Colace twice a day with meals (Colace works much better when taken with the meal.) This has been ok, not great, but ok. I still have IBS "flares". (Just what I need-dueling flares) Fibercon was worse than nothing, made the constipation completely miserable...

I just tried Benefiber this week, based on reading about it on Heather VanVorous's website (it's less expensive than the acacia fiber which is her first choice). I only tried it 2 days, so it remains to be seen if it's helpful long term. Am hoping it's helpful, the soluble fiber is supposed to be good for IBS (hoping to get more stability, less "flares") and it's also supposed to be good for cholesterol levels...

Thanks for your post! Having both problems really is a hassle, hopefully we'll get some good suggestions or explanations on here.

jah
07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Ditto to everything you said...exact same experience with me...so simple--but yet so effective...seems physicians should look at the "whole" body, and not just the parts...

I'm one of those people who firmly believe that alot of my IC flares are due to irritable bowel problems (not just my bladder although that certainly plays a part). I notice that my flares seem to come at a time that I have had to strain while trying to go to the bathroom, have constipation or severe diarrhea (sorry to be a little graphic here but there aren't prettier words for this..lol).

I started to notice a very strong connection between my bad IC days and my IBS. I have tried colace, Senekot, Metamucil and all kinds of stuff and I either get horrible cramping and explosiveness or nothing at all.

I went to a few IBS forums around the internet and was stunned to find all these people saying that good ole Milk Of Magnesia was the best thing you could use. That it does not give you cramping and pain and that it works within a few hours with no side effects. The funny thing was that I had always seen those stupid old commercials and knew the name but never tried it before...ever! I thought no way could it be that simple but there were so many messages from everyone on this. I bought some and was stunned to find that they are absolutely correct. Not only did it work within a few hours, but I had no pain or cramping like the other stuff. I asked my doctor and although they do not necessarily recommend you take a laxative every day, if you have constant problems with constipation (which is an IC person's greatest enemy) then this would be the safest one to use everyday. If you were using massive doses it would not be but I told him that I only use a half a dose (half of the little cup they provide and they say you can use a full one a couple of times a day) and that was all I needed. I used very little and it worked wonders! Hew told me that if I got by on just half a dose, it may be ok to do this until I get regular or if it's all that works. I was elated. I know that magnesium can even be a little soothing to us when we are having out periods so I was fine with this.

Just wanted to share this because I notice I feel better when I am regular and the IC flares are not as bad.

Wondering if anyone else had this experience or tried this in place of all the other crap out there. If you look around at many of the IBS forums, you will find a great many swearing by this stuff. I feel like an idiot for never trying it before.

ICPrincess
07-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I wish wish wish that Colace had worked for me but it did nothing. I took up to three in a day and still nothing. If you have a real constipation problem, I am not so sure they do much of anything but soften what does come out but it has no ingredients to help propell and make you move. I tried several other things and they were awful. I read in several places that doctors don't really want you taking Colace every day either. I think in a perfect world, we wouldn't take them at all but we must. If I had to make a choice for safety and effectiveness, I think knowing what I know now, I would choose good old Phillips in a small dose every day.

I am just thrilled to find something that doesn't give me other troubles and works so quickly. It makes my IC less severe when I am not having IBS stuff. :)

PurpleKitty
07-21-2006, 05:18 PM
I have been using Milk of Magnesia everyday now for more than a year. It was the colo/rectal surgeon on my pelvic floor team that put me on it and said it is safe to take everyday as long as needed. He said the damage done by straining is much greater than the risk of MOM. I can get by easily on 1/3 to 1/2 the normal dose and it has made my life in that dept so much easier. I too find that my IC and pelvic floor are 100 times worse when my IBS is bad and I have to strain.

hurtingallover
07-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Mike magesium worked for me too I took it for four days I notice a difference..I actually feel like my life is better..My IC is bad that because I had juice I shouldn't have drink.,. But my IBS is controllable.. Better..:rolleyes: