PDA

View Full Version : Success with Benefiber

poetgirl
07-14-2006, 07:13 AM
As some of you know, I was having a difficult time these past few months with persistent IBS-D, gas and bloating. About 6 weeks ago I decided to start taking Benefiber in the hopes that it would help slow down my GI tract a little. It took some time but I am definitely doing better. I take 2 Benefiber capsules first thing in the morning before I eat and most days I feel pretty good. I have fewer trips to the bathroom (1-2 times a day, versus 4-5) and less gas. I still have some bloating which could be due to various factors but it's not as troublesome as it was before. I also take Benefiber when I know I'm going to be eating something that is higher in insoluble fiber, like a fruit smoothie. In that case, I blend some of the Benefiber powder into the smoothie and am able to get my recommended servings of fruit without it killing me!

Granted, I do have those days where my gut is more active, but given where I was two months ago (daily agony) I am functioning a lot more normally and feel better as a result. It took me a while to find the dosage of Benefiber that worked for me as well as the best time of day to take it, but what I'm doing now seems to do the trick most of the time.

I thought I'd pass this on to others who are having some of the same IBS-D problems.

July
08-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Are you still having good luck with the Benefiber? I've had such a flare up of ibs-d and c, bloating and gas. Maybe I'll run out and get some Benefiber.

kadi
08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
I've also just started taking Benefiber, about week and a half ago. Amazing how much it's helped with the constipation that I've struggled with for 2 years! I feel almost normal again:) I've also started taking it when I eat a salad and I don't get as blocked up & gassy as I did before I found it.
I started with 1/2 tsp (to make sure it didn't bother that picky bladder of mine!) and have gradually increased up to 2 T a day.

:)

mary124
08-11-2006, 03:40 AM
I have been taking this for about 3 months now, as I was having the same problems, after having a bunch of tests and they couldn't figure out what was wrong, they suggested not enough fiber in my diet. I don't take every day, probably every 2 days, 2Tablespoons at night. Now I go about twice a day. What a difference.

poetgirl
08-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Yes, I do much better when I remember to take it first thing in the morning! It sounds like others are having success with Benefiber too, which is great to hear! :) I hope it works for you too, July!

July
08-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm going to pick some up this weekend. Does everyone take the powder form?

kadi
08-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Yes, that's what I take b/c all it has is guar gum in it, no colorants, flavorings, preservatives. If you decide you like it, Costco has it very inexpensively compared to the grocery store, but you'll have a LOT of it.

July
08-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Great! I'm hoping it helps my IBS.

sddlebred
08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I thought guar gum was one of the things we were suppose to stay away from? isnt that what benefiber is? straight guar gum??? Iam sooooo confused now,, someone please help me. I just bought the acacia fiber stuff because I thought guar gum was bad for the IC????

Jo

kadi
08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi sddlebred, I've never heard of a problem with benefiber or guar gum for IC. One of the IBS websites says that acacia fiber is better, but guar gum/benefiber is fine & less expensive, another plus is that benefiber is easy to find at most drug & grocery stores... I bought a huge jar of benefiber at costco for very little $.

That's all I've heard.

readingmom
08-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I am so glad that Benefiber is helping with some of you. I don't want to interject anything negative in here, but my daughter has IBS and the Benefiber was making her worse. I couldn't figure out what was going on with her because her doctor told me to give it to her. Anyway, I read an article somewhere that said that guar gum could actually make some people worse. Just wanted to add that in case somebody tries it and doesn't get better!! I hope this is not the case for most people though. It's nice to have something that is cheap and over the counter!!